Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 08:08   #16

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Formosa questions or similar boats

Tayana boats are built by Ta-Yang Shipyards in Lin Yuan District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan, R.O.C. The quality of build has always best superior.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 08:37   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Many early Formosa & Cheoy Lee had very poor plywood as a base for the cabin, deck, cockpit, bulkheads etc. Many have rotted badly. I think this improved later on. The hulls were thick and stout. The Ta Chao or CT boats seemed to be better with molded decks and cabins, although some very early ones were pretty poor also. Tayana too.
Ta Shing built boats are very superior to all of those. (Baba and others)

It generally seems to be a particular yard and time period that matters. But, anything in the 70's, especially 60's to late mid 70's is pretty poor from what I've seen.
ct still had fg over wood decking and coachhouse roofing..transworld and island trader, coming into being after 1980 had molded decks and coachhouses. we are learning much about construction and history with the book my neighbor is creating on these jewels.
as there was so much variation in construction there can be no pat answer to any question regarding htese boats. until 1980 there was no formed/molded coachhouse/decking.
most cheoy lee were constructed in hong kong, few in taiwan.
all of these were brought to taiwan in form of molds which were used in formosa boat builders yard first then ta chiao. ct were all ta chiao after 1972. there were 3 brothers. all were formosa boat builders until 1972, then split occurred. yes fg boats were built in taiwan before 1970. no, formosa and ct didnot survive 1980, however transworld and island trader started around that time. they all have molded topsides. is a long and convoluted history with difficulty finding reality from fiction, however my neighbor has managed that.
the hull molds for ct 41 and formosa 41 are significantly different from each other, as seen when both are berthed next to each other, a s mine and a ct 41 are ... which brought about the beginning of the book neighbor is writing about these.
also includes the ta yang yard and history of tayana 37.... seems an early 1960s foto has a boat with 2 men on it that looks exactly like a tayana 37....many convolutions
to our histories and all are being uncovered. is most interesting.
after the boat has aged many years it is difficult to prove the quality is poor. in fact, we have found these are built much better than their reputation that precedes em. a history that was based on rumors and untruths is a fake history, which is part of reason why the book is being written. our experience has been contrary to these rumors.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:23   #18

Boat: Beneteau

I will take issue with the second post and it's salvo regarding production boats. What isn't produced when it comes to boats? They can be described with words like evolution but in reality this is not the case. To my thinking the Formosa is indeed the result of some production.

As for staying out sailing when others are not. I would think that as with anything to do with sailing it is mostly determined by the skipper and that would be under some advisement from the boat.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:11   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I will take issue with the second post and it's salvo regarding production boats. What isn't produced when it comes to boats? They can be described with words like evolution but in reality this is not the case. To my thinking the Formosa is indeed the result of some production.

As for staying out sailing when others are not. I would think that as with anything to do with sailing it is mostly determined by the skipper and that would be under some advisement from the boat.
production boats=assembly line produced. formosa=INDIVIDUALLY constructed one boat at a time. each boat is different.
production boats--each and all are identical. get it yet? there is a huge difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, formosa