Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 10:00   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331
Formosa 46 HIN numbers

I am looking to buy a Formosa 46 in three weeks and can up with a puzzle.
The HIN numbers of a normal Formosa 46 is FBB0460650782 but this boat is .......FCC008800578 I have seen this number once before on a 46 being listed in the KP44.org site. Was their another knockoff off of Kelly/Petersons during that time?
According to the date and hull number it was hull 88 built in May of 78 that is not possible that Formosa built 88 46s half way through their first year of building them. I just want to be sure I am getting a 46ft and know that it is a Formosa if that is what the bill of sale will say. Thanks for any help with this puzzle. It is never easy to buy a used sailboat many details and often foggy.
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:09   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: Formosa 46 HIN numbers

I had a 1981 Formosa 46 that I sold a year ago. Its HIN was FBB460330681.

It is my understanding that FBB indicates it was built by Formosa Boat.

I seem to recall that some of the original Peterson 44s were built in the CT yard. Is that a possible explanation for the FCC builder ID?
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:35   #3

I dont know about the KP46 hull, but many molds were moved around over there in Taiwan. My personal opinion is if built at Ta Chaio it's somewhat a step up from Formosa anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:33   #4

Thanks for the replys. I have been told that the FCC on a Formosa built boat means it was a custom build. Since I cannot find anything to counter that maybe that is correct.
It is never a simple thing to buy a used sailboat their are thousands of details to look at.
Unlike buying a house your life may depend on the quaility of the builder or prior owner.
Old 04-04-2014, 17:03   #5

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
Thanks for the replys. I have been told that the FCC on a Formosa built boat means it was a custom build. Since I cannot find anything to counter that maybe that is correct.
Well, here is something to counter that. My old Formosa was a custom build, and its HIN began with FBB.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 16:36   #6

It is quite a puzzle.
I just looked at every manufacturer name in HIN numbers issused by the USCG and their is no FCC I assume that the boat was not originally sold in the USA.
When buying a sailboat you would like to be sure what boat you are buying.
I think people just tend to believe the paperwork.
One more week I am finalizing the purchase
Old 23-04-2014, 01:15   #7

I will put this post to rest. I went and looked at the 46 Formosa with incorrect HIN numbers to see for myself. I traveled 10,000 miles to Malaysia to do this. The FCC number he had on his papers not FBB like every other Formosa.
I asked to look at the stern where the numbers are stamped in every Formosa. The owner told me he had his painter grind off those unsightly numbers off the hull. After looking at the papers I noticed that the vessel was USCG federally documented in it's past so I asked to see those numbers that have to be affixed to the inside of the vessel somewhere. The Canadian owner said I chiseled those unsightly numbers off the beam they were put into. I could not believe any sailboat owner would remove any numbers relating to the papers of the boat proving ownership.
I walked away from the deal to buy the boat, also their was allot of black oil mixed with seawater in the bilge under the motor.
Buying a sailboat is a major undertaking I was very close to buying this vessel. I was lucky no money was involved yet.
Old 23-04-2014, 09:47   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
I will put this post to rest. I went and looked at the 46 Formosa with incorrect HIN numbers to see for myself. I traveled 10,000 miles to Malaysia to do this. The FCC number he had on his papers not FBB like every other Formosa.
I asked to look at the stern where the numbers are stamped in every Formosa. The owner told me he had his painter grind off those unsightly numbers off the hull. After looking at the papers I noticed that the vessel was USCG federally documented in it's past so I asked to see those numbers that have to be affixed to the inside of the vessel somewhere. The Canadian owner said I chiseled those unsightly numbers off the beam they were put into. I could not believe any sailboat owner would remove any numbers relating to the papers of the boat proving ownership.
I walked away from the deal to buy the boat, also their was allot of black oil mixed with seawater in the bilge under the motor.
Buying a sailboat is a major undertaking I was very close to buying this vessel. I was lucky no money was involved yet.
Wow. Sounds like you dodged a bullet. I'd be very leary of that guy. Sounds like he's doing something shady.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa