Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2009, 21:51   #1

Boat: Lancer 28
Formosa 37 Pilothouse Cutter

I'm trying to find information on the Formosa 37, quality,sailing ability and anything else I can find good or bad.
I'm planning on moving to a larger, stabler boat than what I have now and the Formosa is available at a reasonable price. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ntnbetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 00:06   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I believe CF member Zeehag will be able to provide some info, if not, there is a formosa web group
Old 14-08-2009, 08:24   #3

Thank you anjou. I will go to the forum
Old 14-08-2009, 08:43   #4

You dont mention what year it is, but assuming it is probably '85 or older (more likely '70's) Generally they dont sail well to weather, but are comfortable sea boats and nice designs. Decks and cabins can be fiberglass over plywood, or just plywood and tend to have many severe issues. Some newer ones were real fiberglass decks etc. Usually the newer ones built with a mold are not teak decks. Boatbuilding as an art in the East was further into the learning curve when these boats were built and they tend to be much better boats. I have seen many with a lot of chopper gun fiberglass work, especially tabbing in the furniture and hull to deck joint inside. It's pretty hard to say if this is an issue depending on how extensively the chopper gun was used. What they missed in details they made up with a lot of glass! Still , they can be lovely boats and a bargain if you are very careful about what you are buying. If you are sailing Puget Sound etc and not trying to become a world sailor, then Chopper gun etc are not as big an issue.... Bottom line: Your biggest risk is plywood and possibly wooden spars if it has those. (all of the above are general comments on the early Formosa boats and not specific to the 37 footer)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 09:11   #5

Thanks Cheechako, The boat is a 1982 and says its a GRP sndwhich Teak overlay, I guess anytime you fasten to a sandwhich it can take water.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:32   #6

Yea, all those plugs and screwholes, on the other hand a lot of boats have that. It sounds like a "newer" one, I looked at one years ago... I think it was a 37 pilot house, really just more of a cabin "bump up" with large windows. I really liked the feel of that boat.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:43   #7

Yes, this one is in Anacortes and the more I find out about the boat the better I like it. When I bought my Lancer all I herd was bad and I've really enjoyed learning to sail on her. For just sailing and just for me it is a fun boat. My wife on the other hand hates the tenderness and comfort of the Lancer.
Old 14-08-2009, 11:24   #8

Well, the Formosa is a real "crab crusher", she should like being out in it a lot more. The lancer's are not a very highly respected boat, even for production boats, But in the end, if it floats and serves your purpose, it's done it's job!
Old 14-08-2009, 11:29   #9

like this one?

I'm only 15 mins away from Anacortes... I think the boat I looked at was a CT Pilothouse... I just looked on line at a F37
Old 14-08-2009, 18:54   #10

To Late

I was just informed the F37 just sold. Guess I've got to keep looking. If you've got any suggestions on a wife friendly cruiser in the 15 to 20 thousand rang I'd sure appreciate them
Old 17-08-2009, 08:28   #11

15-20K? wow that might have been a bargain... or maybe it was pretty rough?
Old 17-08-2009, 08:54   #12

Smile Just a little late

I talked to a sailor that went aboard the F37 an he said it had very restricted head room (he is 5'10") and he wasn't to sure of the soundness of the deck, made me feel a little better anyway. Have to stick to the Catalinas and Ericsons
Old 17-08-2009, 11:32   #13

The Ranger 33's are pretty good boats as well as the 29's , the Ericson 35 is a good boat. Even a Newport 33 would be a good replacement for your Lancer. All these are usually available in the NW at reasonable prices. Search up to $25k or 30K and see if you can negotiate one into your budget! Start out about 30% below asking price depending one th boat.
Old 17-08-2009, 14:31   #14

I just looked at a Ericson 33 and it was kind of ruff , looks like a lot more sailing then maintenance . It was 19500 and needed lots of work. My wife really likes the Catalina 30 for space and anchored comfort. Hope they sail OK. Going out on one tomorrow. Think I'd be ahead getting something she likes than something that would be a lot of fun to sail. I'd be sailing a heck of a lot more than I am Now
Old 17-08-2009, 14:36   #15

If 30 is a big enough step up for you both then the Catalinas are all pretty much good boats. I was Charter Advisor for a number of Cat 30's. For a little more room look at the ones I mentioned above. There are several in the NW.

Tags
cutter, formosa