Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 17:36   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantokex View Post
Just spoke to the owner dave and the fellow in the marina in mexico taking care of it, and closed the deal on the boat :-)

-Wantok
So you got it?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 17:45   #17

yuppers, I figured it was one of those "do it now or loose it" situations so we did it. cant wait to fly down :-)

-Wantokex
Old 04-06-2008, 17:49   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Good for you!! Congrats!
Old 04-06-2008, 17:50   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
yuppers, I figured it was one of those "do it now or loose it" situations so we did it. cant wait to fly down :-)

-Wantokex
Congratulations.
I assume you will post on your site.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 17:51   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just spoke to the owner dave and the fellow in the marina in mexico taking care of it, and closed the deal on the boat :-) jess is going to fly down this later this week!!! seems she did not like the Gulfstar I bought and told me after looking the morgan if I did not get it she was not sailing away for teh sumer with me, lol so now I am have to put the gulfstar up on ebay, lol anybody looking for a fixer upper 36 cc ms gulfstar :-)

-Wantok
If that's true - congratulations! I read your blog after you posted, and it sounds like the Gulfstar project was a huge undertaking. If you do get the Morgan, do you still intend to take her around to Rio Dulce? It seems to me that if the Morgan is in decent shape, and you refit her in PV, you are in the perfect position to start your cruise by jumping off from there for the Marquesas.

One other thing - since you have a macaw. Please do not make the same mistake other cruisers made - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-13838.html - and leave the US without first obtaining the necessary paperwork on a bird that is listed on the CITES treaty (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). Those of us trying to save Gulliver's life, and repatriate him to the US, can assure you that if you leave the country without "clearing out" with USFWS, etc. your bird will very likely be impounded and possibly euthanized when you try to return.

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2008, 18:08   #21

The gulfstar has had some work done on here since our last blog post, been to bizzy working. but for the amount of money it was going to cost for engine repower ($8500 + $2500 installation) new sails ($10,000 to start) not to mention the other stuff this will work out a bitter deal, but guess we will skip the rio :-( and it changes a bunch of our other plans but we are flexible. as for our macaw, she is family, I read that article a few weeks ago and was so pissed off. I used to work in PNG and the solomon's collecting marine fish and inverts for the pet stores so know all about the paper work for critters. and have already started in on it.

-Wantokex
Old 04-06-2008, 18:23   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The gulfstar has had some work done on here since our last blog post, been to bizzy working. but for the amount of money it was going to cost for engine repower ($8500 + $2500 installation) new sails ($10,000 to start) not to mention the other stuff this will work out a bitter deal, but guess we will skip the rio :-( and it changes a bunch of our other plans but we are flexible. as for our macaw, she is family, I read that article a few weeks ago and was so pissed off. I used to work in PNG and the solomon's collecting marine fish and inverts for the pet stores so know all about the paper work for critters. and have already started in on it.

-Wantokex
I hope, for your sake, it doesn't prove to be a "bitter deal," Wantokex. Did all of that happen after you saw the item here on Cruisers Forum?

Glad to know that you are a responsible pet owner, although your previous occupation in the South Pacific leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Still, I'm glad Kiva has someone who cares.

Best of luck to you and Jess in your adventures. It's clear you are on the right track to a successful cruising life, given your statement, " . . . it changes a bunch of our other plans, but we are flexible."

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2008, 18:37   #23

well if it helps the taste in your mouth :-), we were very green and instigated coral and clam farming with pay outs to the local villages for farming for us. Along with non-destructive collecting (ie, all hand netted with no poisons used) along with size and number limited collection for assured breeding.

a friend sent me a link for the boat and had the deal done when I found it on here, lol. the boat systems and work I/we can manage the part the is scaring me to death is home schooling a 11 year old boy!!!!!

-Wantokex
Old 04-06-2008, 19:35   #24

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
People new to the Forum with big dreams and small bank accounts often ask about bluewater-capable vessels that might be obtained for small sums, and the truth is that such a thing is rare, if it's even possible at all.
"Small sums" is very relative and subjective, but I would argue that it's quite possible to find a bluewater-capable vessel for a small sum. It is these kinds of comments that perpetuates the myth that you need to have a lot of money to buy a boat that can take you around the world and discourages people from trying to fulfill their dreams.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 19:39   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
"Small sums" is very relative and subjective, but I would argue that it's quite possible to find a bluewater-capable vessel for a small sum. It is these kinds of comments that perpetuates the myth that you need to have a lot of money to buy a boat that can take you around the world and discourages people from trying to fulfill their dreams.
Nonsense.

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2008, 20:18   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As promised, I said I would update if I received a reply from the owner of Shimmer:

TaoJones, We should all know that the truth is stranger than fiction...It's true! SHIMMER is for sale and as inexpensively as I can bear...I just am finished with her.

I have been sailing SHIIMMER for 7 years from St John, USVI to East Coast Ports, Bermuda, Bahamas, other Caribbean ports and in 2007 &2008 to Mexican ports. It has been an interesting and valuable experience for me, and she's a good boat, but she was never my choice in cruising boat. My former partner wanted SHIMMER and in these past two years has been owner in office only with me paying for all services and fees for the benefit of cruising. I now have a new partner with a better boat...So in order to simplify my life I thought that I would try to get SHIMMER to the SF Bay Area to sell her. Logistics and parts availability in Bahias de Huatulco kept me from sailing until 17th of May. The end result was stiff weather on the nose. I could get SHIMMER to SF Bay area most likely in November 08, but I would have to support two vessels in two countries for the rest of the year and then maybe not get much for the effort. The truth is it is quite beautiful in Puerto Vallarta and fairly protected from the hurricanes... And there are services there! So SHIMMER is for sale and inexpensively, since perhaps the head gasket on the engine is blown.
I have sailed her to 20 countries and over 27,000nm which is more than enough to decide it's time for a different boat.

If you are interested in SHIMMER talk to John Loomis of ONBOARD MARINE in Puerto Vallarta. Hurry since I have replied to forty people today.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

So, to those who felt this whole story was a crock, it looks like you missed the boat - literally.

TaoJones
Old 05-06-2008, 04:25   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wow! For anyone wanting to sell a boat, just figure out how to get it featured in a major sailing media.

(Oh - and sell it for a song)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:34   #28

The best part was it was labeled wrong in the story as a Morgan O/I and it turned out it was a Classic centerboard.

-Wantokex
Old 05-06-2008, 13:06   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The best part was it was labeled wrong in the story as a Morgan O/I and it turned out it was a Classic centerboard.

-Wantokex
You're right, Wantokex, although 'Lectronic Latitude corrected that in their updated version, and ran a picture of your new vessel - that sounds good, doesn't it?

TaoJones
Old 19-06-2008, 14:01   #30

Update on the shimmer (soon to be Mensrea II) nearly done closing the deal on the boat paid for most of it and just waiting for jesses passport to come in to go down. Boat was pretty much loaded for offshore, had a local mech board her and take apart the head gasket, nothing major some preventitive engine work and a larger heat exchanger. (sent me the bill in peso's and had a heart attack till I saw the notation about exchange rate) But let me tell you the marina fees in PV are nuts, current location is charging $650 per month I payed less in miami!!!

wantokex