Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2015, 19:23   #1

Boat: Tashiba 31
folding prop yes or no

31' Tashiba and thinking about a folding prop to gain a knot. What is your opinion?
Rhubarbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 19:30   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: folding prop yes or no

I like the idea of an extra knot...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 19:30   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My first choice would be a feathering prop, like the Max Prop, or something similar. Maybe a Flex-o-Fold (?), I'm uncertain as to whether I have the name correct.
There are a lot of propeller threads on here, with loads of advice, including some empirical testing of the different options.
That said, yes, pretty much anything's better than a fixed prop. And it's not that folders are bad, they're just old technology anymore is all. But if they're all you're budget can handle, then definitely, snag one. And regardless of what you get, keep your old fixed prop around as a spare.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 20:17   #4

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

Yes to folding prop. I prefer 3blade for reverse.
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 20:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

For a non-race boat I would probably go with a feathering prop instead of folding. They will give you most of the drag reduction (about 95% of it) but have much better performance under motor than the folders. Many feathering props actually have better thrust and control in reverse than fixed ones.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 20:57   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
My first choice would be a feathering prop, like the Max Prop, or something similar. Maybe a Flex-o-Fold (?), I'm uncertain as to whether I have the name correct.
There are a lot of propeller threads on here, with loads of advice, including some empirical testing of the different options.
That said, yes, pretty much anything's better than a fixed prop. And it's not that folders are bad, they're just old technology anymore is all. But if they're all you're budget can handle, then definitely, snag one. And regardless of what you get, keep your old fixed prop around as a spare.
With all due respect, folding props are about equally 'old technology" as feathering props... they have both been around a long time.

The pros and cons--

Feathering
Pro: more static thrust in reverse
adjustable pitch (some models)

Cons: poor efficiency due to flat blades
complexity of design and structure
more maintenance required
cost

Folding
Pros
better efficiency due to twisted blade shape
slightly less drag sailing
simple mechanical design
cost (much less than feathering)

Cons
less static thrust in reverse

To me it is a no-brainer decision, and I have had several examples of each over the years. And IMO, the three blade Flex-O-Fold is the pick of the litter.

Jim
Old 19-07-2015, 21:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With all due respect, folding props are about equally 'old technology" as feathering props... they have both been around a long time.

The pros and cons--

Feathering
Pro: more static thrust in reverse
adjustable pitch (some models)

Cons: poor efficiency due to flat blades
complexity of design and structure
more maintenance required
cost

Folding
Pros
better efficiency due to twisted blade shape
slightly less drag sailing
simple mechanical design
cost (much less than feathering)

Cons
less static thrust in reverse

To me it is a no-brainer decision, and I have had several examples of each over the years. And IMO, the three blade Flex-O-Fold is the pick of the litter.

Jim
Could not agree more, I'm not aware of any feathering prop that has the forward thrust of the Flexofold.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 22:43   #8

I have a three blade Kiwi prop and the next boat will have the larger 4 blade kiwi.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 23:10   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We have almost 2,400 hours on our Gori 3-blade folding prop and couldn't be happier with it.

Our boat has an aft cabin and our engine is coupled to a hydraulic transmission, therefore, getting the prop to stop turning while underway sailing makes our cabin much quieter.

The Gori prop has two different pitches, one theoretically for forward and the other for reverse. However, you can drive the boat in either direction at either attitude, which give a huge advantage when maneuvering in tight quarters. Want some prop walk? Go in reverse with the prop in the forward attitude. Need some very powerful reverse? Switch the blades to the reverse attitude. Gori refers to the going-forward-with-the-blades-n-the-reverse-attitude overdrive but we rarely use the feature.

Also, the Gori requires no scheduled maintenance, unlike many feathering props. There are some rubber blade stops that need replacing periodically, but it's simple to do in the water.

Not only does the Gori come with a prop puller but it costs less than many feathering props.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 00:05   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I love my folding prop. It's so simple, and there is nothing to snag on ropes or weed. It's not brilliant in astern, but with sensible planning that's not a big issue for me. A bigger issue with some boats is that it can be hard to fit a folder in the space available behind the prop (ie rudder or skeg in the way). Even a feathering can be a a bit bigger than a fixed blade in aft clearances.

Also, the changeover won't give you an extra knot all the time. Up to a knot at times maybe, but probably more like half a knot, but hull speed limits will still apply.

But you may notice the boat being easier to steer, and needing less sail area, and heel for similar speeds. Another great advantage is no free wheeling prop. So for me a definate yes! Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-07-2015, 00:15   #11

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Looking at the tashiba 31, it's going to be real hard to squeeze a folder in the aperture. Much as I prefer the folders I would think a two bladed feathering prop would work better on her, if aligned vertically it would reduce cross flow through the aperture and really help the steering, and the blades would be well protected from catching anything.

The extra grunt astern would be useful on a heavy long keeled hull like yours.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-07-2015, 00:41   #12

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Around what are we looking at for a price for each one?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 01:46   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On this, keep in mind too, that there are plenty of all of the types & models mentioned, which are available used. And also, some varieties of these kinds of props can be sent back to the factory for refurbishment, to put them into essentially new condition. IE; Replacing worn metal on the gears/teeth, filling in pitting on the blades, re-balancing the blades/props, etc.
So it pays, literally, to do a bit of research, prior to purchasing a new or used prop.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 03:50   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I doubt you will get a knot, but still say yes.
Old 20-07-2015, 04:17   #15

How much speed increase depends on what the current prop is don't you think?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote