Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 20:07   #1

Flying junior sailboat good beginner boat?

I recently found a 15ft flying junior sailboat for sale and have been considering purchasing it. I'm a new sailor so I want some second opinions but will a flying junior be okay for a beginner? Actually three beginners?

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 20:13   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Flying junior sailboat good beginner boat?

Yes, yes and yes. Have fun!
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 21:12   #3

FJ's have long been used by sailing schools because of their suitability for new sailors. The biggest caveats are that they can take on a bit of water in rough seas so are best suited to calmer waters unless you like that sort if thing, and since they're an older boat you'll need to give it a good going over and replace anything that seems suspect.

Good boat overall so have a blast!
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 21:50   #4

Boat: too many

My family's first sailboat about 50 years ago and we were all beginners back then.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20   #5

Thumbs up Re: Flying junior sailboat good beginner boat?

All replies are right on the money. The FJ was our family's first sailboat 50 years ago and I am still an active sailor. Moving a 46 foot Choi Lee from Tampa to Key West this weekend. We almost lost the boat because we did not realize the rubber expansion discs at the end of both water tight flotation compartments had dry rotted. When I capsized the boat the third or fourth time , the boat started sinking. Luckily my brother in the family skiff was nearby and noticed my waving and screaming. We successfully towed the boat ashore and eventually made the necessary repairs to those rubber discs which are about 4 or 5 inches in diameter on either side of the boat. I can't remember where exactly they are located. The boat has a planeing hull rather than displacement hull which makes it much faster, more fun but much more unstable so just pretend you are in a canoe with a sail and you will be fine. Hold on tight and Enjoy!
SidViciousthewanderingWalrusoffedexfame
swhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:14   #6

Thanks very much for the advice : ) I can't wait to start sailing!

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:32   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
I recently found a 15ft flying junior sailboat for sale and have been considering purchasing it. I'm a new sailor so I want some second opinions but will a flying junior be okay for a beginner? Actually three beginners?
Excellent starter boat. It should have a spinnaker as standard. If it doesn't you can add one and never want to sail anything else. Well, perhaps a Flying Dutchman...
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44   #8

Boat: Antares 44i

Boy, does that take me back! At fifteen, my family bought a used FJ to support my new passion. I sailed it on the City Reservoir in Calgary Alberta (an unlikely start!).

43 years later, after raising a family of sailors, my wife and I are planning a year of cruising, two years out, of the coast of South America, the Caribbean, across the pond, and throughout the Med.

It's a good hull, a mainsail, jib, rudder and centerboard. All you need to learn to the most important parts of sailing. I wish your fair winds and Godspeed on your adventure, and hope your entire family catches the bug!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:03   #9

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

I'm a newbie too and starting out on an O'Day DaySailer 3. Just waiting until spring to give a whirl! I've looked at lots of these sub-20' day sailers from different manufacturers. They all are fairly similar, most are open bow or have a small cuddy cabin and some have a bit more than that like berths and a porta-potty. It all depends on how many people you plan to carry and what kinds of things you plan on doing with your boat.

My specs for a boat where mostly to be able to get it to the lake using our economy cars, it couldn't be very heavy. Secondly, I wanted something with two sails in a sloop rig just to get the hang of this commonly used rig. When I move up in many years ahead, I'll have more of an understanding how this all works. Finally, I wanted a cabin or at least a cuddy cabin because I would like to try camping with it. Using a boom tent expands the room the small O'Day DaySailer has in the cuddy cabin.

I think you'll do well with the Flying Junior. I'm not speaking from experience but from my research for my own needs and you said you want to do this with 3 people it shouldn't be a problem for having fun on the lake during the day. There isn't much storage on this boat so if you want to do more or if you need to have a portapotty for the ladies then you may want to look for something a bit bigger.

From the pictures I found and some reading I've done on this boat, it seems to be used for racing a lot. I saw some people hiking out (hanging over the side) on this boat. This isn't something newbies are real comfortable with or for Significant Other's that are a bit nervous.

The problem with shopping for a boat now if you are in the northern winter locked latitudes is that most of these small boats have either been sold or put away until spring when the seller may be able to get a better price. There isn't much in this small boat category right now. I've looked on Kajiji, Ebay, SailboatListings, CraigsList, etc. The inventory is really low right now. I bought mine in November and found a seller willing to hold it for me until spring.

Enjoy the adventure, it's a lot of fun. I just can't wait for the snow to go away.
mlucasparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04   #10

Ours never had a spinnaker, just a jib. We also bought ours used. Easy to tow and launch, we would pull the summit of hwy 50 from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe and then Fallen Leaf Lake towing with a 1963 Ford Falcon with a 6 cylinder engine and manual transmission. So, whatever you have will have no problems towing it.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12   #11

IMO, the Flying Junior is a good boat for learning, but not a good boat for three to learn on simultaneously.

And it also depends on the people. The FJ is a sit-on boat, not a sit-in boat. That means no back rest. Young people might not mind, but I would find it too uncomfortable after about an hour. There are plenty of beginner-friendly sailboats that have back-friendly seating.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
IMO, the Flying Junior is a good boat for learning, but not a good boat for three to learn on simultaneously.
3 or 4 no problem, are you thinking of an El Toro?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:34   #13

Have a ball. We had 5 or 6 FJs (and a Flying Scot) back in 1977, in our club at the University of West Florida. Sailed the bay. Taught sailing for the Red Cross in them. Best job I ever had. Find some others and race, it's great practice and learning.
Jahsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucasparris View Post
I'm a newbie too and starting out on an O'Day DaySailer 3. Just waiting until spring to give a whirl! I've looked at lots of these sub-20' day sailers from different manufacturers. They all are fairly similar, most are open bow or have a small cuddy cabin and some have a bit more than that like berths and a porta-potty. It all depends on how many people you plan to carry and what kinds of things you plan on doing with your boat.

My specs for a boat where mostly to be able to get it to the lake using our economy cars, it couldn't be very heavy. Secondly, I wanted something with two sails in a sloop rig just to get the hang of this commonly used rig. When I move up in many years ahead, I'll have more of an understanding how this all works. Finally, I wanted a cabin or at least a cuddy cabin because I would like to try camping with it. Using a boom tent expands the room the small O'Day DaySailer has in the cuddy cabin.

I think you'll do well with the Flying Junior. I'm not speaking from experience but from my research for my own needs and you said you want to do this with 3 people it shouldn't be a problem for having fun on the lake during the day. There isn't much storage on this boat so if you want to do more or if you need to have a portapotty for the ladies then you may want to look for something a bit bigger.
FJ is an entirely different animal. Dinghy, not day sailer. Training, learning, enjoying pure sailing and if you want, capable of sportive sailing. Not a coffee & cognac type of vessel.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
3 or 4 no problem, are you thinking of an El Toro?
I'm thinking of a boat with a 12' waterline, 209 lb displacement, and 100Sq.ft. sail area.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat