Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 21:19   #1

Flexiteek?

Anyone have any experience with this product?

https://www.flexiteek.com/
RLB64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:18   #2

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270
Re: Flexiteek?

It was a factory option we went with on our Moody 45DS that was delivered to us in July 2020 in Bonaire. However, given all the various Covid lock downs we have no real experience using it yet. We went with the ‘washed white’ colour option. It is a tad on the ‘yellowish’ side when wet but very good as a non-slip surface and it seems to clean up really well. We will get a lot more time on the boat over the next while and I will report back on how hot it gets on a 30C Sunny day. If you go to the Moody website and look at the 45DS 3D views or the Video tour given by the young lady you will see how ours looks as they used our boat for those.
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:41   #3

Fantastic. I’ll be watching.
To a happy and healthy 2021!
It’s an option for X-Yachts we are
considering.
Old 14-12-2020, 13:01   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

It is factory installed on out 2005 H38 that we sail on in the summer in the med. The flexiteek looks OK, lasts long, but gets hotter then the gelcoat in the sun.
Walking barefoot on it in the sun is not a pleasure to say it polite, bloody hot!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 13:18   #5

The new Flexiteek 2.0 is supposed to be cooler. 2005 sounds like Flexiteek 1.0.
Thank you for the input - this is my major concern. This is for the Miami/Bahamas/Caribbean. Hot!!
Old 14-12-2020, 13:34   #6

We have the Ver 2.0, or so the paperwork shows. We went with the washed white to try and keep it as cool as possible. I think I left my IR thermometer in Bonaire and if so I will take some readings and post them. Some of my marina mates have real teak decking that I can do a comparison with. I am on my way down on Thursday, that is if if I pass my Covid test tomorrow. ��
Old 14-12-2020, 14:46   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’ve laid both the original and later product , are you intending to fit it yourself ?

The original teak coloured product would literally burn the soles of your feet in the med, we couldnt sit on the swim platform , without dowsing it with water all the time

The later version “ is a bit better “ but to my mind , not enough , the light coloured versions are much better , but then it’s nothing like Teak

You need to follow the installation instructions precisely , especially around gluing , catalysts etc , I’ve seen way too much of it detach and it’s very hard to fix it back successfully
Old 14-12-2020, 14:56   #8

Boat: Sceptre 36

Had it on a charter boat in Grenada, hotter than hell on the feet.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 14:58   #9

This would be installed by the Boat Builder, X-Yachts.
It is actually more expensive than real teak. So, I may reconsider.
Old 14-12-2020, 15:10   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB64 View Post
This would be installed by the Boat Builder, X-Yachts.
It is actually more expensive than real teak. So, I may reconsider.
I wouldn’t put either on the boat
Old 14-12-2020, 15:59   #11

How long do you have to make the choice? I am not sure if Hanse/Moody even offered a ‘no teak’ version. When I did a factory tour this last January it seemed most of the boats in production had some form of teak being applied. Mostly it was the real stuff, as the Flexiteek option was a few Thou more IIRC. The Dehler line of boats, also made in the same factory seemed to be just Gelcoat, or at least from what I remember. We did know that heat was more of an issue with the synthetic product. But the 45DS has the built in Bimini over most of the cockpit and we added an additional aftermarket Bimini over the two aft helm stations. So we have some shade protection from the higher sun angles. Again we have no real time with the boat so............time will tell. If the fold down swim platform is a problem I guess we can scoop some seawater on it or wash it down with the outside shower head. As I noted above I will try and get some actual surface temperatures from the Flexiteek, some Real Teak and then some bare white Gelcoats, under the same weather conditions. It will be interesting to test some ‘fresh’ or newer Real Teak to some of the more ‘aged’ surfaces. Like any Marina ours (Harbour Village) has a selection of pristine and not so pristine boats. I do think I left my remote IR thermometer down there (I use it to check on the A/C systems in our house). With that I can check other boats without boarding them.

What model of X-Yacht are you going with? They were on our short list. Cheers,
Old 14-12-2020, 17:47   #12

Still at least a year out for making final decision. This timeline is dependent on us moving to Miami. I will be transferring there to finish my last 7 years flying for American Airlines - 777/787 Capt.
Attending Düsseldorf Boot show in 13 months for final decision - Jan ‘22
We are sold on X-4.9. Flexiteek is an option being offered.
Old 18-12-2020, 07:49   #13

Boat: Moody 41AC

We have Flexiteak factory fitted in Germany on our moody41ac . We have it just on decks not the cabin roof . After 5 years it still looks good and people ask if we are a new boat. If it gets too much dirt a very light sand removes a mark but generally we find this just around the entry gate with a dog. We went for it after seeing a retrofit version on another Moody41ac we test sailed . I just thought it was better to have factory fitted even though more than teak deck. Clearly some colours are garish but you can of course have the white strips etc if looking for a young look with slate grey or whatever. If interested I would get down to your local marina to look at a few examples of different colours on actual deck .we went for Bleached having seen it on test boat in case of interest.
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 13:39   #14

Nice. Appreciate it.
Old 18-12-2020, 18:37   #15

Well we spent today on our 45DS on Bonaire in the direct sun and air temps at +30C. Bare-feet was not a problem at all, both the wife and I walked all around the Flexiteek decking. I did not get a chance to do any temp comparison, but I will over the next while and post my results. Again we have the ‘Washed White” colour.