Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Flex teak any opinions?

I am also thinking about installing Tek-Dek on my cabin sole to cover the 100 screw holes that the PO used to hold his carpeting!!!

I am starting to cover the cockpit sole and seats first. I will put the Tek-Dek in the cabin first for a look-see and if it doesn't look too stupid, I will install the material on the cabin sole.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:00   #17

Boat: Nassau 34

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;1746115]Flex teak is attractive enough. I believe it is hotter than white glass decks.

Hotter- definitely, I started to use a similiar product on my boat, did the bow, after trying to walk on it last summer- I stopped and am really considering removing it- hot as hell! in Summer sun, couldn't walk on it barefoot!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

I can't comment on the others, but this sums up my thoughts on Plasteak

So long, goodbye, good riddance! Failed after 5 years..
Old 11-02-2015, 11:43   #19

Boat: nauticat 33

I had a similar problem on my Nauticat 33. After much research I decided on a DIY job using Tek Dek from Wilks manufacturing based in Essex UK. I allowed the original damaged teak decks to dry out in the Spanish sunshine and removed all the interior head liners to expose the wet core which was dried out using a fan heater and de-humidifier for several months. When it was all dried out I sealed the teak and then sealed and secured 10mm marine ply over the decks. I then had a good flat surface to fix the Tek Dek onto. It was not a job I would do again and still have a lot of cleaning up to do. Accordingly I think laying Tek Dek or similar products is only for talented DIY people or the professionals. The end result is OK but not as lovely as the professionally laid decks. I wish you well in your endeavours.
paulnorkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:03   #20

Boat: Alsberg Brothers, Express 37, 37'

Consider "Kiwi Grip" if you decide not to use a teak substitute. Great non-skid and easy to apply in one to two days. Jamestown distributors sells the product.

Shawn I.
S/V Friction Loss, j30
J30sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:20   #21

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

The key to any of these products is the install. Deck or cabin sole, especially around the hatches in the cabin sole. You have to make borders around the hatches, just like on the deck. You can't leave end cuts it will look horrible, and if you don't nail the curves and the 45 cuts in the corners, equal spacing and all it will look horrible. As far as the decks are concerned since many of these products are just templated to full lenght of the project, you don't have any butt joints or broken seams. It looks like one giant long run, which isn't possible in the real world of wood, so it looks fake. Hey to each his own. Once you have a long run with no breaks in the boards it looks fake. Like i said I think on maybe a Formula or a rear deck, swim platform etc. I think it looks fine, but it is hot as hell to the bare foot and In my experience (which yes I know no one really cares about) it looks phoney on long runs. Just saying. Plasdeck does make the hatch covers with borders and the reverse border on the cabin sole, so it does look good in that respect. Their product also isn't individual strips you glue down. It comes as one big piece, so it doesn't split in the seams, as shown in the picture of the other product shown on here that the owner pulled up.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 21:58   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I've laid two decks in Flexi teak and owned a third boat with it.

Firstly you need similar skills to laying a wood deck, if you are confident you can do that great. Otherwise consider templates and getting then" mats" made professionally.

In my experience it's not cheaper then real wood either, albeit slightly faster to install.

Flexi teak has a real problem with heat buildup and I'd think carefully about using it in any sort of high temperature semi tropical climate. In the med, outs was so hot it burned the soles of our feet at times

It will never look like real wood and anyone that knows boats can tell. But it's a fine substitute once you accept what it's not. It does discolour a bit and it's not impervious to some stains
Old 14-02-2015, 21:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
We were looking at a boat that need the decks replaced. While walking the docks, we saw some guys replacing teak decks on a Sea Ray. It looked almost real so we asked them about it. They worked for Bogantec, the company that makes the decks. Anyone with the skills can install it though.

It's about 1/4" thick. I think they said it was something like 60% bamboo. If I remember correctly, the cost was about $80 sq/ft, compared to $200 sq/ft for the real thing.
I will second Julie Mor on the Bogantech deck using the American wood product material. It is unlike any other synthetic. Reason for that is the pvc type material is less than 50 %, while more than half is wood. Looks very good- just not sure how it will hold up 10 years from now.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 22:54   #24

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Why is eveyone so keen on teak? Very soft so easily damaged and VERY expensive. A lot of teak is now platation grown and inferior to the old growth timber that was traditionally use. It gained popularity for racing boats in the old days when they where made of wood but lots of other woods where used as well. Most work-boats used pine but any durable wood is worth looking at. Iroko, if selected is as durable and wears better, cedar is excellent very light and around 1/5 the cost of teak. It is the most common deck material in this part of the world and lasts as well as teak does. Often the alternatives are as good or better and MUCH cheaper. Forget fashion and look at the quality and availability of the timber.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 23:25   #25

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40

This is Flexiteak, with real teak visible near the cockpit for comparison. I think it looks great.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1423984972.255144.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	97155Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1423984997.278973.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	97156Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1423985011.227544.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	145.3 KB