Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 19:25   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
None of them cover salt water towing for $100. Tow Boat US starts at $149 for that and Sea Tow starts at $169.

Your point on salvage is a reminder. Your tow membership does not cover salvage. You are not the only person I've seen to think it should be a tow and the tow company wanted to call it salvage. Everyone please make sure you have salvage coverage on your boat insurance. Even if you don't have hull protection on your own boat, have salvage, as salvage costs start high and only get worse. And, yes, you can get salvage coverage on a liability policy.
One little clause often used in insurance riders deals with the coast guard limit for pollution control. God forbid your boat sinks during a storm whether at sea or at a dock/mooring the limit the coast guard can levy against you for cost is $864,000.00. So you're trying to get your boat salvaged, now your getting hit with the cleanup cost for any spillage of fuel or oil, gee the limit they can charge you for is $864,000.00, but don't worry, anything above that is waived. If your insurance doesn't cover it, or has limitations your wide open for that cost up too that limit. The environmental companies tend to swoop in and sit on site until the limit is reached, no matter how little escapes, just in case.
It pays to do a little reading on the subject before signing up for insurance coverage.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:33   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IIRC BoatUS towing and other tow insurance plans will not do anything for you until you've been a member for 30 days. They know that a lot of folks will say "I'd like to buy insurance" and then call back an hour later "Gee, I need a tow."

Uhuh. They're wise to that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 04:38   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gary (roguejack).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 13:02   #49

Thanks all for the suggestions

I need a insured company to tow me less then a 8th of a mile out of the dock.

Everything else is inline. I could use sea tow or US, but 600.00 for a ride out of the marina is ABSURD! Anyone know a person with towing insurance

240 586 0951 please have them call me asap.
SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 13:10   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post

Everything else is inline. I could use sea tow or US, but 600.00 for a ride out of the marina is ABSURD! Anyone know a person with towing insurance

If you have to have insurance on the boat then confirm your own coverage, wait for slack tide and calm winds and tow yourself out with the dinghy. Tie up abreast.

Otherwise, I don't know of any independent tow operations anymore so your stuck with the $600. Welcome to the world of yachting.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 13:50   #51

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
One little clause often used in insurance riders deals with the coast guard limit for pollution control. God forbid your boat sinks during a storm whether at sea or at a dock/mooring the limit the coast guard can levy against you for cost is $864,000.00. So you're trying to get your boat salvaged, now your getting hit with the cleanup cost for any spillage of fuel or oil, gee the limit they can charge you for is $864,000.00, but don't worry, anything above that is waived. If your insurance doesn't cover it, or has limitations your wide open for that cost up too that limit. The environmental companies tend to swoop in and sit on site until the limit is reached, no matter how little escapes, just in case.
It pays to do a little reading on the subject before signing up for insurance coverage.
Great write up. Makes you think about owning a boat? Maybe we should get into the oil containment business? I can fully understand the towing companies delineating between tow and salvage. I believe the recreation boater tows at slanted to the engine took a dump and the dumb asses " I ran out of fuel." not towards I put it in the rocks and the cost reflex that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 14:11   #52

Boat: Various

Quote:

A person with towing insurance can't get your boat towed. So you know of people who can do it and just aren't willing to pay the price? You didn't know buying this boat was going to be very expensive? They take on substantial liability the moment they take the job.

Do you have insurance? Is that part of the problem too that you don't have any?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 14:32   #53

Quote:
A person with towing insurance can't get your boat towed. So you know of people who can do it and just aren't willing to pay the price? You didn't know buying this boat was going to be very expensive? They take on substantial liability the moment they take the job.

As I recall, there was a clause if you where in command of someone else's boat? I doubt that would apply. Seems it would be tow not transit.

All of the talk about getting tow companies to assume the risk seems parochial if after the fact. I'm not even sure it wouldn't had the towing policy been had previously.
Old 28-10-2014, 14:41   #54

Quote:

I'm in a time crunch, and i never said i would not pay sea tow to do it....I would prefer not to pay 600 for a 10 min pull.....

If someone knows a person with a tow company in the area, that can tow a 36' boat 10 mins, and has insurance for the company, have them give me a call please. Speculation is not helping me get this boat saved. It's more then i want to type out now....I'm busy doing other things in prep. I need a tow boat company to tow her 10 mins...And i have money to pay.
Old 28-10-2014, 14:56   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I think the question about your insurance was still not answered though.

Coops.
Old 28-10-2014, 15:04   #56

Quote:
I'm in a time crunch, and i never said i would not pay sea tow to do it....I would prefer not to pay 600 for a 10 min pull.....

If someone knows a person with a tow company in the area, that can tow a 36' boat 10 mins, and has insurance for the company, have them give me a call please. Speculation is not helping me get this boat saved. It's more then i want to type out now....I'm busy doing other things in prep. I need a tow boat company to tow her 10 mins...And i have money to pay.
Did You get the engine looked at? After the 10min. tow, what is the plan?
Old 28-10-2014, 15:24   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Get the boat insured and tow it yourself. Or pay the $600.

As I said in a previous email, I know of no small, independent towing companies any more. All the small operators signed up with Seatow or Boat US.

By the way you might see this as a ten minute tow but the operator may be coming from a dock miles away. You're being charged for his total time, home to tow and back home which could be a few hours.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 15:25   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Did You get the engine looked at? After the 10min. tow, what is the plan?
I have calls in to insurance company's now.

I have a guy that helped me with the engine, she is okay, we stopped on her, i had to come up north a few days. We will change filters, oil, and get the fuel cleaned once I get back down in the next couple days.

I have two options

One get my own insurance, and all is well. But shes a old wood boat, most company's don't want to Do FL

Pay a tow service, and pull her out to the river. If i have to, i will just pony up the charge from sea tow or US Boat tow.

Looking for other options is all, at this time. I'm on rather short time to move.

I have her home, just need to leave the slip!

Thanks
Old 28-10-2014, 15:35   #59

are you trying to get liability only insurance? Do you have car insurance? if so they may insure your recreational boat (non liveaboard) for a low rate with no survey... I bought the beat up old trawler mentioned above with no survey. Got it insured for liability easily.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 15:43   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
are you trying to get liability only insurance? Do you have car insurance? if so they may insure your recreational boat (non liveaboard) for a low rate with no survey... I bought the beat up old trawler mentioned above with no survey. Got it insured for liability easily.
I will check into that option tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Once i get the boat out of FL, i will have more options. I will insure her after she is refit and surveyed. I just need to get her off the darn slip.

PITA Prob. going to bite the bullet and just pay the tow bill.

Tags
sail