Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 15:57   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post
I have calls in to insurance company's now.

I have a guy that helped me with the engine, she is okay, we stopped on her, i had to come up north a few days. We will change filters, oil, and get the fuel cleaned once I get back down in the next couple days.

I have two options

One get my own insurance, and all is well. But shes a old wood boat, most company's don't want to Do FL

Pay a tow service, and pull her out to the river. If i have to, i will just pony up the charge from sea tow or US Boat tow.

Looking for other options is all, at this time. I'm on rather short time to move.

I have her home, just need to leave the slip!

Thanks
Read cheechako's post rel. insurance. If you have ever taken a Power Squadron or CG Auxiliary course drag that out. might get you a better rate on liability.

Does the engine kick over and fire up?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 15:58   #62

Boat: Various

Quote:
I will check into that option tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Once i get the boat out of FL, i will have more options. I will insure her after she is refit and surveyed. I just need to get her off the darn slip.

PITA Prob. going to bite the bullet and just pay the tow bill.
Getting it out of Florida isn't going to give you more options, I hate to tell you.

Did you do a budget of any sort on all this? I ask simply because if it's anything like I'm imagining the $600 tow is such a very small part of what it's going to cost and that number seemed to shock you. I assume you found the yard that will haul it for you and let you work on it?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:04   #63

This may sound stupid/silly but no ill will is intended.... are you 100% sure your SeaWitch is wood? There were a great many made of ferro cement (not a bad thing). We recently helped Capt James Rall rescue a FC SeaWitch and get the perkins up and running, new masts in place and all the rigging. We even tried a Kickstart campaign..
Check out Courage of Catalina | Join Capt Rall in finishing the newest Tall Ship! if you need info/advice on rigging/power/systems I can hook you up with Capt Jim... good luck they are a nice design...
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:17   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Getting it out of Florida isn't going to give you more options, I hate to tell you.

Did you do a budget of any sort on all this? I ask simply because if it's anything like I'm imagining the $600 tow is such a very small part of what it's going to cost and that number seemed to shock you. I assume you found the yard that will haul it for you and let you work on it?
Budget and spending dumb is two different matters....

I already said, i will pay the 600.00 if that's my only option.

And yes, getting her out of Fl will help. The classic wood boat insurance company's would cover her now, not in FL. They won't touch Fl boats.
SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:19   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetriguy View Post
This may sound stupid/silly but no ill will is intended.... are you 100% sure your SeaWitch is wood? There were a great many made of ferro cement (not a bad thing). We recently helped Capt James Rall rescue a FC SeaWitch and get the perkins up and running, new masts in place and all the rigging. We even tried a Kickstart campaign..
Check out Courage of Catalina | Join Capt Rall in finishing the newest Tall Ship! if you need info/advice on rigging/power/systems I can hook you up with Capt Jim... good luck they are a nice design...
The boat is a well traveled wood boat

Old 28-10-2014, 16:30   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Budget and spending dumb is two different matters....

I already said, i will pay the 600.00 if that's my only option.

And yes, getting her out of Fl will help. The classic wood boat insurance company's would cover her now, not in FL. They won't touch Fl boats.
I don't think you read BandB's question?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:43   #67

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Insurance companies in FL. Are hesitant to insure wooden boats because of Teredo worms, (they are really clams), your boat inherits them by going aground and they can devastate a hull. However, I have had a lot of boats and never had comprehensive insurance on them. A liability insurance policy is adequate unless you want to make money on the hull (a no no ), or you hold an outstanding note. Or the marina has some kind of hold on it.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:49   #68

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Insurance companies in FL. Are hesitant to insure wooden boats because of Teredo worms, (they are really clams), your boat inherits them by going aground and they can devastate a hull. However, I have had a lot of boats and never had comprehensive insurance on them. A liability insurance policy is adequate unless you want to make money on the hull (a no no ), or you hold an outstanding note. Or the marina has some kind of hold on it.
And FL doesn't impact liability insurance at all. Even if you were to insure the hull, you would get very little coverage. It's value is very little in market terms.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 17:38   #69
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I do not have time to read all the posts, but have my boat at Harbortown on Merritt Island. Cape Marina is also recommended. They can haul the boat and you can keep it on the hard as long as needed. We had ours out for a year after buying her. For engine work, call Butch. 321-228-1379. He is awesome and would likely drive to Titusville to look at your engine. Good luck. Nice boat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 17:40   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
No problem with worms on this one, Below the waterline is sheathed in Dynel
(Please no debate on that, i know it well, it's all speculation until i haul her and inspect)

And again....I'm having problems even finding Liability...She is a 1939 boat, wood, in Fl...3 strikes. I will just pay for the tow out of the marina, put her on the hard, clean inspect the bottom, then right back in the water...then, knock on wood, I will bring her up the ICW to MD in the spring, put her on the hard, and start a more proper refit. I have decided to do her traditional style, so good bye dynel, hello new wood, maybe I get lucky on some parts, not counting on that.
Old 28-10-2014, 17:43   #71
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

For basic insurance, try Peter Shaw at Offshore Risk Management in Cocoa. He might be able to help. I do not have his number handy.

CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 18:15   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
For basic insurance, try Peter Shaw at Offshore Risk Management in Cocoa. He might be able to help. I do not have his number handy.

I shall tomorrow. Thaxs for the info. I still have 3 possibles now, for liability. I'm not holding my breath!
Old 28-10-2014, 22:28   #73

Boat: Angleman A40 Ketch 50' LOA
Great News

Oh lordy! I am happy to hear that the boat won't be cut up for scrap. I "looked" at Sea Witch when she was first repossessed by the Navy Credit Union. This boat is a true classic. If you are unfamiliar with her, or with Hugh Angelman her designer, you can learn quite a bit from this website. The boat is indeed wood, but the hull has been sheathed in Dynex at some time in the past.

Instead of buying Sea Witch, the original of this class, or any of the other 4-5 Sea Witches that were for sale at around the time we were looking, we bought Black Dolphin, an Angelman-designed A30 ketch built in 1944, and moved it to Hong Kong where it has been undergoing an extensive (and expensive) refit. We didn't buy Sea Witch mostly because we needed a larger boat for our school's programs.

In my limited experience, it will take deep pockets and a lot of sweat equity to bring her back to life, but what a great boat! Check out some of the other Sea Witches on the website linked above. They are dearly loved by their owners. I was seriously in love with Sea Mist and would have bought her if we hadn't found Black Dolphin.
cblurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:25   #74

Re: Great News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblurton View Post
Oh lordy! I am happy to hear that the boat won't be cut up for scrap. I "looked" at Sea Witch when she was first repossessed by the Navy Credit Union. This boat is a true classic. If you are unfamiliar with her, or with Hugh Angelman her designer, you can learn quite a bit from this website. The boat is indeed wood, but the hull has been sheathed in Dynex at some time in the past.

Instead of buying Sea Witch, the original of this class, or any of the other 4-5 Sea Witches that were for sale at around the time we were looking, we bought Black Dolphin, an Angelman-designed A30 ketch built in 1944, and moved it to Hong Kong where it has been undergoing an extensive (and expensive) refit. We didn't buy Sea Witch mostly because we needed a larger boat for our school's programs.

In my limited experience, it will take deep pockets and a lot of sweat equity to bring her back to life, but what a great boat! Check out some of the other Sea Witches on the website linked above. They are dearly loved by their owners. I was seriously in love with Sea Mist and would have bought her if we hadn't found Black Dolphin.
Thank you, I did extensive research into her before buying. The trick is to get her on the hard for the total refit. I figure a couple years, depending on what she needs. I will be doing all work, classic boat building style. No glass or anything like that. Just watched the movie about her travels also. She will sail again!

Beautiful boat you have!
Old 30-10-2014, 06:20   #75

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

talk to local SeaTow or Boat/US people directly rather than the 800 number. They seemed to me willing to do jobs that they can schedule at their convenience at a much reduced rate. There is a lot of demand on a weekend mid afternoon and they got you by the short hairs, but they are sitting around a lot mid week with no work. On my one occasion, I saved a bunch by having a flexible schedule.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail