Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Fisher 25

I read old "Practical Boat Owner" magazines (my favourite yachting mag), and was well into the July 1992 when I spied a great Pacific North West boat (we have lots of rain) ketch. The boat is a Fisher 25 motor sailor that is amazingly roomy, built by Northshore Yacht Yards Ltd, out of West Sussex (I don't know if they are still around).

In my opinion, certain types of boats are better for certain areas. The Fisher 25 is a great boat for "colder wet climates" (sound like the UK?) and would be fabulous for a growing older, young old fart like myself who would like to single hand something not to complex or overwhelming in the waters around Washington and British Columbia, particularly in the off season monsoon rain climate we have here.

The write up in the July 92 Issue of Practical Boat Owner ran for a number of pages, as reviewed by new owners. The owners said they were sail folk more than power boaters and they were pleasantly surprised at how well the boat handled in lighter winds, up wind and stiffer breezes; very good for the amount of reduced sail area on this little puppy.

Below are two links with pics, you'll see it is surprisingly roomy for a 25 footer. The one sentences that puzzled me for a second was this: "Perfectly balanced, with wheel disconnected and tiller shipped (takes but seconds), she'll stand away close-hauled "hands off" for long periods." So I guess you have to manual switch over to tiller sailing, and have to sail outside in the cockpit.

http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/boat/new/boat_details1.jsp?id=38220&curr_id=1

http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=38735
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 16:57   #2
Kai Nui

All of the Fishers are FANTASTIK boats. I have sailed on a 25. Very stable, and a great motor sailor. Built like a battle ship, and all of them I have seen actually have enough power to cruise the San Juans. The idea of taking a classic fishing boat design, and rigging it as a motor sailor has real appeal to me. They are priced accordingly.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37   #3

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Re: Fisher 25

I once rigged a fisher 25with a junk rig single mast. The orignal ketch rig had 245 ft sq but I made the junk sail at 327 ft sq. As is said the fisher will not point up wind more than 60 degs but with the junk any where aft of 60 degs and it takes a bloody good yacht to catch her. I dont know what happened to her but I delivered her to port Elizabeth in South Africa solo and NEVER had aproblem or feared for the little ship. I now live aboard a Colvic Watson 32 ketch rigged and only wished I had the money to junk rig her.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 17:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Great boats, they were still building Fishers in 2007 don't know if they still are but they still make Southerlys & Vancouvers.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05   #5

Boat: Banjer 37 motorsailer

there is a fishers owners group on Yahoo groups. My boat is similar to the Fisher line, I think Fisher picked up the pieces of the the company that built my boat and continued development, though I have no proof of this, just the similarities of the early Fishers.

I love my poor sailing, except reach and run. boat, comfort on SF Bay, any time of year
meuritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 20:57   #6

Hi guys,

I would just like to ask you all if any of you have ever extended the diesel fuel tank to increase its capacity for the ability to travel further before requiring a refill. I do not own a Fisher 25 but am very keen to and would like to do long voyages.

Thank you, Bob
silverfern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fisher