Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2009, 08:21   #1

First Timer Questions

A couple of questions I would appreciate people's thoughts on:
  1. At 6 foot 2 inches does this eliminate some boats from purchase consideration? Limit me to certain makes or sizes of boat.
  2. In one of the threads there was a list of recommended makes of boats - very useful - thanks Is there a similar list of boats the should not be considered (“don't touch with a barge pool”)?
  3. Is ASA or taking cruising classes a must or just a very, very good idea?
  4. What would be the recommended earliest year, that is, don't consider buying a boat prior to a given year.
  5. In a thread on one of the forums (can't find it right now) “S/V Antares” made the comment “go to the yards and find unregistered boats then contact the owner”. What “yards”? How do you determine if a boat is “unregistered”?
    Thanks
dblynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 08:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
What are you looking to do? Sailing classes are good -- and can potentially lead to reductions in marine insurance. "Yard" refers to boatyards. Where they haul out boats and do work on them. Also start scanning Craigslist.com. There is an amazing number of cool looking boats between 5 and 7 k.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 08:50   #3

Live aboard and ultimately circumvent the globe, though probably little open crossings staying to coastlines for the most part - different cultures, see different things. That is the current thinking
Old 26-02-2009, 09:00   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Let me take a crack at this and let other chip in as they may.

Quote:
At 6 foot 2 inches does this eliminate some boats from purchase consideration? Limit me to certain makes or sizes of boat.
It depends on what you're planning to do. Day sailing, weekends, long distance, etc. There are a number of tall folks that are quite happy with their boats that have less than stand-up room. So this is a question that you have to answer for yourself.

Quote:
In one of the threads there was a list of recommended makes of boats - very useful - thanks Is there a similar list of boats the should not be considered (“don't touch with a barge pool”)?
Barge pool? I don't think that one can categorically reject any make of boat. Again it depends upon your own priorities. There are some boats I wouldn't want under any circumstance but others love. A personal example are the Beneteau's. My objection is that the rudder hangs out all by its lonesome and is very subject to damage. I sail in some very, very thin water so this make sense to me. Others, sailing in deeper waters might not have this concern. Similarly, because I sail in thin water I don't want a deep draft boat.

Quote:
Is ASA or taking cruising classes a must or just a very, very good idea?
I'd say a very good idea.

Quote:
What would be the recommended earliest year, that is, don't consider buying a boat prior to a given year
The year is a bit trickier. Obviously, if you go back far enough you will eliminate fiberglass as a building material and be left with wood, steel, aluminum, of ferro cement. There are implications here with regards to maintenance, insurance, and financing. In my area, some repair yards will not lift a wooden hull boat. Some will if there is a current survey. Also, regardless of material, some insurance companies have qualms about insuring boats past a certain age.

So my recommendation is to not dismiss an older boat out of hand. If you find one you like, make sure you check out these other factors. There are some boats out there that are as old as I am (older than dirt) that are super. Remember though, unless you come across a real gem, the older boats are going to probably take a lot more work to get up to snuff.

Quote:
In a thread on one of the forums (can't find it right now) “S/V Antares” made the comment “go to the yards and find unregistered boats then contact the owner”. What “yards”? How do you determine if a boat is “unregistered”?
I'm not quite sure what the other poster meant by "unregistered" but by yards, he/she was referring to boat yards. The place that hauls out the boats for maintenance. Let's say you wander about in one of these places and come across a boat that interests you. Even better find a boat that interests you but that looks like it has been sitting for a very long time with work. Things like tattered tarps, lots of mold, mildew, etc. In short, just plain neglected.

Next go to the folks running the yard and inquire about said boat. They may be willing to contact the owner to tell him that someone is interested. Just as commonly you will find that the boat has been abandoned and they've not payed any of their yard fees. In this case the yard will often claim the boat and be willing to sell it for a song just to get rid of it. In some cases they will even give it away if you promise to get out there. I knew a guy at my marina that did just that. There was an abandoned 26 Columbia in the yard. He was told that if he took it away it was his for free. He put $400 in materials and some sweat equity and had a cute little boat which he named "Lil Repo". A year later he sold it for $4k

Finally, if you are going to be looking at these older boats I'd suggest looking into the magazine "Good Old Boat". I think you'll find it informative. I know I enjoy it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 08:03   #5

Any cities that have boat yards. I am mobile at this time so can go where the deals are.
Having been hitting internet sites, not sure the best ones perhaps. Craig list, and would be interested in recommended cities those places that might have a larger boating community.
Again appreciate the input.
Old 27-02-2009, 09:55   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Anywhere there are boats there are boat yards. You might want to do a little research first to at least get some idea of the boat that will fill your needs. The only caution I give is that since you have no experience your plans may or may not survive. That is, you presently believe you want (need) a blue water boat to circumnavigate. However, once you get into it you may find that coastal cruising and touring the Caribbean better suit you.

I believe all of us start out thinking we know which type of boat we need but in time find that our criteria change with experience. I don't know your circumstances or time frame but perhaps it might be better to be looking at a starter boat to gain experience with and refine your prejudices.

In any event, good luck

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:16   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Southern California and Florida seem to have the best deals on boats. In any event if you are new to sailing it would be best to hire a marine surveyor to go over the boat before purchase.

Sailing classes are recommended not required. I've found some self taught sailors don't know the right terms for boat parts so are hard to communicate with and they have some very strange habits that could turn out to be a safety issue. Some, not all.

If I mentioned to you publicly which boats I would not sail I would get flamed by owners so I won't do it. Send me a private message and I'll send you a short list of boats to avoid.

Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblynn View Post
Live aboard and ultimately circumvent the globe, though probably little open crossings staying to coastlines for the most part - different cultures, see different things. That is the current thinking
Boy, some days I sure would like to circumvent the world. Those are my worst ones though, then my daydreams return to circumnavigation!
Old 27-02-2009, 11:31   #9

Boat: 1967 Albin Vega #176
When asking about the head room, and old salt once said:

"Son, I only do 2 things below, and neither one requires me to be standing"
Nowell is offline   Reply With Quote