Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45   #1

First time Sailboat purchaser Questions

Hello,
My wife and I are looking for our first sail boat to sail around lake Ontario (Kingston area). We are looking at keeping the price low at around 20K-25K for a 30' possibly Catalina 1981-1985. I am looking for some advice on what are the average cost of a survey and who would you recommend. Also what is the average cost to transport a 30' sailboats and who offers this service. Possible boat from the Toronto area that would need to be transported to the Kingston area. Does anyone have a recommended insurance company and what would a rough idea of the cost of insurance be. Just trying to figure out the hidden costs so we can have a better idea of what we can spend on the boat and what the boat will cost to get in the water. Any advice for this first time sailboat purchaser is appreciated. Also would experienced sailors recommend a boat broker for something in that price range or am I better to stay private between the purchaser
Thanks
Frank
horan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 13:08   #2

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Re: First time Sailboat purchaser Questions

Search "marine survey 101" on here and if you understand everything you read then you can do 90% surveys yourself. After that if you still want help contact the author of "marine survey 101" ...... I think he is in the Toronto area. It cost me $500 to move a 30' boat by truck from ash bridges bay to Bewdley.look up Purseys boat transport in cobourg. Although I'd probably sail/motor from Toronto to Kingston.
Old 03-11-2019, 13:13   #3

If the boat happens to be outboard powered and under 10hp check with your home insurance as it may be covered just like a fishing boat. Otherwise liability only should be $300/yr or so.
If you have not done so...... make SURE you have confirmed dockage otherwise you may end up on a wait list...... cobourg has been as long as 2-3 yrs. at times!
Old 03-11-2019, 13:32   #4

thanks for the good advice flyingnut40. I will check out marine survey 101.
Old 03-11-2019, 14:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by horan View Post
thanks for the good advice flyingnut40. I will check out marine survey 101.
Here's the link
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 04-11-2019, 09:08   #6

Quote: " Just trying to figure out the hidden costs so we can have a better idea of what we can spend on the boat and what the boat will cost to get in the water. "

Very sensible to do that :-)

I allocate $10K a year for OWNERSHIP costs for a 40 year old 30 footer in general good condition being sailed in B.C.'s Gulf Islands. Unlike acquisition costs, ownership costs are they are inescapable. They are NOT discretionary!

Moorage: C$4K; Insurance (Liability and 39K limit on "own damage", C$750; Haul-out incl. paint and zincs, C$1K; remediation of sundry wear and tear, C$2K; Sinking fund for engine replacement/major repairs, C$1K; Sinking fund for sail replacement, C$1K.

The funds are deposited each month by transfer of C$850 from my operating account to a separate boat account. I find that at EOY the boat account is reduced to something near the BOY balance.

Be aware that to handle boat expenses comfortably in this manner you need to make a deposit of $C10K to the boat account on the day you take delivery of the boat. That may mean reducing the acquisition budget.

Hope that helps

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:13   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I also live in Kingston. Small world!

The best way to transport a sailboat from Toronto to Kingston is by water. It is a safe and easy trip. I've bought several boats in the Toronto area and sailed them all home. If you lack the experience or confidence for the trip, I'd be glad to come along. Seriously. No charge. I've done this many times.

If you are buying a boat at this time of year, its likely already on the hard. Best to leave it there till spring, then sail it home.

I've had boats trucked in the past, but nothing recent, so not up to date on pricing. I would guess around $1000 from Toronto to Kingston, assuming the boat is ready to be picked up (in a suitable travel cradle, elevated on blocks). Crane fees would be extra if needed. I used Kingston Marine Haulage, but I think he is long gone.

There are two routes. Inside and outside. Outside is faster, as you can sail all night. Typically this takes 24-36 hours depending on the boat and wind. The inside, via the Murray Canal, takes a bit longer, but you get to stop every night, which makes it a lot of fun, especially if you bring family or friends with you. Typically, Toronto to Cobourg, Cobourg to Belleville, Belleville to Kingston. But there are lots more places to stop if you aren't in a hurry.

There are lots of boats for sale out there right now with some great prices. I'm looking too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 026.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	202640   Click image for larger version

Name:	half a beach 078.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	202641  

Name:	wavey 015.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	202642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	202643  

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	202644  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:48   #8

You beat me to it!!! I was going to suggest you look up hamburking if you needed help......
King.......fyi.....my next boat purchase (OVNI) is on hold until spring..... delays in getting house to market..... I might still need a delivery partner yet, depending on where boat is purchased.
Sorry for the thread drift ;-)
Dennis
Old 04-11-2019, 15:10   #9

TrentePieds thanks for the great info much appreciated
Old 04-11-2019, 15:18   #10

hamburking
Thanks for the great info, very much appreciated. Ideally I would like to find a boat in the Kingston area so I can sail it to a marina in the Kingston area, I am working on trying to secure a slip at any marina so any advice or suggestions of places that might have an open slip would be appreciated. I might just take you up on the offer for the company if I end up purchasing a boat from the Toronto area and need to sail it back. Thanks again
Old 04-11-2019, 15:19   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a 45 year old boat.

Besides the marina fees of $9.00/ft, I have spent $10,000 on it over the past 8 years.

Btw for some good advice on old boats check out this site. (Funny thing is I wanted a Catalina 30 at first until I did more research)

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 15:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I have a 45 year old boat.

Besides the marina fees of $9.00/ft, I have spent $10,000 on it over the past 8 years.

Btw for some good advice on old boats check out this site. (Funny thing is I wanted a Catalina 30 at first until I did more research)

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

Thanks thomm225 I have to ask what changed your mind about the Catalina 30
Old 04-11-2019, 15:32   #13

Quote:
Thanks thomm225 I have to ask what changed your mind about the Catalina 30
It actually sold (for about $21,000) before I could buy it but that year Catalina 30 I was looking at I believe had gate valves etc instead of regular bronze seacocks like my boat has …...that I paid $2,000 for.

Plus I could never find the Catalinas listed on any offshore lists of boats whereas my old Bristol is listed on most all of them

The Catalina 30 though would be good for sailing here in the bay and up there in Lake Ontario but they are way wide for their length and quite different than a seagoing boat, but if you have family, pets, etc and will be sailing in a large lake or bay a Catalina 30 might be the right boat

Plus they look good on the water......and there have been lots of them built so spare parts will not be a problem, and I believe they are still in business which most of the older boat manufacturers are not anymore

A couple other lists of good offshore boats and more good info here.

http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html

http://bluewaterboats.org/
Old 04-11-2019, 15:56   #14

thomm225
thanks again. I am still open to suggestions for other great boats. We decided to narrow it down to a Catalina 30 because it has a rear berth and a V-berth. With the family on the boat there would be two adults and 3 years so the feeling of space and two seperate berths was important. The Catalina 30 seemed to fit the bill and seems to have a good reputation. Plus there does seem to be a lot on the market so parts and owner advice will hopefully be easy to find. Again always open for suggestions that might fit a family sailing on Lake Ontatio.
Old 04-11-2019, 16:01   #15

Quote:
thomm225
thanks again. I am still open to suggestions for other great boats. We decided to narrow it down to a Catalina 30 because it has a rear berth and a V-berth. With the family on the boat there would be two adults and 3 years so the feeling of space and two seperate berths was important. The Catalina 30 seemed to fit the bill and seems to have a good reputation. Plus there does seem to be a lot on the market so parts and owner advice will hopefully be easy to find. Again always open for suggestions that might fit a family sailing on Lake Ontatio.
They must be doing something right since there have been 6430 Catalina 30's sold.

You may want to look at the years up to maybe 1994 or so when all the upgrades were completed. Do a search online. Looks like Mark II came out in 1986 and Mark III was 1994

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30

Tags
boat, purchase, sail, sailboat