Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2015, 15:12   #31

Boat: 1981 Flicka 20
Re: First time cruising, what should I have on board?

Good advice so far. In addition to charts don't forget to pick up an Eldridge tide book. The current in vineyard sound can hit 3knts. So in a 30ft boat it can mean the difference of making 2knts over ground vs 8knts with a fair tide.

Page 85 will explain how to catch a fair tide from eastern long island to Nantucket.

If you have the time, plan a few pit stops along the way, you should be familiar with possible anchorages/marina's for both pleasure and or unexpected break downs as it is a maiden voyage.

Hope you have a blast.

I'm based on the Vineyard, if you guys run into trouble shoot me a PM, if I'm around I may be able to help out.
BostonFlicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:21   #32

Correction. I carry 40 litres deisel in jerry cans. I have trouble getting my head around gallons and was going to respond in gallons to make it easier for the op and got my back and forth calculations mixed up.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:46   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First time cruising, what should I have on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
That is exactly what I'm getting at. Not knowing the condition of the tank is the reason to have a lot of fuel filters on board. If it is really bad, having good fuel in a jerry can and a piece of fuel hose to put in it will cover all the bases.
Couple of ideas.. cut the fuel hose between the seperator filter and the engine filter.. fit a car inline plastic filter off the same micron as the next in line..
2 advantages.. Dead quick to change and much cheaper and easier to store..
Learn how to set up an emergency fuel tank with a jerry can.. if you don't already know..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 15:51   #34
Marine Service Provider

Make sure your lady is comfortable and confident...and get towing insurance....leave early, arrive early....hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and long sleeve shirt...lots of ice and water....then take her out to dinner ashore.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Make sure your lady is comfortable and confident...and get towing insurance....leave early, arrive early....hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and long sleeve shirt...lots of ice and water....then take her out to dinner ashore.
Yessir, unless you're wife happens to be the likes of Ann Cate, Zeehag or sailorchic, odds are she likes the idea of cruising a lot more than the realities of it.

Keep her comfortable and be prepared to do most everything at first. If she shows an interest in a particular element of cruising, nurture and encourage.

And don't ever ever yell at her when something goes wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:17   #36

Boat: too many

His gf sailed dinghies in college, chances are she won't need to be placated and as a dinghy sailor she would insist on proper sail trim. lol
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 16:29   #37

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
First time cruising, what should I have on board?

Google "wag bags" and get some -- Cheap insurance. Go to activecaptain.com and join (it's free). Plan your trip on their site to learn about available anchorages/moorings/marinas. I personally wouldn't anchor on your current gear. I have no problem with jerry jugs -- I carry six (but I have room for them in the aft locker). Get the NY to Nantucket chart kit. Vineyard Sound has all these shoaly areas and the paper charts show them better. And enjoy!

PS: Do you have a dinghy?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 20:38   #38

Boat: csy 37

Get a towing policy with SeaTow or TowBoatsUS. About $150 and well worth it if you ever need it. I used it once in 30+ years of boat ownership but still buy it.

And a fixed mount VHF radio with a masthead antenna.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 05:32   #39

Boat: Sabre 30

[QUOTE=sparrowhawk1;1848854I think one of the biggest mistakes first time boat owners do is biting off more than they can chew. Then they think they don't like cruising. I highly recommend doing a good couple of shakedown cruises so you can return to your slip, go home, get good night sleep afterwards. Then fix any problems you've found. If the distance is 160 miles I'd recommend doing it in 4 40 mile trips and anchoring each night. With anchorages picked out in between incase you have problems or just get tired Or the weather doesn't cooperate.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately a shakedown isn't really possible, given the location of the boat (3.5 hours away from home). Don't worry though, we're taking it nice and slow. The plan is to do about 30 nm a day on avg, and we're giving ourselves a week to do it.
RadioZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 05:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFlicka View Post
In addition to charts don't forget to pick up an Eldridge tide book. The current in vineyard sound can hit 3knts. So in a 30ft boat it can mean the difference of making 2knts over ground vs 8knts with a fair tide.

Page 85 will explain how to catch a fair tide from eastern long island to Nantucket.

If you have the time, plan a few pit stops along the way, you should be familiar with possible anchorages/marina's for both pleasure and or unexpected break downs as it is a maiden voyage.
Eldridge is definitely on the list, and yes, we're giving ourselves plenty of time for stops. We're treating this more as a vacation than a delivery, so we're not opposed to paying for moorings/slips along the way. Thanks for the offer! Hopefully we won't need your help, but it's definitely good to know.
Old 16-06-2015, 05:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Google "wag bags" and get some -- Cheap insurance. Go to activecaptain.com and join (it's free). Plan your trip on their site to learn about available anchorages/moorings/marinas. I personally wouldn't anchor on your current gear. I have no problem with jerry jugs -- I carry six (but I have room for them in the aft locker). Get the NY to Nantucket chart kit. Vineyard Sound has all these shoaly areas and the paper charts show them better. And enjoy!

PS: Do you have a dinghy?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Good call on the Wag Bags, I'd never heard of them before. An old 9' inflatable dinghy came with the boat, and I bought a 3.5hp outboard for it. I never gave it a sea test, so hopefully it holds air long enough for us to get to where we're going.
Old 16-06-2015, 07:51   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Let me apologize up front if this is too basic for you, but, check your anchoring gear, make sure you could anchor quickly if the engine cut out. Once you have the hook down, you have time to re-group and get stuck into a fix. Make sure you know where your through hull fittings are, and that the handles are all free to turn.

I hope you get to sail most of the way, and that your tanks are clean. Have a great time, you and your good lady!

Ann
...........and a bag full of rags and any various lengths of lines you have (string/ thin rope). Please dont overlook your life jacket and a tender with oars or outboard to get ashore if you have to anchor and a couple of torches.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 07:52   #43

Haven't seen it mentioned yet
But a High Powered Torch with an extra battery should be on board
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 07:59   #44

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Some good ideas here. And your attitude seems great! VIP.

But consider carrying extra drinking water outside of your boat tanks. As in several gallons. A leak or forgetting to turn off the water one night and you may get thirsty.

A first aid kit. That may have been covered but just in case. Include sun screen, sun glasses, hats, gloves, etc. And make sure you have some quick and dirty meals, in cans, pre-made and refrigerated, snacks, etc. You may get in a situation where you are starving but don't want or can't make a real meal.

But you will have a blast! Fair winds and calm seas!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 08:32   #45

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

A dinghy should always be equipped with oars, no matter how reliable the outboard motor is. Several have mentioned clean fuel and clean tanks. Dirty fuel will definitely stop a diesel engine. If the tanks have sludge, spare filters may clog quickly when motion stirs it up. There are tank cleaning and fuel polishing services.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising