Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19   #16

Re: First Sailboat Purchase

Scroll down in the Ad and you will find a link to the additional pics.
Grasshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

How many people as regular crew? Any kids?

Have you considered buying a trailerable boat for the short term, 1-2yr, before buying up?

This would depend on having an adequate tow vehicle and a parking space for the boat at home or some other location near home.

Costs would be reduce. Also the boat would be at hand to work on, not 1hr away, though the additional setup time when putting into the water would offset that.

A trailerable would allow you to do daysailing and weekends, but week long sailing trips would probably get cramped depending on the boat you bought.

A trailerable would allow you to do things like visit the Lake Havisu Pocket Cruiser Convention.

If this interests you I could come up with a list of trailerable boats of various sizes.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
How many people as regular crew? Any kids?

Have you considered buying a trailerable boat for the short term, 1-2yr, before buying up?

This would depend on having an adequate tow vehicle and a parking space for the boat at home or some other location near home.

Costs would be reduce. Also the boat would be at hand to work on, not 1hr away, though the additional setup time when putting into the water would offset that.

A trailerable would allow you to do daysailing and weekends, but week long sailing trips would probably get cramped depending on the boat you bought.

A trailerable would allow you to do things like visit the Lake Havisu Pocket Cruiser Convention.

If this interests you I could come up with a list of trailerable boats of various sizes.

*For myself* I rejected that idea because I already had a great deal to learn without having to learn how to handle and maintain a trailer as well. In addition, it would have meant selling a pretty new car at a loss, and taking on the expense of a bigger vehicle, one that wouldn't be nearly as efficient for fuel (mine gets 35 mph on a flat highway).

I watched as a friend, along with a very experienced helper (with trailors) struggled for FOUR HOURS to get her mast up. It took a lot of modifications and the guidance of a real expert to get her trailerable boat to the point that she could get her mast up in 17 min (her current record). Those 4 hours just about wrecked the road trip we had taken to sail her boat in new waters.

I just didn't need that kind of extra expense ... and the frustration? After two hours I would have been saying "This trip is done, we're going back home." We had a great sail but at a very high price.

I think there's tremendous advantage to being able to walk to the dock, get on the boat, throw off the lines, and take off.

I see tremendous advantage to having a trailerable boat: it's four hours to Biscayne Bay from here, and then there's a whole new sailing world to explore. But I can also get there on my bigger boat if I want.

I also believe if the rest of the family wants to learn to sail, they can all learn to sail. I've seen four year olds coil lines well, and I've seen 8 year olds expertly tie one boat up to another for a rafting. I had an 8 year old female student who could take an auto transmission apart and put it back together correctly. I had a ten year old student who could do just about anything that had to be done on a motorcycle.

I think I would have given up on sailing if I'd bought a trailerable boat. Diff'rent stroks for diff'rent folks. My friend did *not* give up -- but she already owned a truck that could pull a trailer, and she has a lot more mechanical knowledge than I do. On the other hand, if she had that much trouble at first ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

As indicated getting a trailerable would depend on having or getting an appropriate tow vehicle.

I have a Scion xB which I would feel comfortable towing a 800lb boat long distances (1200lb with trailer and gear). I would feel comfortable towing a 1000-1200lb short to medium distances.

I could get
HOLDER 20
HOLDER 17
WEST WIGHT POTTER 15 MK II
WEST WIGHT POTTER 19
MONTGOMERY 15

Given my family what I really would like in a trailerable is a MEGA 30 OD (C&C) but this would require a pickup with crew cab or a V-6 powered minivan.

Every new boat will have teething problems of some sort. For some it will be worse than others.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Oh, Oh, you've fallen in love with her before the first date.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

kind regards,
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

kind regards,

Well, that's the big risk. I fell in love with a 33' Cherubini ... but the engine oil was as thick as peanut butter and the gussets were so rotten (which meant deck leaks around the shrouds) that a finger could go right through them.

The engine oil was enough for me, actually. But also the stove used CNG for fuel. I tried for days to find a source for it, but would have had to drive to Miami to get it. And if that place had closed ...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:00   #22

Quote:

kind regards,
While I am interested, I have not fallen in love.

What I have fallen in love with and am saving for is a Cal.
Old 01-05-2013, 16:06   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:

kind regards,
I was referring to the original poster of the thread. That's a dangerous thing to do because you'll already be trying to minimize faults and talk your way into buying.
kind regards,
Old 02-05-2013, 13:18   #24

Thanks again everyone for the help. I had considered a trailerable and looked at a couple but they just did not have the space I needed and would hate to spend the time to set up and take down each time. The survey is scheduled for Monday on the Hunter 34 and we will see how it goes from there. I'm getting a good education on Annapolis area prices for crane service, un-stepping mast and transportation.........ARRRRRGH!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 13:28   #25

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Just one suggestion that might be obvious, which is to double back and see if you can get a better boat for the same net-net price, now that you have accounted for your refitting costs.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:45   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

I feel you are doing the right thing for what its worth. i.e. price point being low. It appears your getting a smoker of a deal if everything checks out and you could sell it in a few and maybe get your $$ back. Worse case you may lose a few but still way ahead of the game. Smart.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:51   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshay View Post
Thanks again everyone for the help. I had considered a trailerable and looked at a couple but they just did not have the space I needed and would hate to spend the time to set up and take down each time. The survey is scheduled for Monday on the Hunter 34 and we will see how it goes from there. I'm getting a good education on Annapolis area prices for crane service, un-stepping mast and transportation.........ARRRRRGH!!!!!!

I did not realize you were going to have it transported. Have you compared that price to having a licensed Captain move it where it needs to go? sorry, but I just don't remember your details, but this bein' good sailin' weather and all ...
Old 02-05-2013, 21:47   #28

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

You say you want a sailboat...Well here are two glimpses of one beautiful powerful sailboat...enjoy. I am 79 years old and my baby is for sale. " I wanna go sailing with’um”
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEMfD8E

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDFcmAs
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Just one suggestion that might be obvious, which is to double back and see if you can get a better boat for the same net-net price, now that you have accounted for your refitting costs.

I could not find anything with more bang for the $Buck in my area even after adding in transportation and rigging cost.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
You say you want a sailboat...Well here are two glimpses of one beautiful powerful sailboat...enjoy. I am 79 years old and my baby is for sale. " I wanna go sailing with’um”
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEMfD8E

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDFcmAs

She's a beauty alright!!!!!!!!!

Tags
purchase, sailboat