Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 16:00   #1

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
First sailboat. ..

I do hope this is the rightnplace but just come home with our learner sailboat to get a feel for it all. It's a Aquarius 23' in pretty decent shape just a Lil tweak needed on the rudder and one or two minor leaks needing patching in the roof but can not wait to get her in the water and let it loose. Hull is sound stays dry. It appears to of come with all of the sails got to roll them out but I have 3 different genoa's (correct me if im wrong still learning) and a roller furling I was happy to see. Oh need a outboard but we will find that. I don't think the 70hp Johnson will take to kindly to the transom. Keel moves I'll get some shots in the daylight since this afternoon was a run to get it. For something to have for a few years it appears great even the stock trailer I think came with her and it has brakes! I may be daring enough to pull her with my jeep 100 or so miles to get to the Barnegat Bay here in Jersey for a nice weekend next summer. Rigging is newer as well.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:32   #2

Re: First sailboat. ..

Best wishes, Wonderinlost!

A 23 footer isn't what I'd consider a "learner boat". You've got a real sailboat there. You are going to have a lot of fun and adventures... not always at the same time!

You don't need more than a 5hp engine, but make sure that it is a "long shaft". They cost more, but your prop won't come out of the water when there are waves higher than 6 inches.

I had a short shaft on a 23 foot Venture of Newport. It was annoying under power.
MaryEllenCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenCarter View Post
Best wishes, Wonderinlost!

A 23 footer isn't what I'd consider a "learner boat". You've got a real sailboat there. You are going to have a lot of fun and adventures... not always at the same time!

You don't need more than a 5hp engine, but make sure that it is a "long shaft". They cost more, but your prop won't come out of the water when there are waves higher than 6 inches.

I had a short shaft on a 23 foot Venture of Newport. It was annoying under power.
I think you mean extra long shaft. long shaft is really too short
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:05   #4

A real sail boat ohh I cant wait to get it in the water. Mary thanks it's the second one for pops first one for me besides the fishing boat that started this whole new plan. Pops had a sunfish back before I was even a stain on the sheets. I can't wait. We did start liquidating and making this happen to be able to achieve this. Just two wondering men out for adventure.

Bfloyd gotcha extra long shift thanks for that. I been looking at some long shafts just to see prices I'll look into extra long shafts when we get it in the bay. I been pondering if my 3.1hp 46 lb thrust minnkota would suffice just for the lake till we do venture out to the Barnegat Bay.

The next few weeks going over what else we may need it's looking next year will be just fresh water in a known local lake Lake Hopatcong that we spent many nights on last summer which brought about this agreement. I'm pretty happy with the vision.

It all started with a 1979 17' kit fishing boat that led us talking about a dream to make true. Even better we are both in a position to make it happen. No debt and no relationships to say no. The best way to walk away.
Old 06-11-2013, 17:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post
A real sail boat ohh I cant wait to get it in the water. Mary thanks it's the second one for pops first one for me besides the fishing boat that started this whole new plan. Pops had a sunfish back before I was even a stain on the sheets. I can't wait. We did start liquidating and making this happen to be able to achieve this. Just two wondering men out for adventure.

Bfloyd gotcha extra long shift thanks for that. I been looking at some long shafts just to see prices I'll look into extra long shafts when we get it in the bay. I been pondering if my 3.1hp 46 lb thrust minnkota would suffice just for the lake till we do venture out to the Barnegat Bay.

The next few weeks going over what else we may need it's looking next year will be just fresh water in a known local lake Lake Hopatcong that we spent many nights on last summer which brought about this agreement. I'm pretty happy with the vision.

It all started with a 1979 17' kit fishing boat that led us talking about a dream to make true. Even better we are both in a position to make it happen. No debt and no relationships to say no. The best way to walk away.
all boats are great. Small one demand less of ones resources and are always lots of fun. I'm in the market to buy my first sailboat and having a hard time keeping the size down cause the bigger the more goodies but also the harder to handle.

Gook luck
Britt
Old 06-11-2013, 18:33   #6

Britt thank you and I the same with your search. It always gets taunting when you keep waiting and waiting to see what's next to be posted and what is in your ballpark to spend.

I was almost leaning to find a McGregor I kinda liked the water ballast idea just for a lighter trailer sailer but this one at Appx 4k between trailer and boat and the tongue weight less then 100 lbs I was shocked how nicely balanced it was I feel confident if I keep it steady under 55 she will not swing me across the highway in my wrangler. I pulled it home on a 00 f150 and I barely felt it besides up a couple of hills.

Lou
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53   #7

Quote:
Britt thank you and I the same with your search. It always gets taunting when you keep waiting and waiting to see what's next to be posted and what is in your ballpark to spend.

I was almost leaning to find a McGregor I kinda liked the water ballast idea just for a lighter trailer sailer but this one at Appx 4k between trailer and boat and the tongue weight less then 100 lbs I was shocked how nicely balanced it was I feel confident if I keep it steady under 55 she will not swing me across the highway in my wrangler. I pulled it home on a 00 f150 and I barely felt it besides up a couple of hills.

Lou
Lou, an F150 can tow anything but not a wrangler. I've owned both and towed with both either will handle a small sailboat like this with no problem. F150 will do the job best.
There may be a problem with water ballast sloshing around and I don't think that would be desireable in a chop.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58   #8

I thank you for all the insite. Its nice to bounce working thoughts across especially in uncharted territory.

Good point about the chopping never would consider that since all my water time has been on a motor boat. Makes real sence to if there is air in the ballast. I guess it's hard to bled all of the air out when you go drop in the mac. I'm glad the aquarius poped up and cant wait for the summer.

For when we put it in the lake here it is less then a half mile pull and the steepest climb will be out of the launch ramp. Thank golly for 4wd low. May consider borrowing a larger tow vehicle for the trip to the shore. I'm a nut but you don't know what everyone else will do out here especailly in a emergency stop. Brakes or not it will not be pretty no matter how defensive I do drive.

The only reason I consided the Jeep was that the trailer has brakes. If there was no aux brake system I'd be a fool to try and stop a 4k load with a vehicle just as heavy. And the tongue weight as I mentioned shocked me as being so light less then 100 pounds I could pick it up easily. The f150 was borrowed from work and glad I snagged that since the trailer needs new wiring. Just turn on the strobes and drive like everyone else slide into the lane change. Don't need signals here it warns people so they can speed up and not let you over.

I've done some scary tows in the past with my job. All in learning and having to get the job done with the equiptment at hand. I'm no slouch but in all my miles I can say in a commercial vehicle I am accident free towards it being my fault. I still believe in the stupid should be allowed the lead paint chips.......
Old 07-11-2013, 15:25   #9

Quote:
I thank you for all the insite. Its nice to bounce working thoughts across especially in uncharted territory.

Good point about the chopping never would consider that since all my water time has been on a motor boat. Makes real sence to if there is air in the ballast. I guess it's hard to bled all of the air out when you go drop in the mac. I'm glad the aquarius poped up and cant wait for the summer.

For when we put it in the lake here it is less then a half mile pull and the steepest climb will be out of the launch ramp. Thank golly for 4wd low. May consider borrowing a larger tow vehicle for the trip to the shore. I'm a nut but you don't know what everyone else will do out here especailly in a emergency stop. Brakes or not it will not be pretty no matter how defensive I do drive.

The only reason I consided the Jeep was that the trailer has brakes. If there was no aux brake system I'd be a fool to try and stop a 4k load with a vehicle just as heavy. And the tongue weight as I mentioned shocked me as being so light less then 100 pounds I could pick it up easily. The f150 was borrowed from work and glad I snagged that since the trailer needs new wiring. Just turn on the strobes and drive like everyone else slide into the lane change. Don't need signals here it warns people so they can speed up and not let you over.

I've done some scary tows in the past with my job. All in learning and having to get the job done with the equiptment at hand. I'm no slouch but in all my miles I can say in a commercial vehicle I am accident free towards it being my fault. I still believe in the stupid should be allowed the lead paint chips.......
what I have done with heavy boats like a 250 searay sundancer is back down the ramp in 4x4 forward gear. The converter will let you roll backwards slowly and then if you can always just hit the gas if you feel a need for more control. Never had to do that but doing it this way just made me feel more in control especially with a boat weighing almost three times what the truck weighs.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
I believe you want at least 10% of the trailer total weigh to be on the tongue, if your 100 lbs with a 4,000 lb weight, that's too light
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 21:01   #11

Britt I like that idea instead of locking up the brakes on your vehicle and sliding down you can work the gas for a better controlled descent. Unfortunately I like my 3rd peddle and maybe if I go to a extreme angle down a ramp I could still creep in 4 lo and use my brakes gently when I launch. I hope not to but it is always possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe you want at least 10% of the trailer total weigh to be on the tongue, if your 100 lbs with a 4,000 lb weight, that's too light
I gotcha could put to much strain on the rigging that keeps the hitch on the ball as you go down the road especailly long distance. All the trailers I have ever pulled had a 5th wheel or during my cross county days in a tractor trailer with a lot more weight as well as my towing cars with a conventional wrecker.

I was even shocked that for the gross weight it had a 1 and 7/8 ball instead of atleast a 2" ball. I may be off it could be more then 100 but I believe still less then 10%. I was able to lift it with not much strain. Even if the whole towed load was 3500. That's still what Appx 350 you would want on the tongue. I believe this trailer the original trailer for this Aquarius just from the looks and age of it. As it is bare and unloaded no gear in her and no anchor which will bring the weight up fast. I do believe all next summer we will just keep it on the lake so that means the most a .5 mile haul each way if we do not find a slip.

I do appreciate to allow being able to just think aloud and get some feedback.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12   #12

I think you'll love your Aquarius, I have one as well!

A couple of things...

Trailering: I just figured out this fall that the original trailers were designed for a hitch that is lower than my Toyota Tacoma's. It therefore tips backwards more than it should, putting insufficient weight on the tongue, leading to fishtailing and the far bottom end of the trailer can scrape while launching. Putting an extender that will lower the ball on the truck for next season..

Electric: Your trolling motor will push her just fine in moderate winds on a lake. I do that as well, but don't expect very good handling, or going far once it starts to get windy.

I also have a long shaft, 6hp 2 stroke that easily gets her to hull speed when I've gone on bigger water. Do you have the original cassette type rudder, or did someone add a transom hung one? The original rudder is my least favorite "compromise", but you can still pull it up in shallow water. Here's one I've posted before of us this fall on Mille Lacs. About 1/8 mile of 1-3 ft of water to get to the beach. Not even the bass boats would go that shallow = very nice and peaceful !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131108_130922.png
Views:	168
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	70056
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
I think you'll love your Aquarius, I have one as well!

A couple of things...

Trailering: I just figured out this fall that the original trailers were designed for a hitch that is lower than my Toyota Tacoma's. It therefore tips backwards more than it should, putting insufficient weight on the tongue, leading to fishtailing and the far bottom end of the trailer can scrape while launching. Putting an extender that will lower the ball on the truck for next season..

Electric: Your trolling motor will push her just fine in moderate winds on a lake. I do that as well, but don't expect very good handling, or going far once it starts to get windy.

I also have a long shaft, 6hp 2 stroke that easily gets her to hull speed when I've gone on bigger water. Do you have the original cassette type rudder, or did someone add a transom hung one? The original rudder is my least favorite "compromise", but you can still pull it up in shallow water. Here's one I've posted before of us this fall on Mille Lacs. About 1/8 mile of 1-3 ft of water to get to the beach. Not even the bass boats would go that shallow = very nice and peaceful !!
Ahhh just as I was hoping to hear another owner of a Aquarius. We are looking forward and thank you for the excitement.

I did notice the low hitch on the trailer and long tail. My jeep sits low all stock and for the local launch the ramp is not that bad. I have my ball even on the raised side of the hitch when I pull trailers. We were not able to get it up my steep driveway since the f150 does sit a little higher I may attempt this weekend with my jeep to see if I can get it up there for pops to be able to climb around in it while at home instead of at my landlords.

That's good to hear the previous owner had a 54 lb thrust trolly on it. The lake he was on has a little bit less traffic then my lake. I was thinking if I needed to shoot to the docks for food and drinks I may just anchor and hop in the inflatable dingy I found last year floating one night. We may even try to find a long or extra long shaft gas job as suggested by Britt just to have and keep for the next boat but will be a must to grab when we do drop it in the bay

The rudder is original drop in the cockpit has a slight bend in the post. May attempt to unbend it. It does pivot back and forth without hanging up. I have read and do like the idea about hanging a transom rudder. If so would I need a motor bracket then since I may be eliminating the spot where a motor would originally hang?

I do like how shallow the Draft is. Must of been peaceful to get away from all the boats ripping past. I know I have had my wakes dam near toss me off my other boat last year since a lot of weekend warriors with boats ment to go in the bays ripping past with no respect the rules of the water. That's why I loved the evenings and weeks days out here on the water at the lake here and spent many of sunsets to sunrises out there just putting till I felt like napping.
Old 08-11-2013, 19:26   #14

I'd definitely get a gas outboard for anything beyond small lake. The people who put a kick up rudder on the stern instead of the original also do put an outboard mounting bracket on there.

Assuming that you haven't had it off the trailer yet, I'd leave the rudder alone for now. I believe there's supposed to be a "tilt" in how the rudder post sits on the "cassette" . I first thought mine was bent, until I saw it in the water, with the rudder in.. Then it made perfect sense, and it worked fine. . I may have bent it a bit this season hitting a couple of rocks, but it's still fine for now.

If you have any questions about the boat, let me know. There's also a pretty active Aquarius group on Yahoo that knows way more than I do about these boats.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote