Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 15:01   #16

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
Hinterhoeller went belly-up and left a big demand for Nonsuches. They're nice boats, just did a repair on a 30'. The 30s are BIG inside but it feels like a lot of wasted space; aside from the head it's one large compartment.

Everyone who has one, loves it.

I've seen those things sailing when the wind is up and I'm always waiting for the mast to snap, lol.
Old 28-07-2013, 15:23   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: First Boat - Nunsuch?

Nonsuch 26 - solid glass hull, not a badly built boat. The ussual deck core issures.

Nonsuch 30 - fully balsa cored hull. A high percentage of these hulls have significant core decay and high moisture although quite a few are still as sound and dry as the day they were built. Usual deck core issues. AC electrical sysytem may have met residential standards in the 70's but never came close to meeting any marine standard. Propane system meets no known standards and is beyond stupidity. Take a very hard look at the joint on the 2-section mast, there have been a number of failures.
Old 28-07-2013, 16:20   #18

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I'm assuming you are referring to the aluminum masts when you warn of the two part ones. Have you heard of any issues with the later versions using carbon fiber masts?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:29   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Nunsuch's are sneaky fast on a reach, the underbody is definitely a modern design which catches people of guard at times, but I do have to agree that they don't point as well, it's just a limitation of a cat rig and the overall intent of the design.
The interior volume is generous for it's size.
Figure out where you'll be sailing and in what conditions and then make your decision. I sail the New England coast and for some reason it seams I'm just about always sailing upwind, it's just life I guess. Don't choose a rig based on your current capability, choose it on what you feel will fit your needs, you'll master whatever rig you choose in a short period of time. If the cat rig fits you intended use, go for it.
I've looked over a couple Nunsuch's at insurance auctions, in which case you really dig into the boat before making an offer, I was impressed with the strength and quality of the boats.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
Hinterhoeller went belly-up and left a big demand for Nonsuches. They're nice boats, just did a repair on a 30'. The 30s are BIG inside but it feels like a lot of wasted space; aside from the head it's one large compartment.

Everyone who has one, loves it.

I've seen those things sailing when the wind is up and I'm always waiting for the mast to snap, lol.
Abaft:

I think you worked on the classic Nonsuch 30 layout. There is also a Nonsuch 30 Ultra layout that has a separate forward cabin. Matter of choice which layout one favors. Hulls are the same.
Old 28-07-2013, 18:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Nunsuch's are sneaky fast on a reach, the underbody is definitely a modern design which catches people of guard at times, but I do have to agree that they don't point as well, it's just a limitation of a cat rig and the overall intent of the design.
The interior volume is generous for it's size.
Figure out where you'll be sailing and in what conditions and then make your decision. I sail the New England coast and for some reason it seams I'm just about always sailing upwind, it's just life I guess. Don't choose a rig based on your current capability, choose it on what you feel will fit your needs, you'll master whatever rig you choose in a short period of time. If the cat rig fits you intended use, go for it.
I've looked over a couple Nunsuch's at insurance auctions, in which case you really dig into the boat before making an offer, I was impressed with the strength and quality of the boats.
Fellow who bought my dead diesel bought a Nonsuch 30 that was sunk and had been pounding against a jetty for three days after a storm. Boat had an opening from the cockpit forward that a person could slide through. He patched it up rebuilt the engine and is still sailing on the Chesapeake with it six years later.
Old 28-07-2013, 18:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to the aluminum masts when you warn of the two part ones. Have you heard of any issues with the later versions using carbon fiber masts?
The masts are not breaking left and right believe me I would have heard about about it. Not heard much about the carbon fiber masts either as there are so few boats with them compared to the aluminum. The top of the mast is designed to bend and spill the air so the boat does not get overpowered within reason. As for me I reef early and often which is easy to do from the cockpit.