Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 22:04   #1

First boat for new sailor

Hello

I am just wondering about what advice current yacht owners would give to someone thinking about getting into it.

I will start by saying I do not have a background sailing but I like the idea and have recently found it is within budget.

I want a sailing ship I can live comfortably on, possibly invite a few people and have something do do some snorkeling and fishing from.

I like the idea of a Beneteau as they seem common enough that it could be repaired by people in foreign countries etc and they seem about what I would want.

I am looking at the Beneteau 40 as I have read 40 is a good size and is stable and large enough for ocean going and the fiberglass hull I think would be preferable.

Would it be recommended having a brand new engine fitted were I to buy a 2nd hand boat? Would it be recommended to uprate the engine to a larger model to have better control in rougher seas?

What type of sail setup is the best fora novice? I would want something basic and strong, easy to use and maintain.

Roughly how far can I travel on a full tank of fuel? Could I travel from Europe to the Caribbean for example or is the engine only for rougher seas and docking and departing etc? Is it really true that oil rigs give out free fuel to sailing ship or every boat?

How much maintenance is needed on the engine? Do you lot carry a whole workshop with you and spare engine parts?

Do you carry spare motors and computers and other parts on board for the auto pilot?

Should I go for a boat with 1 or 2 steering wheels?I am thinking 1 as there is less to go wrong and maintain.

Apologies for lots of questions I just want to know exactly what I would be getting into, I will probably think of more but for now I will post this

Thank you for any replies
oceanblue123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 23:13   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: First boat for new sailor

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 23:27   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Oceanbluey I usually take a few spare jerry jugs as I find the hose at the oil rig fuel bowser usually does not reach down to sea level. The worst bit of oil rig fuel is there is no shop so you cannot get a coke and meat pie to take away.
I have two of everything onboard including wives, that way you never have to worry about anything breaking or getting a headache.
Benny’s are good yachts, plenty have been around the world. You might want to read a few other newbie threads on this forum. LOL
Where is GordMay?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, oceanblue.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblue123 View Post
Hello

I am just wondering about what advice current yacht owners would give to someone thinking about getting into it.

Be very, absolutely, 100%, really, and I do mean really, darn sure you want to get into it. People joke about 'boat' standing for 'break out another thousand', they aren't joking. Maybe not a thousand at a time, but a boat will eat your money.

Quote:

I will start by saying I do not have a background sailing but I like the idea and have recently found it is within budget.

I suggest you go sailing for a little bit - either a skippered charter, or with friends. To make sure you very, absolutely, 100%, really, and I do mean really, darn sure you want to do it.

Quote:

I want a sailing ship I can live comfortably on, possibly invite a few people and have something do do some snorkeling and fishing from.

I like the idea of a Beneteau as they seem common enough that it could be repaired by people in foreign countries etc and they seem about what I would want.

You'd be surprised how that will not work out the way you think it would. Most of the time if you want something done in foreign countries (depending on which countries, of course), you either do it yourself, or you empty out your wallet.

Regardless of boat make/model. Having it done for you will cost. Sometimes it will cost a lot. And often you may not get what you pay for. Rarely will it be cheap. And then you still won't get what you pay for.

Doing it yourself, on the other hand, will also cost. But less. And at least if it's cocked up, you know who caused it

Quote:
Would it be recommended having a brand new engine fitted were I to buy a 2nd hand boat? Would it be recommended to uprate the engine to a larger model to have better control in rougher seas?

Unless you're made of money, no. Have the engine looked at by a professional, and maybe do the basics (oil change, filter change, etc.) and any other work that may need done.

Up-rating the engine on a sailing yacht, um, you realise it's a sailing yacht, right? Your sails are your primary mode of propulsion. And most yacht designers are quite capable of finding the right engine for their particular design

Quote:
What type of sail setup is the best fora novice? I would want something basic and strong, easy to use and maintain.

The one that's on whatever boat you buy. You'll get used to it.

Quote:

Roughly how far can I travel on a full tank of fuel? Could I travel from Europe to the Caribbean for example or is the engine only for rougher seas and docking and departing etc? Is it really true that oil rigs give out free fuel to sailing ship or every boat?

Again, a sail boat... primary mode of propulsion is... your sails. Engine's only used when a) there's no wind and you need to get somewhere, b) entering/exiting your anchorage/marina/etc. or just taking a quick motor over to something close by.

You can not travel from the EU to the Caribbean on a full tank of gas. Unless you have a motor trawler. Then they may. And oil rigs giving out free fuel? Doubt it

Quote:

How much maintenance is needed on the engine? Do you lot carry a whole workshop with you and spare engine parts?

How much maintenance is needed on your car? Do you have a workshop at home and spare engine parts?

The answer to that is basically: 42. It depends on what engine, age of the engine, and how confident you are of it not breaking down.

Do carry spare parts for important things, but what those spare parts are or what you find important is a hilariously subjective thing so... you'll have to determine that yourself.

Quote:

Do you carry spare motors and computers and other parts on board for the auto pilot?

No. If it goes kaput, we'll be hand steering for as long as it takes.

Quote:

Should I go for a boat with 1 or 2 steering wheels?I am thinking 1 as there is less to go wrong and maintain.

Up to you
benvanstaveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:18   #6

Oh geez. Please read ALL of these two very recent threads (Just click on the title and it will take you to the thread):

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-221248.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-223096.html

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:51   #7

Boat: Camano 41

Oceanblue, at one time, we all had to start. I don't know anyone, except Popeye who was born with it the skillset. You have read some tongue in cheek, and some advice from folks offering you information you will need. Why not think of it as buying your first car? Then ask the same questions you have just posed. Including the oil rig question. Finding your way to another country and what to do there, just in case, is a long conversation from where you are. Remember a fool and his money are soon parted. Make it a love and you will know the difference between cost and value, wishes and dreams. Good luck to you.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09   #8

Boat: Bristol 32

Go sail on a friend's boat. Or, if that is not possible and you are reasonably flush, take a crewed charter somewhere fun. I hear Greece is nice.

The point is, experience, any experience, is far more valuable than advice. We can't pour this knowledge into you. You have to go get it.

And fair winds. i'm excited for you.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Contact a local sailboat racing committee, post that your looking to crew and want to learn. There's always someone looking for help. Don't go buy a 40 footer without any experience. one season of crewing will probably answer a lot of questions for you.
DSIMMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35   #10

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Do NOT do this. First off, you don't even know if you like sailing, or even boating. Take some lessons and get certified through one of the schools. Make sure you get some offshore experience and particularly in some heavy weather. Crossing an ocean is not for anyone with little to no experience, and honestly most people hate it (In fact, most landlubbers hate boats and the sea, other than big yachts that sit at the marina and they get to go on board for cocktails and parties). Then, charter a couple of times, like the BVI for instance. You are talking about buying a big boat which you will probably not be able to handle, AND you are talking about a significant amount of money.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:35   #11

Boat: Nauticat 32

See some random comments below.

> I will start by saying I do not have a background sailing but I like the idea and have recently found it is within budget.

If you are certain that you _and_your_family_ will like it, buy a boat. Otherwise, start by renting a boat and buy the boat next year.

> I want a sailing ship I can live comfortably on, possibly invite a few people and have something do do some snorkeling and fishing from.

The size of the boat depends on how tightly you are happy to live. No need to start from any bigger boat, even if you have money for it and its costs. You can buy a bigger boat later if you need more space.

> I like the idea of a Beneteau as they seem common enough that it could be repaired by people in foreign countries etc and they seem about what I would want.

I think the brand of the boat is not very important. The brand of the motor and few other key components is more important from repairing point of view.

> I am looking at the Beneteau 40 as I have read 40 is a good size and is stable and large enough for ocean going and the fiberglass hull I think would be preferable.

Sounds like an at least big enough boat to me.

> Would it be recommended having a brand new engine fitted were I to buy a 2nd hand boat? Would it be recommended to uprate the engine to a larger model to have better control in rougher seas?

No need to change, unless there are some known problems in the engine. Probably no need for a bigger engine. If you want to prepare for rough weather, maybe focus on the safety devices.

> What type of sail setup is the best fora novice? I would want something basic and strong, easy to use and maintain.

Probably you will buy a sloop. That's simple enough. In mast furling could be an easy option.

> Roughly how far can I travel on a full tank of fuel? Could I travel from Europe to the Caribbean for example or is the engine only for rougher seas and docking and departing etc? Is it really true that oil rigs give out free fuel to sailing ship or every boat?

In long passages no reasonable amount of fuel will take you there. Be prepared to sail most of the time. Additional fuel can be used optionally to take you forward when there is no wind, and you are not happy to just float and enjoy the day.

> How much maintenance is needed on the engine? Do you lot carry a whole workshop with you and spare engine parts?

Diesel engines usually just work, with quite minimal (yearly) maintenance. I would carry extra wearing parts like filters and impeller but not much more. Make sure that your fuel is good (and you have extra filters for that too). That is probably a more common problem.

> Do you carry spare motors and computers and other parts on board for the auto pilot?

I have extra computers/tablets for navigation. For long passages I'd like to have more than one autopilot/windvane since steering manually for weeks would not be nice.

> Should I go for a boat with 1 or 2 steering wheels?I am thinking 1 as there is less to go wrong and maintain.

One is quite enough for cruising. Most of the time an autopilot/windvane will steer for you.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Go for it , moored next to a retired couple , bought their 46ft benet.. and did the RYA day skippers course and sail every weekend .
We start from the beginning , we all come out our mothers wombs naked ,
and I have not met anyone that gets a boat that says they do not like it
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:57   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Go for it , moored next to a retired couple , bought their 46ft benet.. and did the RYA day skippers course and sail every weekend .
We start from the beginning , we all come out our mothers wombs naked ,
and I have not met anyone that gets a boat that says they do not like it
Really, most marinas are full of sailboats that are never used, never moved, and never get any maintenance

Most from folks that ........went for it without knowing what they were going for
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:17   #14

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Really, most marinas are full of sailboats that are never used, never moved, and never get any maintenance

Most from folks that ........went for it without knowing what they were going for
The dream of those with no sense , I live on an Island Nation , people sail their boats in the UK, there is no rundown boats or neglected boats in my Marina and it is at the lower scale .
We buy because we want to sail and sail we do
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:53   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

As a new sailor, you want to keep it simple. A strong boat from the 70's will serve you well without breaking the bank. Hank on jibs, lots of reef points, and a simple layout below is best. All the frills discussed here are not necessary, and distract from the actual sailing. You don't need refrigeration, fancy electronics, watermaker, bow thrusters, or an electric windlass. A good set of sails, water in the tanks, and a working engine to get you the last 100 feet to the dock...thats all it takes. Autohelm is nice too. Autohelm on a tiller is simplest and cheapest...easy/cheap enough to bring an entire spare that install in seconds if there's a problem.

Its often best to walk before you run. Find a boat you like in your area, and go sailing. The rest will come easily.

Best of luck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail