Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 05:32   #31

Boat: Watkins 29
Re: First boat for new sailor

Ive been sailing since I was a child....have owned many boats over the course of my lifetime...

Im not near being ready to sail the globe and cross oceans...
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:48   #32

Boat: 1988 Catalina C34 TR/WK

As a newbie to sailing myself I will share my thoughts/journey in hope it helps. First let me mentioned that I used to own 36' Carver Mariner years ago, which is a power boat, so at least I have an idea what boat ownership is like. I have similar desires as you and was invited this spring to sail Jeanneau 440 by a local dealer in Annapolis. While I enjoyed my time on it and it is a beautiful boat capable of short-handed/single handed sailing, I decided to make sure that it is something I want to get into, since financial commitment is significant. I took ASA 101 end of May and then sailed 24' sailboat through the summer. This coming Monday I am taking a combined ASA 103/104 5 day class as a live-aboard experience. Next May I signed up for a 2 week offshore trip to crew on a 58' sailboat from Caribbean to North East US. After that trip hopefully I will know enough to make an intelligent decision
Medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:13   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

27 feet?

For ocean passages?

27 feet is the mickey mouse of deep sea sailing. Marginal in all ways: comfort,safety, seaworthiness, hey ma look at me factor.

Whoever can afford, will get a 35-40 ft old school boat. Or a 40+ new school boat (aka plastick fanatstick).

Small boats are great watertoys and can be used for sea going when nothing better available (for any of many reasons). But that's that.

Choice in the 35-45 bracket is huge. There is no reason to go any smaller. Below 30 it is actually inviting trouble.

Do not look at the Minis and say they are 6.5 m long and cross oceans too. You are likely not a Mini sailor.

Marathon is bang easy too, when you watch it on yout TV, eh?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:21   #34

I just finished the book “the water in between”
(Guy never sailed, bought a 37’ yatch met a guy on the pier and the two sailed away two weeks later, made it Tahiti and back to Victoria, BC)
God loves the foolhardy it seems.
I have also come across numerous stories of those who truly know what they are up against and therefore never shove off........

Not sure if the OP is sincere or baiting.......
I have never heard of anyone thinking that a motor in a sail boat would be used for an entire crossing.....
has staions in the ocean? Refined oil on rigs.....
I’m betting this is bait
Upnorth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
27 feet?

For ocean passages?

27 feet is the mickey mouse of deep sea sailing. Marginal in all ways: comfort,safety, seaworthiness, hey ma look at me factor.

Whoever can afford, will get a 35-40 ft old school boat. Or a 40+ new school boat (aka plastick fanatstick).

Small boats are great watertoys and can be used for sea going when nothing better available (for any of many reasons). But that's that.

Choice in the 35-45 bracket is huge. There is no reason to go any smaller. Below 30 it is actually inviting trouble.

Do not look at the Minis and say they are 6.5 m long and cross oceans too. You are likely not a Mini sailor.

Marathon is bang easy too, when you watch it on yout TV, eh?

b.
https://www.bosunbird.com/page14.php

Silliness. There are several 27s that are truly Water boats">blue water boats.
Upnorth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:41   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post

Silliness. There are several 27s that are truly blue water boats.
I think he was referring to all aspects (especially for a beginner) not just whether or not a 27' boat can be a blue water boat and sail across an ocean or circumnavigate

I believe he has crossed over to the Caribbean on a 27' boat himself also (from the Canary Islands)

Did you see the statement on Mini's? That's what Steven Callahan was sailing (21.3') when he was on his return sail across the Atlantic. He had drop out of the mini's race to complete a repair (which may or may not have contributed to the sinking)

Maybe he'll respond soon

Most here know about the Contessa 26's and the Vega 27's that have circumnavigated and that Robin Lee Graham sailed 3/4 the way around on a Lapworth 24

And that Webb Chiles has sailed a super light weight Merit 24 across a ocean or two
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 07:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post

Silliness. There are several 27s that are truly blue water boats.

OK. Silliness. OK.

If you look again, OP's post is a kind of silliness too.

They call this treatment homeopathy - I think - and you know what? I does not work!

Just from what perspective do YOU talk?

I talk from the perspective of somebody who owns one, sailed it rtw, and then 4 times round the Atlantic.

How big is your boat, and how many oceans have you crossed in it?

Mind I do not say small boats cannot be used for this. What I am saying is that small boats are not the best choice for most / average person.

You can take your clues from someone who wants to sell you their book or blog, or from someone who actually has a small boat and sailed it to places. Choices, choices.

Cheers,
b.
Old 13-09-2019, 08:09   #38

He, 77:

self-portrait in the present sea journal

sailed this, 24:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore_24

rtw too.

Meaning?

Other experience level, other aspirations, other boat choices!

It is a Benne for the OP. A Bava. A Jeann. A Hunter. Etc. Perhaps a PS, if Americain. 40-45 ft or thereabouts.

A Lagoon cat sounds about perfect choice.

My opinion, not a fact in stone.

b.
Old 16-09-2019, 12:11   #39
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Start with a 14 footer at your local lake, and whip it around the place until you are fully confident and happy with it - every weekend for about a year should do it.. There you can practice all sorts of fun things that are eventually going to happen to you on a cruising boat whether you like it or not.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 12:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
As a newbie to sailing myself I will share my thoughts/journey in hope it helps. First let me mentioned that I used to own 36' Carver Mariner years ago, which is a power boat, so at least I have an idea what boat ownership is like. I have similar desires as you and was invited this spring to sail Jeanneau 440 by a local dealer in Annapolis. While I enjoyed my time on it and it is a beautiful boat capable of short-handed/single handed sailing, I decided to make sure that it is something I want to get into, since financial commitment is significant. I took ASA 101 end of May and then sailed 24' sailboat through the summer. This coming Monday I am taking a combined ASA 103/104 5 day class as a live-aboard experience. Next May I signed up for a 2 week offshore trip to crew on a 58' sailboat from Caribbean to North East US. After that trip hopefully I will know enough to make an intelligent decision
This is (for the most part) the route I plan to take as a total newb myself. I’m studying the books now, trying to get an open slot for the 101/103 combo course and go from there. If I find that I like it as much as I’m pretty positive I will, the next rungs up the ladder will follow and then (and only then) will I start seriously looking at buying a boat in the 35 foot range. The Hunter 356 is the one that currently grabs me but I’m sure I’ll see others that are equally as intriguing but first things first. I’ve grown up around power boats and have a very limited amount of experience on other folks’ sailboats but it’s enough that I feel confident that I’m going to be a boat owner in the not too distant future.
kd410se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 13:30   #41

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hello and welcome.

Go to sailing school. Actually, go to a couple learn to charter and navigate in a couple places.

I say this as a many, many year sailing school instructor who has discussed this very question on almost every charter/training cruise.

Norm
Harwich, MA
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 14:14   #42

Buy and read Sailing for Dummies.

It is truly a worthwhile book.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 13:00   #43

Boat: 1988 Catalina C34 TR/WK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd410se View Post
This is (for the most part) the route I plan to take as a total newb myself. I’m studying the books now, trying to get an open slot for the 101/103 combo course and go from there. If I find that I like it as much as I’m pretty positive I will, the next rungs up the ladder will follow and then (and only then) will I start seriously looking at buying a boat in the 35 foot range. The Hunter 356 is the one that currently grabs me but I’m sure I’ll see others that are equally as intriguing but first things first. I’ve grown up around power boats and have a very limited amount of experience on other folks’ sailboats but it’s enough that I feel confident that I’m going to be a boat owner in the not too distant future.
Just came back from the 5 day live aboard 103/104. Passed both tests and learned a ton. My power boat experience translated well at the marina docking. Sailing an all sail 26’ no auxiliary power sailboat all summer really helped as well. My next step is a two week offshore trip next May 😁
Medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 13:13   #44

Read "less", study "less", sail MORE.

Get into local weekend / racing scene. Take all kinds of craft, be it off the beach.

Sail, sail, sail then SAIL more.

10 hours on the water are better than 10 hours in any classroom.

NOTE: I do not say 'do not study'. Quite the contrary. Just prioritize sailng time at the top of your choices.

Study when you cannot sail, WINTER.

Super nice to meet people with 100, 101, 102, 103 certifications. Even more so when they can handle that boat in anything m nature throws at us sailors.

Cheers,
b.
Old 21-09-2019, 13:36   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

This would be a very good choice for a first boat:

1972 Celebrity 19.9

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...982038108.html

https://www.southportislandmarine.co...britysloopmore
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags