Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 13:15   #31

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: First boat for long cruises with small family

Morgan 33 O/I might suite you. 12' beam means more living space and storage than most 38s or 40s. Older boat so finding one in good condition is critical. Very solid ocean going design, slow but safe. $20k for purchase and fitting out tight but might be possible. Good luck with your search. I would not buy a European boar because rewiring for US/Caribbean 30 or 50 amp service is a bear.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:19   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmowner View Post
Thank you for congratulations! What do you mean in "home base"? We would like boat to be our home for at least one year. Due my job I change cities like socks and I cannot say where is my home. And since I have enough money I enjoy to visit new countries more than have a base somewhere. That's the reason I still have no own home.
If you work in NY and have a boat in Paris, what good is the boat? If you move to Paris and the boat is in Peloponez, what good is the boat? And if you are changing places like socks, who is bringing up the baby?

By home base I understand the place where you want to base the boat, the baby and your life. Do not buy a boat in the Med, if you want to cruise the West Indies; simply buy a boat in the West Indies - you save time, hassle and money.

This is important since it is easy to buy a HR Monsun in Sweden, but not quite in the Caribbean. The opposite is true for a Tartan. etc.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:23   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Keep an eye on this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:34   #34

Quote:

(...) what's wrong with cruise with small baby? He will be at least six months old when we will start. We wait him in February and I hope to get a boat in summer. I think he will be in more danger here, in cold fall and winter than in tropical climat.
My friends have one who has just turned 0.5 y.o. I say wait. It is a small continuous duty shitting machine that basically only eats, sleeps and does the former thing, then eats again. They are VERY tired. In a small boat, without external help, things tend to accumulate.

I have friends who were in the situation you mentioned: baby made onboard, carried onboard and (delivered in a hospital) then back to cruising almost immediately (baby 3 months old) BUT they were in a 50ft cat with a nanny. It made many things so much easier.

Take care, deliver, wait, cruise ;-)
b.
Old 18-01-2017, 15:47   #35

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

[QUOTE=barnakiel;2306546]My friends have one who has just turned 0.5 y.o. I say wait. It is a small continuous duty shitting machine that basically only eats, sleeps and does the former thing, then eats again. They are VERY tired. In a small boat, without external help, things tend to accumulate.
I have friends who were in the situation you mentioned: baby made onboard, carried onboard and (delivered in a hospital) then back to cruising almost immediately (baby 3 months old) BUT they were in a 50ft cat with a nanny. It made many things so much easier.
Take care, deliver, wait, cruise ;-)

To the logical male mind it makes perfect sense to start now. Fairly easy to overpower the wife with logic. To the new mother when baby is spiking 102, it's panic time. Second or 3rd kid no sweat but first time moms are skittish. Trust me, a new mom needs to be close to mother, the doctor or both. They just are wired differently and vive la differencia.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 17:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post

(...)

To the logical male mind it makes perfect sense to start now. Fairly easy to overpower the wife with logic. To the new mother when baby is spiking 102, it's panic time. Second or 3rd kid no sweat but first time moms are skittish. Trust me, a new mom needs to be close to mother, the doctor or both. They just are wired differently and vive la differencia.
+1! bump

barnakiel
Old 18-01-2017, 19:42   #37

Boat: CLC Skerry

I would recommend looking into boats available in the Canadian Great Lakes area. Value of US vs. Canadian dollar is very much in your favor right now. Great Lakes boats are almost always in great shape because of the short sailing season up here. Try looking on Kijiji, the Canadian version of Craigslist. You can configure it to get daily updates. One other thing: don't stress about your English skills; you're perfectly understandable. Best of luck to you.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 22:57   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to calmowner

Could anyone say if it is reasonable price for such boat? westsail 32 sailboat jan 19 2017
I have got an answer from seller and ha said that there is growth on bottom, interior needs to be rebuilt, but hull has no blisters and boat is ready to sail away, for example to Florida.
calmowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:21   #39

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Could anyone say if it is reasonable price for such boat? westsail 32 sailboat jan 19 2017
I have got an answer from seller and ha said that there is growth on bottom, interior needs to be rebuilt, but hull has no blisters and boat is ready to sail away, for example to Florida.
By ready to sail away I think he means he's ready for the boat to go away. If the interior needs to be rebuilt it's not ready to sail away. The question is why does it need a new interior? Just remember, the cheapest boat usually turns out to be the most expensive boat in the long run. Find a boat in good condition!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 05:55   #40

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
You're going to spend a lot of time getting that boat ready...unless you just do it little by little and get it sail ready first then focus on the cosmetic aspect of it later...

Lots of people end up coming to New England to buy boats frankly because there are great deals to be had! I have an Italian friend that I met mainly through another friend who hosted him and his girlfriend at the time while they outfitted their boat in New Bedford for a summer.

Also, the young couple who blog and host a Youtube video series for Sailing Uma bought their boat for super cheap in Fairhaven in the Winter as well as they did some work to it before having it transported to Florida for warmer weather so that they can outfit it.

So the savings you get buying a boat here are apparently worth it to a lot of people.

Only recommendations I have is that what ever boat you find, offer half the price they ask. Trust me...There are unique advantages that potential boat buyers have over the used boat market that many other markets don't have...The other recommendation is not stick to only a few brands or models of boats...Keep your eyes and ears open as there may be a surprise waiting for you in a boat you never heard of...Recently on CL, there was a Caliber 33 for sale for about $25k...boat I never heard of but certainly one I would put top of my list considering its quality and design...it looks like it sold recently as ad was recently removed...

The Tartan 27 Yawl I owned was being offered for about $10k on one of the boat market websites before the owner sold it to me for $2500.

I know am working on a Tartan 34 which I bought the next town over from me for $3000. A lot of work to be done but I don't mind it considering I did not have to take out a loan for my boat.

Right now, there are a few boats on Craigslist locally here that I can recommend to you meeting your requirements for you and your family. Also, the Islanders appear to be decent for for the price:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/5965690659.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/5962825968.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/5961860964.html
http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/5961038962.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/5955881817.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/5919969291.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/5876014433.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/5956119846.html
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:00   #41

Just had a look into map. My search reduced to Atlantic coast and nearby areas, no Great Lakes since I have no Canadian visa and it's complicated to get it, especially after sanctions deployed.
Old 20-01-2017, 13:31   #42

Hell yeah! What everyone else says about kids. Babies are time suckers. I'm living in an open 32' trailer with my one and three year old daughters, and my one year old is enjoying waking up at 06:30 and screaming at her banister until one of us comes down. Luckily she slept through the night last night. Shutting a few doors and being able to turn off a monitor sounds amazing.

They also like to go everywhere and get into everything, test out the boundaries. You'll understand when you have them. Congratulations! They're also pretty amazing sometimes, and you'll have some "free" labor later on.

They also hate wearing life jackets when under a year, but you can't trust them to not fall/jump in.

We'll look for you when we finally get a boat and get out, shooting for 5 years.
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 22:46   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello *calmowner*,

I am Ann, nice to meet you, and welcome to CF. Jim and I have been cruising for 30 yrs., more or less, and over 130,000 n. mi. cruising. So, you could tell by my name that I am a woman, and the first one of my gender to respond to this thread.

In case you haven't already got all this worked out, i want to mention a few of what I think are issues.

1) Caretaking the child. How are these duties to be divided? At sea, while the boat is moving through the water, someone must be on watch. While the child is awake, someone must be watching it. Also, for life to run smoothly aboard, there will be maintenance, cooking, and cleaning up duties at the very same time as child watching and "keeping watch" are going on, and there are but two of you. You need a plan, and it must be something your wife is happy with it. There is at least one CF member who might help you with this: "atoll", who was raised on a monohull.

2) Which space on the boat will you allocate to the 6 month old? Lucky for you, it is sleeping through the night now, and you have less interrupted sleep. The people we know who raised babies aboard, allotted the forepeak to the kid(s). I know Boatman 61 suggested the quarterberth. Frankly, I felt shocked, no idea how your wife would react to the issue. [Could this be a troll????] But there is this to say for it: the child cannot roll or fall far and injure him/herself, and it leaves most of the boat available for the adults or storage.

Note: There are working time considerations here. Usually, our IT friends require pretty much full time broadband service, with huge data requirements. You need a workable plan, considering the difficulty of doing this while traveling in the "3rd world". Sometimes there is NO internet connection.

3) After fixing up the boat for travel, going to South America will put you out of e-mail contact for long periods of time. You will need some form of satellite comms, and with larger data limits than most cruisers have. Needs working out how this is going to happen, or you will lose HEAPS of $$$.

4) Russian citizens? may be passport restrictions...more plans.

Finally, a mention of a boat that might work for you, pretty old now, and with a weakness I will try to address, but a boat that was a pleasure to sail, and Jim and I took to HI from San Francisco and sailed back, hence blue water capable, but small. It was a Sparkman & Stevens 30, called a "Yankee 30" in the U.S. It required stiffening in its forward sections, which Jim effected (send him a PM for details if interested). Should you find one in excellent condition, you might consider it, with the q'berth for "Jasper", the baby to be, and the forepeak for stowage.

Best wishes,

Ann
Old 24-01-2017, 00:18   #44

I took a look into Morgan Out Island and I'm confused with low draft. Low draft plus serious weight decrease seaworthiness, isn't?
To all who cares about baby - generally I think that it's better to pass all my time with my family, that's one of our goals. I'm pretty sure that baby could be comfortably accomodated in 32"+ boat, has his own berth with a fishnet or cradle which protect him from injuries. I hope to find a boat with double bed in quarter of in aft cabin to provide V-berth for baby. And duties... We still have no slaves in our apartment yet, so cooking is my wife's duty, and childcare will be too. I don't see a problem there.
Old 24-01-2017, 00:26   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I took a look into Morgan Out Island and I'm confused with low draft. Low draft plus serious weight decrease seaworthiness, isn't?
To all who cares about baby - generally I think that it's better to pass all my time with my family, that's one of our goals. I'm pretty sure that baby could be comfortably accommodated in 32"+ boat, has his own berth with a fishnet or cradle which protect him from injuries. I hope to find a boat with double bed in quarter of in aft cabin to provide V-berth for baby. And duties...

As to potential problems, I have only this to say: I hope the wife thinks all this is okay, or you have a nanny hired to help out.

Ann

Tags
cruise, family