Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 11:31   #91

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3
Re: First boat for cruising the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Elvis,
Again?
Elcid,
Calmate. Calm yourself. Do not worry about the small ****. A sound boat that is close is all you need. You say this is an interim boat. Stay on the big stuff: you, wife, kid. Under 12m. Good diesel. All else is nice to have, or add-able. (I made that up). You will learn so much just going for it without great financial risk. Get a good boat that is 80%. Sail it. Live on it. LEARN! Change it. Adapt it. Make the list for your next boat that suits your family. But start with a sound boat. And DO it.
Visit Isabelle in Siracusa, if you want.
Bob
Thanks Bob! I'm going to do it 100%, there's no way back now
What do you mean a boat that is 80%? Like 80% of what I'd like? One Garcia Exploration 45 please
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 13:18   #92
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
First boat for cruising the Med

Just sail around the beautiful Med in a good Med boat thanking the stars you are in one of the worlds most beautiful cruising areas. After a while thoughts of some aluminium fancy pancy will pass and your realise the best boat in the world. Is the one you have right now.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04   #93

Is this bad? Or normal for a boat from 2006?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 12.02.27.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	227995  
Old 02-12-2020, 03:40   #94

This was from a survey made last year, while the boat was on the hard. Now it's also sitting on the hard... could this be a concern?

It's this boat here:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1984640/
Old 02-12-2020, 06:31   #95

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
This was from a survey made last year, while the boat was on the hard. Now it's also sitting on the hard... could this be a concern?

It's this boat here:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1984640/

We chartered a Jeanneau SO in BVI a couple of years ago which, while not the same model, had an identical galley layout as the one you have posted.
We may be spoiled by our own boat which has a superb galley but grew to really dislike the lack of usable counter space in the charter boat. Virtually all of the counter space is on the top loading fridge which usually is in use so food prep is really challenging as you have to keep moving things somewhere while you open the fridge to get food out. And most of the time sink covers are removed and stowed. Always a compromise when there is an aft cabin or head door. But, usable counter space is a huge asset in food prep. One fix for the boat in question would be to split the refrigerator lid so that only half has to be raised up at once.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:37   #96

malbert73 def agree - and that's why I much prefer the Oceanis 40. However that model seems to be out of my price range unfortunately. Although I absolutely love everything about it.
I keep hoping a good Oceanis 37 will appear at least. There was one for 80K EUR which was expensive, but appeared to be in great condition.
I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be more wise to pay for a buyer's broker. I'm really inexperienced as a first time buyer, and I have no idea what to look out for. How much would it cost me?
If anyone knows a good one - either in Greece or Spain - please let me know.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:00   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I was directly in this category at September and looked at most of what you listed there

Had set my heart on another 393 but decided age and my wife’s abilities meant a little smaller then my initial thinking , so got a very nice private owner only Bavaria 36. Only spent about 60% of my budget but now I’m knee deep in upgrades ( bow spit and furling cruising chute for one ) enhanced solar , new autopilot etc.

I’d looked at a few Jeanneau 36i which you should include in your list , or even the 39i

I’d avoid ex charter unless reasonably new , as I found the interior wood takes a beating and sometimes everything is tired. There were sone well maintained Bavaria 39s in the ex charter that seemed to well looked after but had teak decks and while i love the look I hate the maintenance and replacement costs. !!

This is my 8th boat !! ( owned from 45 to 28!foot)
By the way. Did you get Lapponia by any chance? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...uiser-3720803/
Old 02-12-2020, 12:55   #98
Nearly an old salt

No too new for me
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47   #99

Guys - my offer was accepted. I'm waiting to sign the pre-sale agreement now.
Thank you all for your help!

Fingers crossed it all goes well from here!
Old 10-12-2020, 18:30   #100

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Guys - my offer was accepted. I'm waiting to sign the pre-sale agreement now.
Thank you all for your help!

Fingers crossed it all goes well from here!

Good luck! What’s the boat?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:51   #101

Boat: Moody 41AC

Did you buy the Jeaneau 40 ? Looks a lot of boat for price . As an owner of a boat of roughly same size I might suggest you fit an electric winch if it hasn’t got one for the main and lifting dingy sailin bags etc. Do check out the bowthruster is reliable and that there’s some form of cockpit shelter plus that the fridge works in all that heat - even here boat fridges are poor so a keel cooled option might be worth a look. Happy sailing. I believe BTW overwintering in Italy is cheaper than Lefkas but only based on comments heard.
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:13   #102

Yes - I got the Jeanneau 40.3

Thanks for the electric winch suggestion - where can I find a good one? I was looking at davits for lifting the dinghy, but this could be a better option as it's more versatile.

Do people lift their dinghy every night? I suppose it would be too easy for someone to steal it if it's only tied to the boat right?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:18   #103
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Yes - I got the Jeanneau 40.3

Thanks for the electric winch suggestion - where can I find a good one? I was looking at davits for lifting the dinghy, but this could be a better option as it's more versatile.

Do people lift their dinghy every night? I suppose it would be too easy for someone to steal it if it's only tied to the boat right?

No people don’t lift the dinghy at night in the Med
Old 11-12-2020, 02:28   #104

Boat: Moody 41AC

I think any of the main winch makers do them . There is one out recently which is said to have a lower sub deck profile. Personally I would go with whatever make of winches there are on board eg harken or lewmar and ask the broker to advise who can fit an Electric one or maybe see if the jeaneau owners association can advise . We don’t have davits but if we were to go to med I would also invest in something to lift the dingy up . Rather nifty idea on sailing RAN utube video and interesting to see his thoughts on upgrades to his Najad -hope you will ask about anchors soon as many thoughts on that topic and I guess it’s another area for upgrade.
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:32   #105

For the anchor I want to upgrade the current Bruce 20kg to a Rocna 20kg (I'd even go for the 25kg - but not sure if that's a good idea?)

There's also 80m of 10mm chain. The walk-through surveyor said in good condition, but we'll see.

Tags
boat, cruising