Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 07:32   #31

Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Glad to hear things worked out so well for you! I'm in a similar frame of mind at the moment as you were, but never say never, eh?!
Carltonboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:36   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Soujourner,
À waiter probably eats at his restaurant every work day hence is the perfect person to ask what is good and what isn't.
Damn.. Obviously worked the wrong Hotels and Restaurants during my time in catering.. no way did we get stuff off the menu..
Egg and chips with beans or sausage maybe.. 😁

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:43   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oh sod it, just blow the budget and buy this, gorgeous:

https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbroker...NAJAD-343.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	najad-343-202457_5d5ff55d26bb5e.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	205185  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. .... Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27.

Looking to live on it for the next few years......would be nice to have space for someone else

.......sailing to America ....... blue water capability is important.
With these goals, this will be your last boat, if you sell it and move back to land. Trust me, once you get a significant other, live aboard for any length of time or start making long passages, you will be looking to move up.

Just spend a few hours on the countless You Tube Forums. Most start with boats in the mid to upper 30's and they all eventually start looking to upgrade.

One sure way to ensure this isn't your last boat, is to buy a boat too small to do what you want to do comfortably.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:31   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Have a look at Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 and the 27' model. Both very seaworthy boats. Might be hard to find overseas, though.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:19   #36

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Hi Carlton

I’ve been sailing for 40 years, but only properly graduated to cruising about 12 – 15 years ago. I’ve gradually traded up from a 23 footer to a 33 footer with a 25 footer and 29 footer on the way.

I have a few comments as follows:

1. You don’t say where you are based and that would be useful to know to give you advice as to what to look for as makes of boats are quite different in Europe/UK and the USA. And there are differences in boat styles between UK and Europe too.

2. Don’t buy a boat until you have had some experience. That will affect your judgement considerably, including about what to buy. Do a few Flotilla holidays. You might even meet future crew on these. The early and late season Flotillas often involve slightly longer trips moving boats from their wintering base to their cruising grounds which are great for slightly more challenging conditions as well as for meeting people and seeing places.

3. Get a sailing qualification. But most of all, get experience. That’s where most of my learning has come from. A lot of the issues are about making judgements in unexpected circumstances. In the end I think that’s what makes a good skipper.

4. You talk about sailing in Europe and a possible Atlantic crossing. The seas in each area are quite different and one boat may not comfortably fit all (despite what the boat makers might say). Sailing around the UK is dominated by tides. That will also affect Northern European sailing (though to what extent I don’t know). There are no tides to speak of in the Mediterranean. Much easier! But if you have no experience of sailing in tidal waters and then encounter them, you’ll have a steep learning curve. A considerable issue in the Mediterranean will be heat. If you sail there you will need a boat with a Bimini to shade you from it’s worst effects. But it can also get stormy in the Med and throw up nasty short, step seas. You won’t be affected by tides crossing the Atlantic. But the sea states you encounter will be very different, read up on that.

5. Get a boat that you can single hand comfortably and feel confident about single handing, but one where you can take crew if you want to.

6. Make sure your boat engine is big enough for the types of trips you want to do. My current boat is under-engined with an 18 horse Volvo meaning I can find myself doing as little as 2.5knts when motoring against the tide. Painful!

7. If you are going to the Med and possibly elsewhere in Europe, you will need a holding tank. If the boat you are keenest on hasn’t got one, make sure she has the space to accommodate one.

8. If you are going across the Atlantic you will need a lot of tankage for fuel and water. Or room for a water maker. My last boat only carried 50 litres of water and 26 litres of fuel. Some people wouldn’t get further than the Isle of Wight on that.

My last boat was a Beneteau First 285 – just under 29 ft. My current boat is a Westerly Storm 33. Only 4 foot longer but a much bigger boat in reality. The Westerly will sleep 7 (tight), but also I can and do singlehand her, though picking up a mooring single handed in a Force 6 is interesting. I wouldn’t take the Beneteau First 285 across the Atlantic, good little boat that she was. My Westerly would be just about be big enough for that. But the main thing is that she’s solidly built and a good sea boat, and also quite quick (I’ve caught and passed a Contessa 32 and a Beneteau 38).

If you are in the UK, I’d look at Sadlers, Westerlys, Moodys, Nicholsons (don’t rule out a Nicholson 35), Rivals, Rustlers, Starlights and Island Packets. Some will be outside your £50k price range. But many won’t be. Spend about about £30k (you’d get a Westerly Storm for that) and then spend the other £20k on upgrades to the engine, electronics, sails, rigging etc. Contessas are great but quite low in the water compared to others and thus potentially quite wet. They also have a lot less cabin space comparatively. But how much space you need only you can judge – and some boats have poor storage space.

Finally think about a make of boat that you can sell on when the time comes. There are thousands of obscure makes that may be good boats but which have no ‘following’. The above brands are well known and you are likely to get some interest when the time comes to sell, especially if they have been looked after and have a good pedigree.

But before buying, get some experience first! That will help you buy a boat you are proud to own. There is nothing worse than splashing the cash and then wishing you’d bought something else instead. I’m very happy that my Westerly Storm is the best boat I have ever bought and it was absolutely the right choice for me.

Good luck!

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:45   #37

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hi,

Longtime lurker and newbie sailor.

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Initially for sailing around Europe but sailing to America would be a helluva achievement so blue water capability is important. Budget is £50,000.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

Thanks!
The first thing you should do is hang around local marinas and see if you can finangle a ride on some boats. The brand really won't matter at this point as you need to understand the difference that water line makes. Shorter boats with a lesser waterline will be much more susceptable to bouncing around in rough water than a longer boat. You'll find that a 32' boat will be much more stable than a 27'er - those extra few feet will really make a difference.

You mentioned that you'd like to cross the Atlantic. Even though this crossing is considered a "milk run" compared to most crossings, you'd be wise to have four people on board to handle the watch shifts which is doable in 32'er but would be very tight in something smaller.

For now, save your money and get some experience before making any plunge. Boats are not exactly a liquid asset and getting rid of one you really don't want can suck a great deal of time out of your future sailing plans.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
Hi Carlton

I’ve been sailing for 40 years, but only properly graduated to cruising about 12 – 15 years ago. I’ve gradually traded up from a 23 footer to a 33 footer with a 25 footer and 29 footer on the way.

Good luck!

Thanks Paul, this is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to give me such a comprehensive anser!
Carltonboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:08   #39

Boat: Cal-40

I’ve seen lately some really good deals on some Westsail 32. Not the turn key boats for sure as they were in need of some fixing and cleaning up but overall something good to get you going. I’ve always been partial to double enders and cutter rigs with a more traditional lines.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:16   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Hi Carlton,

If you are a handyman, you can find a strongly constructed boat that needs upgrades for not a lot of money.

I wanted a Pearson 36 and found one with a new engine, but the rest of the boat needed a complete overhaul. The electronics were out-dated, the wiring was a mess and the standing rigging needed changing.

After 10 years of sailing and finishing various projects in the winter, I now have a boat that is better than new.

When I brought her to Europe, I had to pay VAT and put the boat through a Post-Construction Assessment survey to get her 100% legal in the EU. Adding second lifelines, gaskets to the lazarette seats, a lock on the aft lazarette, a separate switch for the bilge pump, the ability to close off the dorade ventilation were the modifications I needed to pass the PCA.

Some of the work was not done to EU standards, but all of it was done to ABYC the Dutch inspector passed my US propane hose, even though in the EU, it is required to use copper lines.

So your choice with your budget is limited to how much work you can/want to do yourself, how much you have to "farm out" or buy a boat that has been well cared for.

As others wrote, it is always good to sail on as many different boats as you can and then you get a real feel of what you like and don't.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:34   #41

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

to roughly quote alain de boton "beware of misguided schemes for happiness" - one of which is 'running away to sea'....however, if you survive the buyers remorse, good luck on your journey.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:35   #42
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Hi,

Longtime lurker and newbie sailor.

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Initially for sailing around Europe but sailing to America would be a helluva achievement so blue water capability is important. Budget is £50,000.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

Thanks!
As you are just starting out, small is not a bad place to begin. There should be plenty of boats in that category to chose from. My advice is to look at as many boats until you get tired..then look at more. You will learn along the way and the boat for you will be there when you see it...but then look at a few more. YOU CAN'T LOOK AT TOO MANY BOATS.

Good Luck

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 15:55   #43

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.. Obviously worked the wrong Hotels and Restaurants during my time in catering.. no way did we get stuff off the menu..
Egg and chips with beans or sausage maybe.. 😁
Boatman,
I appreciate all your post, but this one makes me wonder. What do you eat when eating out at restaurant? Inquiring minds want to know, and don't say your goat. Again apologies for the drift.
Carlton,
Your adventure is just beginning! Go down to the docks and charm your way on as crew. Good luck.
Old 16-12-2019, 16:02   #44

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Lots of good posts and advice, so I’ll give my direct 2cents and not repeat the wisdom. I would plan on a two boat strategy. Buy a boat now in the size range you think, that you think you can resell... aka pick a factory boat. Sail and understand what compromises fit you over a few years, then buy what you think will be your long term boat. From personal experience, buying a forever boat as your first boat is impossible. you just don’t know what compromises will drive you crazy long term until you experience them.
Good luck and enjoy the process!
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 16:08   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Boatman,
I appreciate all your post, but this one makes me wonder. What do you eat when eating out at restaurant? Inquiring minds want to know, and don't say your goat. Again apologies for the drift.
Carlton,
Your adventure is just beginning! Go down to the docks and charm your way on as crew. Good luck.
Not egg, chips and sausage.. Workers are fed cheap food not top quality Steak or Beef Stroganoff, nor Honey & Garlic Salmon.. so your waiter may be able to recommend the sausage but as for the A La Carte not honestly..
Oh.. I don't like goat but sometimes suffer it rather than offend, I'm a courteous guest.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, grass