Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2009, 08:16   #1

Finngulf 34 by Hakan Södergren

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new(to me) boat. I'm looking at a Finngulf 34. It is an older boat, Scandinavian built. Manufactured in the early 80's and was, as far as I know, Finngulfs first production based boats that started the company. The vessel herself is constructed out of fiberglass with a foam core. This boat originally was as the cruising model, but has had the interior pretty much gutted to reduce weight for blue-water racing.

I've scheduled to have her surveyed this week, so I won't really know anything until that takes place. Overall, the boat looks to be in good condition with no visible signs of delaminating or any soft spots on the deck. Rigging is dated, but intact and functional. Not really sure where to start. Anyone here have any experience with this model, or Finngulf in general? From what I have read, Finngulf Marine is a very good boat builder overseas and is a name worth buying for the name. However, since I believe this boat to be their first production style boat, I'm a bit leery of it.

Specs:
Manufacturer: Finngulf Marine
Name: Finngulf 34’
Model: FG34
Manufactured: 1981 - ? (I think 1984)
LOA: 10.43M / 34.23 ft
LWL: 8.0M / 26.25 Ft
Beam: 3.26M / 10.7ft
Height: 1.88m / 6.17ft
Displacement: 4400 kG / 9680 lbs
Keel weight: 2100 kG / 4620 lbs
Sail Area: 52 m2 / 170.6 ft
LYS: 1.15
Designer: Hakan Södergren
Rigging: 7/8- swept fractional spreaders throughout mast
Berths: 6
Specs Found Here:

Fitting: To the port side of the exit stairway is a forward-facing L-shaped galley with stove, oven and double sinks. Aft of the galley is double bunk. To starboard of the exit stairway is a toilet. The Salon consists of two longitudinal sofas. Between the salon and The forepeak is a cupboard on each side.

Model Variations: Two - Racing / Cruising
The racing variation is notably lighter and weighs in 1 ton lighter than the cruiser equipped FG34.

History: Stig Nordblad who is the founder of Finngulf, story really began in 1981 in Finland when he entered the 3 / 4 Ton World Cup with his newly designed FG34. The Designer was Hakan Södergren created a truly unique racing boat from fiberglass and foam core. The vessel is fitted with aluminum bulkheads that are welded to a tube chassis that runs throughout the hulls interior. The boat placed very well and was considered to be the fastest Scandinavian vessel of the race. Therafter a more family oriented patters of 34 came into production. Finngulf Marin Ky was founded in December of 1980. Finngulf, in the beginning was just a sales company and production was handled by Krister & Partners Kirkkonummi. By 1981, Fingulf had started to produce their own boats and have developed into the company they are today. Within three years, the FG34 was succeeded by the FG36 which was in production for over 10 years, but is also discontinued.

Thanks for your help!
DistortedAxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 12:35   #2

Anyone?
DistortedAxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 12:44   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Be patient, DA. Often, as the weekend approaches and people leave their keyboards and head outdoors, the volume of traffic at CF tapers off. By the end of the weekend, it will start building up again. If there is anyone on this board who can offer some guidance on the FG 34, I'm sure they will do so - but it could take a little while.

Hang in there.

TaoJones
Old 26-06-2009, 13:02   #4

Boat: Dufour 35
Enjoy a bit of "swenglish" through
Google Translate
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 13:18   #5

Boat: Sweden Yachts 34
Finngulf remembered

Hi there. I sailed one of these while I was living in England in the 90s. I remember it as an excellent sailing boat. It was extremely well balanced and quite fast. It's always been on my list of desirable boats (up there with Sweden Yachts, Baltic, Najad). Finngulfs are as well built as anything else that comes out of Scandinavia - ie better than most boats that come out of Europe and the USA. Sodergren is a very good and well respected designer who is famous in Sweden (bit like being famous in Peoria?).

I also sailed a version of the Finngulf 34 that was built by Hanse Yachts after they bought the molds. That was not so nicely fitted out and had lee helm, I think because the rig had been messed with to get a self tacking jib on it.

Hope this helps.
timberboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 19:33   #6

I currently own the racing version of the 1981 FG34. She is a sweet boat. I appreciate the above info. it is so hard to find info on this hull and so far this is the most informative info I have found. Any more info would be great.

I recently bought a cruiser with a shoal keel because I live on Marco Island Florida where the average depth is 3-5 feet. Marco is last inhabited area before the everglades and 10,000 islands. Key west is exactly 90 miles due South.

I recently put her up for sale, because of my new boat as well it is hard to get crew together to sail her. So, I am looking for a new good home for her. Or partners and crew that are willing to share her financial needs. Most people that come to see her dont even know what they are looking at or where the microwave would go?!

Happy sailing
sailsdepartment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 01:07   #7

Re: Finngulf 34 by Hakan Södergren

Saw this old post and decided to post a picture of "Alien" finngulf 34 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1415956016.285909.jpg
Views:	1998
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	91612

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jmurray109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 03:56   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

A decent boat from an excellent designer. With a clear racing tooth (in the 80'ies style). Not best choice for an offshore boat but great weekend / bay / coastal racer / cruisier.

Hakan is a sailor and a designer. He always drew boats that sailed well but he drew them in a couple of modalities. Make sure you get what you want (intended use).

Give her a general check as with any boat. Try to learn if and how hard she was raced. Interior / finish should be very fine too. Build quality is well above her peer group.

I would not expect any major issues unless there was ever any damage.

His newest design got raving reviews in Scandinavia.

Keep your eyes open for any pitfalls, as with any old boat.

Otherwise an excellent boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray109 View Post
Saw this old post and decided to post a picture of "Alien" finngulf 34 Attachment 91612

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

This one is up for sale down in La Paz, México. $25 000 usd
scoker1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:01   #10

had a sirenna 38 sodergren design. hell of a boat nothing but fast and easily balanced
lars is offline   Reply With Quote