Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 22:25   #31

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: Finding A No Wood Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I think crazyoldboatguy was implying every boat comes with wood (spam) and if you ask for a boat with no wood they'll build you one with less wood. My interpetation, but then I am also a notsooldcrazyboatguy so I could be wrong.
Who doesn't love a Monty Python reference?

goat

Just to clarify - I started hearing the skit in my head when I read the OPs first comment and then reading all the "well, here's a boat with not much wood in it" and "what's wrong with wood?" and wood is nice inside".

Hey, the guy wants a boat without any wood in it. Not a boat with a bit of wood - one W/O ANY wood in it.

If you spend a "boatload" of money on your boat, shouldn't you get what you want?

And then there's me. I have a boat that is ALL WOOD. ("Well, we've got spam spam spam eggs and spam"). Now THAT is crazy.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:39   #32

Boat: TBD

The single biggest problem with posting on forums like these is that you can't read "intent", sort of like you can't get voice inflection when texting, so two sentences that are completely the same grammar and spelling wise could mean totally different things.

Who knew?
Old 11-07-2015, 17:19   #33

just get a chlox bottle, put some aluminum foil inside, pour in 2oz muriatic acic and watch it swell- when it gets boat size remove cap-voila no wood inside
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 11:08   #34
lyl

https://www.italiayachts.com/en/italia-9-98be/
https://www.italiayachts.com/en/italia-11-98be/

lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 11:18   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Welcome to CF.

So why did you recommend these make of yachts. Do you work for them or own one? What qualities for cruising do you think they have to make them stand out.

Your not trying to sneak an advert into the forum are you?

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 11:48   #36
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF.

So why did you recommend these make of yachts. Do you work for them or own one? What qualities for cruising do you think they have to make them stand out.

Your not trying to sneak an advert into the forum are you?

Pete

I researched the OP's question myself once, and came across these sailboats. I have no idea about how good or bad they are. This comment is not a recommendation. No, I don't work for them. No, I don't own one. The OP asked for minimum woodwork interior in monohulls, and I think these monohulls have minimum woodwork inside. No, I am not trying to sneak an advert into the forum.

Old 24-06-2021, 13:34   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
I know the villagers with torches and pitchforks will likely come out of the woodwork (pun intended) to burn this heretic, but I've looked and looked and just am curious if there are boats out there between say 38' and 45' that are not loaded with wood inside? I've searched "no wood", "woodless", etc... to no avail.

I see a good many with no discernible wood on the exterior, neither deck nor cockpit, but are there any you know of without the wood loaded interior?
You might check Endeavour yachts. I was invited aboard a 36ft power cat. The entire interior was a plastic venire. Impressive no wood to maintain and easily kept clean.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 14:38   #38

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

My 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite catamaran has no wood. It has a veneer interior and flooring that looks like wood, but its synthetic. We mop floors with water and wipe down tables with water and cleaner. I dont ever want to varnish again. Nor deal with wood rot. (Core is foam)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 08:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
My 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite catamaran has no wood. It has a veneer interior and flooring that looks like wood, but its synthetic. We mop floors with water and wipe down tables with water and cleaner. I dont ever want to varnish again. Nor deal with wood rot. (Core is foam)
Oops, sorry. I just realize i posted in monohulls thread. Feel free to delete.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 15:35   #40
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Oops, sorry. I just realize i posted in monohulls thread. Feel free to delete.
Your boat is a great boat. Could I ask how much you paid for her? And what are your thoughts so far?
Thanks.
Old 26-06-2021, 21:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyl View Post
Your boat is a great boat. Could I ask how much you paid for her? And what are your thoughts so far?
Thanks.
Delivered to Miami, duty paid, but excluding Texas sales tax, about $440k. This is our second Seawind - we owned a 2002 Seawind 1000 from 2006 to 2018. The 1160 Lite is basically the 1000 on steroids. We did want a light boat, knowing what weight does to performance. We didn't want diesel engines, generator, and a bunch of wood interior (which you can still get on the Deluxe). Twin 25 hp Yamaha HT outboards, 840 watts solar, propane system, Spectra DC watermaker, refrig and separate freezer, a single large head with separate glass shower stall, albeit we also have full boat air con for marina or Honda 2200. We are racers by background, and like how well the boat sails - given that it's not stripped out amenities. We have racing sails - Dimension Polyant Lite Skin GPL (carbon), and an oversized square top main, and a sprit and asymmetric for downwind. The larger main means we reef a bit earlier than a stock boat, but we are also sailing nicely in 8 knots of wind instead of motoring. Overall very happy with the boat. It's fun to day sail, very maneuverable on and off the dock with the twin engines, but also was very comfortable for the four months we had her in the Bahamas.

Although there is no real wood, Seawind used a vinyl sheet that looks like wood. I like it because you can wipe everything down with water, it doesn't nick like wood, nor have to be varnished. I also understand it's not for everyone. Here are some pics of the interior.

And of course the thing that really sets Seawind apart is the tri-fold door that stores in the ceiling of the hard top, and yields a continuous saloon thru cockpit open area when sailing and at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0334.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	241083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0371.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	241084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0375.jpg