Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 22:18   #211

Re: Fibreglass vs Aluminium Impact Strength

As far as plausible scenarios go:

If you visualise someone cutting your boat into peggy squares and attacking those squares individually with a pickaxe, they'll have a bit more trouble cutting an alu hull up, but from then on, it appears than aluminium might put up less of a fight than fibreglass. If you put yourself in their place, that is ...

Now THAT's what I call considerate.

Reverting for a moment to the topic under discussion:

One abrasion scenario for which metal boats are conventionally preferred is navigating (or long term mooring) in floating ice.

Fibreglass boats tend to develop a broad grin, in inverse proportion to their owners' ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48   #212

Is aluminum thought to cause Alzheimer's Disease? Just saying' : popcorn:
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21   #213

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I forget
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23   #214

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Is aluminum thought to cause Alzheimer's Disease? Just saying' : popcorn:

I can't remember.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04   #215

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I can't remember.

Steve
What was the question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41   #216

Boat: Tartan 40

Clearly steel is just a recipe for a sunken boat...

Photos Reveal Damage to Corvus J Following Fatal North Sea Collision, Update With AIS Data | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42   #217

Boat: Tartan 40

This is one that sank within 15 minutes
Car Carrier Sinks Near Rotterdam After Collision, Casualties Reported – UPDATE | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 14:07   #218

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

I guess this means I need to find a piece of steel to attack. And ferrocement, plywood, paper mache, stainless steel, balsa core, Kevlar, seal skin, bamboo, hypalon, titanium, carvel planking, copper nickle, polypropylene..............

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:33   #219
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I guess this means I need to find a piece of steel to attack. And ferrocement, plywood, paper mache, stainless steel, balsa core, Kevlar, seal skin, bamboo, hypalon, titanium, carvel planking, copper nickle, polypropylene..............

Steve

Just get a job in a boatyard. You'll end up working with most of those eventually.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 21:37   #220
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

I'm curious about your laminate thickness numbers, Minaret. Looking back at the damaged Bene 47 whose picture I attached in post 89, the layup in the bow sections where the failure occurred was much less than the 3/4 inch you mention as typical at the sheer line. I wasn't able to measure it, and the ragged fracture may have been deceiving, but it appeared to be on the order of 1/4 inch in this highly stressed area... certainly less than 1/2 inch.

Would it be unreasonable to expect that this was common practice in the manufacture of modern production boats of the French design school?

Cheers,

Jim

Certainly scantlings will vary dramatically from builder to builder. And of course thickness is just one factor to consider, laminate schedule and resin ratio are just as important. But just for your edification I thought I'd post a little preview of the upcoming pics from my present refit, so you can see I'm not just pulling numbers out of thin air here. These are pics of my boat with the thru hulls removed, taken today. The thinnest area I could find was a pair of thru hulls on either side of the bow fairly close to the waterline. The side which has already been peeled was 15/16ths, the unpeeled side was 1". The thickest area which I have a thru hull in is still quite a ways from the turn of the bilge, I'd say about 4'. It reads right on 1 1/2" on the caliper. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2" at the turn of the bilge.

Wasn't trying to ignore you Jim, just taking my time getting the photo evidence. The original thru hulls were all heavily glassed in and were a real bear to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout 2012 240.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	50988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout 2012 241.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	50989  

Name:	Haulout 2012 242.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	50990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout 2012 243.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	50991  

Name:	Haulout 2012 244.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	50992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout 2012 245.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	50993  

Old 09-12-2012, 22:28   #221

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Certainly scantlings will vary dramatically from builder to builder. And of course thickness is just one factor to consider, laminate schedule and resin ratio are just as important. But just for your edification I thought I'd post a little preview of the upcoming pics from my present refit, so you can see I'm not just pulling numbers out of thin air here. These are pics of my boat with the thru hulls removed, taken today. The thinnest area I could find was a pair of thru hulls on either side of the bow fairly close to the waterline. The side which has already been peeled was 15/16ths, the unpeeled side was 1". The thickest area which I have a thru hull in is still quite a ways from the turn of the bilge, I'd say about 4'. It reads right on 1 1/2" on the caliper. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2" at the turn of the bilge.

Wasn't trying to ignore you Jim, just taking my time getting the photo evidence. The original thru hulls were all heavily glassed in and were a real bear to remove.
Well, that is indeed thick fibreglass!! Just out of curiosity, can you tell what sort of glass was used? As in, CSM, rovings or whatever...?

But, what I was getting at was the difference between layups like yours and the current crop of (especially) French production boats. There is endless discussion about the strength of these boats, some saying that modern engineering trumps massiveness while others claim that thick is the essential thing. To me, the broken Beneteau bow was shockingly thin, and the damage showed that at least in this case the structure was not all that forgiving of misuse. I don't know the gory details of the collision (speed or angle of impact) but the results were pretty devastating.

Anyhow, thanks for the pix... I wouldn't be worrying about longevity of that hull!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-12-2012, 23:58   #222
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, that is indeed thick fibreglass!! Just out of curiosity, can you tell what sort of glass was used? As in, CSM, rovings or whatever...?

Yes, it's easy to tell. This is a fairly typical layup for a boat in my size range with a solid hull. It's about a 1/4" of chop matt followed by alternating rovings and matt hand laminated. The glass stringers and frames are 3/4" thick as well.

But, what I was getting at was the difference between layups like yours and the current crop of (especially) French production boats. There is endless discussion about the strength of these boats, some saying that modern engineering trumps massiveness while others claim that thick is the essential thing. To me, the broken Beneteau bow was shockingly thin, and the damage showed that at least in this case the structure was not all that forgiving of misuse. I don't know the gory details of the collision (speed or angle of impact) but the results were pretty devastating.

I don't want to indulge in too much Beneteau bashing here. Suffice it to say that in the past I have not been impressed by their construction. Caveat emptor and all that.

Anyhow, thanks for the pix... I wouldn't be worrying about longevity of that hull!

Cheers,

Jim

Happy to share!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:40   #223

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I wish my Hulls were as thick as that, Minaret, I might not have got holed so easy,

My hulls are about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch thick, as per Piccys,

The stiffeners that ran between the two bulkheads was 3 pieces of pine in each side totally glassed in, 3 X 2 inches thick,, not one piece, which it should have been for a stiffener,

But you cant see that when its buried beneath fibreglass, and I wasnt going to pull my thru hulls out just to measure the thickness of the material,

My thru hulls were straight under the boat, where it sat on the sand, recipe for disaster, They are being moved to safer places, like transom mounts, or in boxes on the side that can be closed off so they can be water tite if they fail,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boat Wreck Nov 2011 060.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	50997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Wreck Nov 2011 076.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	50998  

Name:	Boat Wreck Nov 2011 069.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	50999  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56   #224

Mr B - Sorry, this is a thread about fibreglass. All I see there is resin...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47   #225
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Mr B - Sorry, this is a thread about fibreglass. All I see there is resin...
I wasn't gonna say it, but I sure wanted to. That is one rich layup!