Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 11:53   #1

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30
Farymann A30 Marine diesel

What are your thought's of this engine I want to replace the Gas Volvo 10hp that was OEM for my San Juan 30 What are your thoughts will it power my Vessel Ok will it work. Has anyone had one are has one Please give your thought's On part cost and what I should look for will the Exhaust hook up ok I know very little of this engine but found a great deal and the difference in fuel consumption will be quite a bit of a difference. Please I look forward to all the input My Fellow Cruisers could give me Thank you Chevy
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:20   #2

Re: Farymann A30 Marine diesel

We'll got the engine it has 33 hrs on it not even broke in yet. So now that I have it will I have to change the Strut Bearings and the cutlass also what will I need to make sure I have proper adjustment from Tran's to Prop Shaft Any Suggestions
Old 27-11-2015, 21:08   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Well, now you've gone and done it?

I had one in a Cal 2-27 displacing 7500 lbs. It was dead on arrival 1999. We put $3k into it at the west coast Farymann distributor and received a new engine that we put about 250 hours on over the course of 13 years. I believe it is the best auxiliary for this size vessel. The women in my life did not share that view .

The A30 is a marinized version of an air cooled single cylinder diesel imported by Briggs and Stratton. In its air cooled configuration it would power the generators that ran the roadside construction informational signage before the solar/battery units displaced them about 5 years ago. Most of these units would get 8 to 10k hours on them before any type of maintenance was performed.

They are nearly indestructible. They also do not require electrical power. They can be started with a hand crank and one compression stroke. Also, no oil filters as there Is'nt an oil pump, totally splash lubes.

Now the minuses:

- it is a single cylinder with no provisions for vibration dampening. At idle, it will oscillate nearly one inch transversely. The racket it makes drives the unknowing crazy. You will need to research the three point mount configuration and the recommended rubber stiffness employed.

- cooling. Marinized, it is raw water cooled , no heat exchanger. The fins of the air cooled version are encased in a fiberglass or aluminum sleeve that is sealed top and bottom by o-rings. This seal is usually compromised by corrosion and will leak. It is not a head gasket leak, as it is sometimes diagnosed. It is unsightly and can cause havoc if it drips onto the starter motor. solenoid. I would try to fog the cylinder after each use with wd40.

- Shaft flex coupler. - do not use the Farymann flex coupler. It does not fail safe. With the aforementioned vibration, a flex coupler is needed. I can get you the model number of the one we replaced, about $500.

- Be sure to change the shaft log as the vibration will certainly tax the 30 year old butyl.

If you have any questions send a PM.

Once you understand some of the idiosyncrasies, I think you will enjoy the simplicity, economies and reliability . Ours was so fuel efficient, I downsized the tank so I would have to refuel at least once a year.

John

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 14:08   #4

Thank You John,
Well it is Fresh water cooled and has a 55amp alt and 2 additional pumps in a box. I haven't really had time to go thru it all. Waiting for the weather to warm up a bit then I'll have it installed any good recommendations where to have it done. I have all the receipts from the last owner he bought it new. I'm glad you told me about the Vibration I could always mount it on floating mounts with like a center bearing shaft mount to keep prop shaft always strait I think I could fix out something. Look forward to more Info and any help in the Future.
Thank You Jack

Tags
diesel, farymann, marine