Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 15:29   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind
Fantasia 35

I have an Allied Seawind Sloop at present. I am used to heavy displacement sailboats. It is time to go after a bit more room in the cabin for creature comfort for my spouse. The Fanatasia 35 has a remarkable interior but I am wondering on performance both under sail and motor. I am a bit concerned with the high freeboard and the relative small engine size relative to the displacement most Fantasia's have a Yanmar30.

any advice from those familiar with The Fantasia 35 woud be most appreciated.

thanks
dansinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:51   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Fantasia 35

Have you tried this link?
http://http://www.fantasia35.com/index.htm
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:54   #3

Yes I have seen the Fantasia Web site. Many of the links do not work any longer. I did see a sailing performance chart that the factory provided.
Old 12-03-2014, 13:07   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I was considering buying one about 10 years ago. Center cockpit, cutter rigged, with a wheel. They were highly regarded as liveaboards but were considered very slow even by their owners. Can't remember any other comments on how they sailed. Owners were successfully using them also as Water boats">blue water boats. Never did sail the one I was thinking of buying.

I ended up with a Rafiki 37. Allegedly it sails much better but I really liked the layout down below more in the Fantasia. The Fantasia has that nice rear berth and workshop because of the center cockpit.

It sure is hard deciding what to spend your hard earned money on and no two people seem to have the same criteria for a good boat.

Good luck.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 13:30   #5

Thanks for the response. The cabin design on the Fantasia is truly amazing. From the data I can find it does look slower than my Allied Seawind Sloop on all points of sail except a beam reach. This would be acceptable if it was good under power but that does not look good either. I really like the boat otherwise. Nauticat 33 gives similar large interior space but like wise may not be a good performer under sail but should do well with the big Ley man under power.
Nice to have choices as you say wish it was simpler to know what you are buying before plunking down the cash!
Old 29-04-2014, 12:31   #6

Boat: Tung Hwa Fantasia 35

Hi,

I have owned a 1980 Fantasia 35 MKII for six years.

It motors at 6+ knots in calm conditions at 1800 rpm rpm and sails well on all points of sail up to 45 degrees into the wind.

I recently bought a bigger boat so I am selling my fantasia 35.

You can see the ad at www.boats.com.

The boat is a joy to sail, has the most sea kindly motion of any boat
I have ever sailed and performs very well for it's weight. It's built rock solid, no flexing or creaking when heeling or bashing waves in heavy weather.

If I was single I would not be selling it, but it gets tight for a family of four plus mother in law sometimes. And I get compliments on the boat at every dock I approach.

Regards,

Jules Robinson
305-904-4321
capjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:04   #7

Boat: Tung Hwa Fantasia 35

you can also follow Terry Kotas on his blog as he cruises in his Fantasia 35, and he can also answer your questions;

The Black Hole | CETUS TALES
capjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 18:05   #8

I have a Fantasia 35. Excellent boat. Lived aboard full time through Toronto winter. Comments about her not being fast are truish. She's not as fast as a C&C of similar water line length, but it doesn't take all that much wind to move her at hull speed, at which point almost all monhulls move at the same speed.
However, I can leave out a lot more canvas in strong winds, and still be sailing comfortably and dry when lighter boats are adopting tactics to compensate for weather concerns. So, slow in light winds yes. And she points poorly too.
I stay out of the rudder vs wheel debates because a Fantasia 35 hardly needs either, she just goes straight. I can be sailing along and feel the need for some peanuts, go down below, rummage through my spacious pantry, find my peanuts, come back on deck and still not bother with the wheel.
As for the motor I have a Perkins 4-108, which will push her to hull speed no problem.
Negatives about the boat?
-small cockpit and hatch (only negatives when your not in bad weather)
-steep companionway, don't fall down it or you might want a high angle rescue team.
-turns slowly (plan your dockings)
-stops slowly
-no separate shower
Positives
-very spacious for a 35
-built like a brick portapotty (24000 lbs)
-beautiful teak interiors and brass every where
-very sea kindly
-very sea worthy
-beautiful teak decks
-a work shop! standard with a bench vice! this is in addition to the two staterooms. Did I mention spacious?
-high quality base materials, brass sea cocks, 3/4" glass at the turn of the bilge
-lots of windows, but they are small enough they aren't going to let the ocean inside your boat
Would I recommend this boat to a friend? No I want them all for myself!
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:10   #9

Boat: Westsail 32

This boat: 1976 Ta Yang Fantasia sailboat for sale in Oregon
has appeared on my radar and I was wondering what people thought purely based on the small selection of photos, the information, and the price.

I'm looking for a liveaboard, bluewater capable cruiser, with first destinations set on the south pacific. I've been in the 32'-37' market, and this seems like a pretty good deal for such a heavy, sturdy boat.

It does appear to have a wooden mast and boom though, and I'm curious to what additional concerns I should have as compared to aluminum.

Edit: Now I'm a bit confused, because I think I've found the same boat here: http://justsailboats.com/sailboats/d...egon-USA-11946, but for a different price (more photos though).
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:36   #10

No interior photos? It's hard to tell much from these photos. Shes on her second engine which is a good thing. She's had her mark 1 steering upgraded to mark 2 which is also a good thing. I'd imagine those wooden spars are getting pretty old.

The price is very good. You could probably pick her up for low 20's. You would be very hard pressed to get more boat for the money.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:48   #11

Check the second link I added after I edited the post -- apparently he's asking for more $$ these days. What would new/used/compatible replacement spars cost me?

If I get her in the low 20s I'd be willing to to put close to 100% of the paying price into a refit. In reality though, I don't think I could get her in the low 20s with the current asking price of 31K, unless there was something very wrong.
Old 30-06-2015, 14:42   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35

This is hull #16. Major questions in my mind is why no photos of the engine and the rudder mod. Also, the fwd and aft hatches are both covered with tarps. I had to make new hatches for Feeling Good. The windvane is not functional. In general, the inside doesn't look all that well cared for. There looks to be a mod to the icebox area.

I guess my biggest concern is the quality of the workmanship in doing the Mark II steering mod. IIRC, that was considered to be a pretty tricky/risky mod.

And, of course the mast and rigging needs a good looking at.

By all means check Felicity out and let us know how it all works out.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 15:00   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I had a friend who bought one, and after a year or two a chainplate broke, primarily because they were internally mounted and hidden behind cabinetry which nobody ever bothered to remove to find the corrosion developing.
If you want it, have the chainplates inspected.
Aside from that, no problems that I'm aware of.
Old 30-06-2015, 17:11   #14

I agree that the interior will need some tender love and care, but it doesn't seem to be too bad (from the photos). For a good price, interior aesthetics aren't a major concern of mine, as those are tasks I can tackle, and probably won't compromise the integrity of the boat in the process.

The other things you mentioned are more important to me, and I'll have to ask more questions and get a closer look.

I imagine a hull out is part of a full inspection, and in doing such, we'll be able to see the rudder configuration and the quality of the workmanship?

This Make/Model wasn't really on my watch-list, but if I can get it for the 26K figure, it's at least worth a look.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:54   #15

I just found this video of the boat from someone who looked at her back in 2013:

From the video, it sounds like there's a few leaks that need to be addressing, and I'm guessing the chain plates will need to be replaced, but it's really hard to tell. I'm looking at the boat for myself this weekend, and I've been reading Don Casey's book(s).

What do you "experts" think from the video? One thing that has be pessimistic is how long it's been on the market. Is this normal?

Tags
Asia