Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 14:07   #31
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: Family of 4+2 on a Wauquiez Amphitrite

Congrats on the purchase. My family has had a few Wauquiez models and absolutely loved them.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 16:56   #32

We looked at her about 5 months ago. Nice boat, needs a few things but all in all nice. They said the owner was ready to sell so I hope you got her bought for a good price!

Mike R
Arc En Ciel II
Peterson Formosa 46
Maple Bay Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:21   #33

Boat: Taswell 49

Sorry to not have chimed in sooner haven't been on the forum much over the past 3 years. Our family of 4 live aboard our Amphitrite now for just over 3 years. Based in the BVI for past 2 years but still actively cruising. Weve been through pretty much every system on the boat so feel free to message with any specifics. We very much still adore the boat. Just sailed 500 miles offshore to spend a week in Dominica. She is a lovely sea boat and we haven't found her light air performance to be an issue however we cruise the Caribbean where we typically have breeze. Were saving our pennies to replace the sails this fall. We sailed originally from Annapolis to the BVI in 2012, spent 2012-2013 cruising eastern caribbean as far south as Grenada. Settled in the BVI working and kids just transitioning into local schools. Daughter (10) has V-berth, son (12) walk through cabin. We also travel with a cat and 2 Optimist dinghies as kids are active racing here. Best of luck with your new boat and as mentioned don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of help.
Old 18-08-2015, 11:36   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Every time I spot an Amphitrite I pause and look and I find I would like one too.

There are two versions, one is proper pilot house.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:51   #35

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

We are up in Anacortes getting the rig redone, the main sail shortened at the top about 10 in with the corresponding boom lift. We had the rudder rebuilt (delamed), another bilge pump put in, straightened out the 12v, etc, etc. last Friday the family moved aboard in Edmonds, and the trip North was benign. So now the unpacking begins, slowly the cabins are being de cluttered, and we add more things to the list.

Unfortunately when having the fuel tank cleaned out, large chunks of painted epoxy were flaking off the inside of the tank (FRP). After moving the boat, we found a sheen of fuel in the dry bilge under the tank. Hopefully we didn't uncover a prior fix...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 00:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Sorry to not have chimed in sooner haven't been on the forum much over the past 3 years. Our family of 4 live aboard our Amphitrite now for just over 3 years. Based in the BVI for past 2 years but still actively cruising. Weve been through pretty much every system on the boat so feel free to message with any specifics. We very much still adore the boat. Just sailed 500 miles offshore to spend a week in Dominica. She is a lovely sea boat and we haven't found her light air performance to be an issue however we cruise the Caribbean where we typically have breeze. Were saving our pennies to replace the sails this fall. We sailed originally from Annapolis to the BVI in 2012, spent 2012-2013 cruising eastern caribbean as far south as Grenada. Settled in the BVI working and kids just transitioning into local schools. Daughter (10) has V-berth, son (12) walk through cabin. We also travel with a cat and 2 Optimist dinghies as kids are active racing here. Best of luck with your new boat and as mentioned don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of help.
Welcome back Demeter
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 23:35   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Found this old thread while searching for info on Amphitrite. Did any of you who owned one have issues with osmosis? Also, which version do you have - ketch or sloop? Opinions on which is better?
Manana5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana5 View Post
Found this old thread while searching for info on Amphitrite. Did any of you who owned one have issues with osmosis? Also, which version do you have - ketch or sloop? Opinions on which is better?
Both ketch and sloop has advantages and disadvantages.

+ketch:
lighter/smaller sails
backup, if you loose your main mast

-ketch:
weaker sailing performance, especially downwind
double costs on rig maintenance
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana5 View Post
I've not heard of any osmosis issues out of the ordinary with Wauquiez. I think any boat could get it though. But I have a romance with Wauquiez boats so usually look at them when I see them in the yard etc. I dont remember seeing one with blister issues.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51   #40

Boat: Victoire 1270

Never mind, saw too late it was an older topic :/
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:16   #41

Boat: Taswell 49

The Amphitrite only came as a ketch. The Amphora which is smaller came as both sloop and ketch. I have seen some Amphitrites that had osmosis problems and we have had some minor blisters on ours but nothing that has ever penetrated the laminate. Only gel Cote blisters. Some owners have had the gel Cote removed below the waterline and then applied a new barrier coat but that’s a lot of work and not normally required except in the worst cases. As with any 30+ year old fiberglass boats you can expect to see these problems but as I said I’ve not seen them beyond gel Cote only.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:23   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
The Amphitrite only came as a ketch. The Amphora which is smaller came as both sloop and ketch.
I saw this listing which seems to be a sloop, no?

And I was looking at another one (a ketch) which said the boat has just undergone osmosis treatment, that's why I wondered if it's a common problem.
Old 10-02-2019, 15:34   #43

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

The Amphitrite in question is on my dock. No for sale sign to be seen.

As far as the hull quality/blisters. . .my last haul out, the hull measured 5% with the moisture device despite 25 yrs of being in the water.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 17:06   #44

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

OP here.

We had gel coat blisters. When we ground down to the laminate in a test section, it looked fine, no issues. So we ground down the entire thing and epoxy coated.

Edit - see our blog for pictures and more info on this topic - http://sailingmango.com/post/boat-repair-in-mazatlan

Everyone says a ketch sails worse than a sloop. I’m sure they are right. I have never sailed a sloop the same size as our boat, but I never complained about our boats performance - half wind speed without the main on most points of sail, notably downwind. Jib and jigger is seductively easy.

Mango is definitely for sale (she is on yachtworld), I will have to hit up our broker for a proper sign! Thanks for the reminder, Caelestis. If you see us on the boat, stop by and say hi!

-Scott
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 23:41   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
The Amphitrite in question is on my dock. No for sale sign to be seen.
Which boat are you referring to? The one I posted just above is in Lefkas, Greece and you seem to be located in the US?

Tags
family