Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58   #1

Fair price for a MacGregor 26X?

I have a lead on a 2000 MacGregor 26X. It has been sitting basically unused for 20 years. He claims it is in good condition, but who knows. What would be a fair price?
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 14:57   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Fair price for a MacGregor 26X?

Boats sitting around aren’t like fine wines getting better with age. I’ve got nothing else for you
Old 09-05-2020, 19:11   #3

For sure. It does look clean though. I'm just wondering as he is selling for 17k almost. That is certainly outrageous. But he is open to any reasonable offers so I'm trying to compare prices. Yachtworld isn't really trustworthy either.
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:39   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

According to this article MacGregor 26 they were going for ten grand in 2012. Do you want a sailboat or a powerboat is the big question.
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:28   #5

Boat: Seaward 25

Check out sailingtexas.com - lots of those on there to compare to.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:48   #6

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

There is a reason boats like this sit there for decades. They are kludgy, inefficient powerboats and they are not fun to try to sail.

If you are experienced and know what you are getting, go ahead.

If you are new to sailing, consider getting a boat that sails well.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:04   #7

Not to be funny but how has it been sitting? If it's been stored in a temperature controlled environment that would be much better than sitting in the elements even if it is covered. Does the boat have a outboard included? If it does that will take some work to get back into the water. Personally for me I'd rather have a boat that's been used and enjoyed and know what's going on with it than a boat that's been dry for 20 years. Best of luck
Derek010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:22   #8

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

I shopped for quite some time before I bought mine. Prices ran around $10,000 with a low of around $6,000 or $7,000 depending on condition. I believe my price on my 96 wound up being about $6,000. That was about 1 year ago and sold in Florida.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm007 View Post
I have a lead on a 2000 MacGregor 26X. It has been sitting basically unused for 20 years. He claims it is in good condition, but who knows. What would be a fair price?
We (and you) need more info. Has it truly been out of the water for 20 years? That would make it almost brand new. Or has it been used sporadically? How was it stored: engine properly fogged, boat tarped, stored indoors or out? You'll probably need a new battery and 4 new trailer tires. What make and size of engine? Other equipment? Dodger and bimini? Is the seller claiming that everything is good, or is it an as-is deal?

If it was lightly used and properly stored, $17k would be a good deal. Used Macs of the same age sometimes sell for that, if they're in good condition and well-equipped. They remain popular for their interior space and go-anywhere nature, though they're less than ideal sailboats. My friend has one. It's not for me, but we would certainly borrow one to spend a week doing a canal system, raising the mast whenever it lets out onto a decent lake.

On a stored Mac M or X, the biggest risk is probably the engine. Second biggest would be damage - possibly a reason the boat has not been used in 20 years.

Will the owner permit a survey, mechanical inspection and sea trial? If it passes all that, it's probably worth $17k. If not, still bring an outboard mechanic with you, give the boat a good lookover and offer maybe $10k?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:39   #10

Hi All, CaptVR here.
There are so many variables, you cannot get an answer to your question without much more info.
I personally own a 1997 26X, All new up graded 5/32" rigging. All new running rigging. 2 Year old Evinrude 40 E-tec, All new pedestal, with all new electronics and auto pilot. All new galley with $1000. frig freezer, the list goes on. Total refit this last year, all SS below water line made new with 316. I have $20 thou in it much less the cost of it 5 years ago. I like having a sail boat and power boat combined, it is one hell of a hoot!!! I owned a 60' schooner, drew 7" of water to just float and dozens of power boats over the years. I'm now in my 70's, I love having it on the trailer and in a day, I'm on the Chesapeake. Go to West Palm Beach, I'm in the Bahama's in 2-3 hours motoring, then I sail the family Islands on the banks. I see a storm coming, drop sails, crank engine and outrun any storm. On the trailer, I have no dockage bill. I want to work on the boat, I step out the back door. The flexibility is fantastic. I would not sell mine for under $30,000.
Realistically in this day and age, you will not find one in decent shape with a newer engine for under about $13-$16K, average, more than they sold for new. Looking, you can find a good number for $8-$10K but needing, sails, engine, rigging, etc. At least one or two high dollar items to put them in good condition.
They have one cult following, they consistently bring a higher dollar for comparable, Irwin, Morgan, Hunters.
With my rigging and sail upgrades, she sails or out sails boats that I just mentioned. She draws 12"s board up. She motors, top end 20 knots with a 40hp, some people say they do not motor well, A 26' boat, doing 20 knt's on 40hp is doing pretty damn good. Pulls my grand kids on ski's. For these +'s, you do have to take a number of precautions for safety, but in my surveyors blogs, they have one of the safest records out there, OH, as fit out they are unsinkable. I found most virtually all people that popo them never have been in one, or operated one. Talk to people that have them, most have owned them since new. There have been over 5000 26X's made. You will find them all over the World, US, Australia, Mediterranean, Netherland's, South Africa, check out YouTube, they are used and loved all over the World. Just YouTube search Morgan 26X or M's.
I do know, when I was a surveyor, I use to popo them, listening to a few others, and never seeing one. I finely, reluctantly surveyed one. Mind set from what I heard, I thought the boat would be lacking in all areas. I was a convert after that survey. There built as heavy as those I mentioned above. Even though standard rigging is 1/8" strength wise it would lift the vessel twice it's weight without failure. Handling was as good or better as most other boats I have operated and the versatility is fantastic. Only boat I found that would compare to it is an Odin 820.
Don't know if I helped you or not, I would recommend having a surveyor, survey the boat. But query him first and make sure he is not negative as I was, you need to get an unbiased opinion, and yes were suppose to be, but some times we get a negative set where we should not.
All you folks have a great sail Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret MS
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
There is a reason boats like this sit there for decades. They are kludgy, inefficient powerboats and they are not fun to try to sail.

If you are experienced and know what you are getting, go ahead.

If you are new to sailing, consider getting a boat that sails well.

You know I can take you to any large marina and show you a dozen boats, Irwin, Morgans, Hunters, etc., that have not left there slip in two or more years, I guess these are kludgy boats also. Your comments don't do justice to actuality. You have to remember, Roger designed the rig and sails, so that the shoe sales man could take a boat with little or no experience and sail it, or take the kids skiing. You tell him to get a boat that sails well, all boats are a compromises, some sail good upwind, or down wind, some go to weather well some don't. Others walloo in a quartering sea, some don't. Not a very well put comment on your part.
These boats (Macgregors) don't just sit, they are found all over the world, being used. Search YouTube for Macgregor 26 X or M's, you just might change your mind... Best Regards: Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:38   #12

Boat: Ericson 38

Run Fast?... toy Boat, say 6 times as fast as you can and you might understand. Sorry.
ralph hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 13:06   #13

Boat: O'Day 26

Personally, if you are seriously interested in sailing as opposed to power boating,, I would stay away from the MacGregor 26 irrespective of its condition; just my opinion as I understand your inquiry was with respect to reasonable price,
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 14:55   #14

Boat: Grampian 26

Here's my opinion. There are a few amongst us who truly love the idea of a boat being all things. But they are not all things to all people.

If the OP is truly interested in that boat we should respect his right to experience the ownership of a MacGregor.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 15:47   #15

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
Here's my opinion. There are a few amongst us who truly love the idea of a boat being all things. But they are not all things to all people.

If the OP is truly interested in that boat we should respect his right to experience the ownership of a MacGregor.
Agreed.
But is he is not experienced, we have some obligation to warn him.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor, price