Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 16:15   #16

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Fair price for a MacGregor 26X?

My first "cruiser" was a MacGregor 26X. It's one of the most controversial vessels on the water. I can tell you that my family got many years of enjoyment from it. All the criticisms are valid... the specs are at the limit, it neither sails as good as a pure sailboat or motors as good as a pure motorboat, etc, etc. But if you like the practicality of being able to get home in a hurry, pull kids on an inflatable and, best of all, trailer it to try new bodies of water with about an hour of prep work on either end of the journey, it's a very cool starter boat. After a few years, you'll likely want to decide which side of the sail / power fence you fall, and go for a more pure model of one or the other.

Price-wise, a lot of the value is in the engine. A 50 horsepower 4-stroke can run between $6-10K. I don't know how to assess the engine because you've provided little data, and I'm not sure how outboards fare when sitting idle for 20 years.

I'd offer 8K. See what happens.
Old 10-05-2020, 17:50   #17

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Aside from the motor, which would cost a lot to replace, the boat itself has a few difficult to validate items such as the bilge, which is filled before each sail, and emptied on exit. There is a valve you turn to open/close it, so you should crawl under and see what state that is in, I would guess after all these years the rubber is rotten.
Also there is a swing keel, that you raise/lower with a rope, or cable. That may be rusted through, and could potentially break on first use after all of these years.
Batteries are also a high cost item. Autopilot? What else is included? Check out all the sails for rot, mouse holes etc.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 18:11   #18

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

There is one in Tampa for $3500 but has no engine. Couple of 26Ms for near the asking price of the one you are considering. These are on CL.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 18:14   #19

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

A 26x owning older couple pull into a berth near me last week. They were long term owners and when I got to talking to them about their choice of conveyance they passionately raved and raved about how wonderful their boat was. So while they might not be everyone's cup of tea, they certainly hold a certain appeal to a niche within the boating community.

Having said that, an unused boat is probably a lot worse off than one that has seen regular use. Just something to keep in mind when negotiating price.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 20:12   #20

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
You know I can take you to any large marina and show you a dozen boats, Irwin, Morgans, Hunters, etc., that have not left there slip in two or more years, I guess these are kludgy boats also. Your comments don't do justice to actuality. You have to remember, Roger designed the rig and sails, so that the shoe sales man could take a boat with little or no experience and sail it, or take the kids skiing. You tell him to get a boat that sails well, all boats are a compromises, some sail good upwind, or down wind, some go to weather well some don't. Others walloo in a quartering sea, some don't. Not a very well put comment on your part.

These boats (Macgregors) don't just sit, they are found all over the world, being used. Search YouTube for Macgregor 26 X or M's, you just might change your mind... Best Regards: Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret MS St.Petersburg, Fl.

True but this one hasn’t been used in 20 years, it’s a boat not a tawny port
Old 11-05-2020, 14:28   #21

I know of the compromises with the MacGregor. I used to own a Catalina 22'. I live in the PNW and during the summer when boating is the best, there is no wind. I am also somewhat of a minimalist and I want a boat that can be trailered, sailed, and motored efficiently. There are few options that tick all these boxes. The F27 trimaran is probably what I would buy if it actually motored somewhat decently.

So I am not interested in a general discussion of the merits of the MacGregor per se vs a traditional sailboat. I am more curious about proper pricing and gotchas with these boats. I am also open to alternative suggestions for my use case!

Anyway thanks for the thoughts / guidance all.
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:06   #22

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Depends upon the outboard. But outboards hate sitting more than boats. That boat required a larger outboard than a normal sailboat. 35-50 HP I think. All the value is in the outboard. The boat unfortunately isn't worth much, guessing $3-5k.
Definitely not $17k. I am guessing the motor will need $1500-2000 for repairs. At that price, do you purchase new, maybe.
Let the guy list it for months and give him an offer of $5000. But, there are alot of nice boats that are much better sailboats (Catalina,Pearsons) at that price with smaller manageable 9.9hp motors. slower, yes but more enjoyable.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
That boat required a larger outboard than a normal sailboat. 35-50 HP I think. All the value is in the outboard. The boat unfortunately isn't worth much, guessing $3-5k.

Mac X's and M's don't require a big outboard; you could still push'em with a 9.9 if you want. The point is that they can also handle the bigger engine, giving motorboat-like speed and utility, as well as being a sailboat.

I would say that without motor, a 20 yr old Mac X that was lightly used and properly stored, would still be worth USD$10k or so. Especially if the running rigging and sails were in very good condition.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 13:30   #24

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Perhaps some of the prices mentioned were for the MacGregor 26? Big difference between the 26 and the 26X.
The 26X may not be the best sailboat or the best power boat, but it's a heckuva lotta fun. So how to decide what boat is best?
Here's my solution: many boats:
Morgan OI 41 for offshore cruising
Seaway 23 with 90hp outboard for fishing, pulling kids on toys
Santana 20 for club racing
MacGregor 26X with 50hp outboard for more fun
Hey, I've even got some for sale:
Morgan 34' yawl $12,900
Columbia 27' (bad engine) $500
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 18:15   #25

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
Perhaps some of the prices mentioned were for the MacGregor 26? Big difference between the 26 and the 26X.
The 26X may not be the best sailboat or the best power boat, but it's a heckuva lotta fun. So how to decide what boat is best?
Here's my solution: many boats:
Morgan OI 41 for offshore cruising
Seaway 23 with 90hp outboard for fishing, pulling kids on toys
Santana 20 for club racing
MacGregor 26X with 50hp outboard for more fun
Hey, I've even got some for sale:
Morgan 34' yawl $12,900
Columbia 27' (bad engine) $500
The ones I mentioned were for the 26X and 26M. I own a 26X and agree there can be a big difference in price. Should be noted the lowest priced one I mentioned had no motor
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor, price