Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2022, 12:25   #1

Exposed fiberglass below waterline

I bumped a reef with my keel in my Catalina 30. I got lucky in that the damage appears minimal. My primary concern is the impact exposed the filler and/or glass in a few areas over about a foots distance on the edge of the keel, i.e. removed all the paint.

How worried should I be about water saturation into the keel? Any suggestions such as underwater epoxy to stem off a haulout for perhaps another year?

*please see attached photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR1201_1668450435489_423765280378240(1).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	267453  
Ryan R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 19:06   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Exposed fiberglass below waterline

If you haven’t broken through the gelcoat it’s not a big deal but it would be best to do a short haul to coat the area with barrier coat and antifouling. Perhaps you can dry out against a wall or careen between tides to get this done. You have not indicated your location.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 23:27   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Does not your Catalina 30 have either a cast iron or lead keel? If so, shouldn't be any glass on its outside... just filler, primer and paint.

Jim
Old 14-11-2022, 23:55   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Could be a cast keel with a few layers of cloth over. If you are concerned about it, you could slather a thin could of underwater epoxy on it.
P.S. ...welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 23:58   #5

I am located in Honolulu. There are no real options but a haulout unless I can do something in the water.

The boat is a 1979 Catalina 30 Mark 1. My understanding is it is a lead keel. Interesting that you think it is all filler from the lead to the paint. I guess that allows it to give easier in collision situations like this?

It has been over two years since I painted it last so I am inclined to go ahead and schedule a haulout. It typically takes three months to get pulled here.

Any thoughts on if this exposed filler is going to be a much bigger problem by then?
Old 15-11-2022, 00:34   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ryan, IIRC there is nothing but (maybe) some filler to smooth out the casting and then primer and then paint. So, no worry at all about water intrusion, and a delay of a few months will not lead to perdition.

Jim
Old 15-11-2022, 02:32   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You don’t have to be missing gel coat to cause decay. Lexel in a small tube dispenses and cures under water. Sticks to fibreglass underwater.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 06:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

That boat has a lead keel. Unless somone added FRP and gelcoat for some strange reason ... there is none.

Lead cannot absorb water.
Old 15-11-2022, 08:18   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Another vote for “don’t worry about it.”
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 09:42   #10

Thanks all for the discussion and kind welcome to the forum. There does not seem to be a clear concensus on what to do in a situation like this. Although, say, lead does not absorb salt water wouldn't exposure cause corrossion and potentially other problems? I have heard 'dropped keel' stories that start with salt water seeping in around the keel bolts, hypethetically sourced from a salt water exposed balast below.
Old 15-11-2022, 09:54   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R. View Post
Thanks all for the discussion and kind welcome to the forum. There does not seem to be a clear concensus on what to do in a situation like this. Although, say, lead does not absorb salt water wouldn't exposure cause corrossion and potentially other problems? I have heard 'dropped keel' stories that start with salt water seeping in around the keel bolts, hypethetically sourced from a salt water exposed balast below.
Take it from me, a consensus on this forum? If a boat sank, I don’t think we would all agree that it sank or not. Some of us would think it was still floating. Ha ha ha.

You have to take all of the different opinions and make your own judgment from them. Which is really nice because you do get a lot of input from different directions. But it’s not always easy.

In any case, the keel bolt worry is nothing.

There is a big layer of 5200 goo between your lead keel and the boat, typically on a non-encapsulated keel.

That will be keeping the water out.

If you still want to worry a little, you could check to make sure that that seal is still good. You hit something with the front of the keel, so up in the front there, where the keel meets the hull, check to see if the seal has separated or not. Probably not.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 10:14   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

Bolt on keel failures happen when the seal between keel and hull fails, causing the bolts to corrode away. Unless you hit the bottom really hard, that probably didn't happen. It's just a little exposed lead. Lead doesn't really corrode so the worse thing that can happen is you'll get a little fouling where the paint scraped off. There shouldn't be any glass on the lead part, not to make anything easier, it's just not needed so they don't do it. We sometimes see glass laid around the keel/hull joint, done because it was leaking. That doesn't work.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 10:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R. View Post
I have heard 'dropped keel' stories that start with salt water seeping in around the keel bolts, hypethetically sourced from a salt water exposed balast below.
From a retired Certified Marine Corrosion Tech.... unless your keel/ hull joint is breached ... No.
Old 15-11-2022, 10:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Exposed fiberglass below waterline

Don't worry about it, when you get hauled you may need to do some filing and fairing before the AF but no way is your keel gonna fall off tomorrow.. or the next day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 11:22   #15

Great input! As a follow up regarding keel bolts. I have no signs that the keel bolts or hull/keel joint on this boat is compromised, before or after this reef bite but I am wondering about maintenance. These bolts are stainless and there is water drainage that makes it into the bilge on occasion.
Does it make sense to clean the threads, loosen the nut and retighten periodically? Should this be done while hauled or is one nut at a time ok in the water?

Tags
fiberglass, water