Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 00:56   #106

Boat: X442
Re: Experience of trying to buy a starter monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonius View Post
Well I can assure you the sellers sure aren't seeing it that way. They want their initial cost plus what they put into it.
OK I see, but wanting is something different to getting. My earlier point was of course assuming you hang on to your boat for quite a long time. By the time I sell my boat for example I can expect to receive a fairly small fraction of what I paid for it + what I put into it. So, like any other hobby that is taken seriously, sailing also simply costs money. It is an investment in life, not a monetary one...
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:03   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
OK I see, but wanting is something different to getting. My earlier point was of course assuming you hang on to your boat for quite a long time. By the time I sell my boat for example I can expect to receive a fairly small fraction of what I paid for it + what I put into it. So, like any other hobby that is taken seriously, sailing also simply costs money. It is an investment in life, not a monetary one...
TBH given the age of the boat we are looking at we expect to either give it away to a young sailor or recycle it after we're done but the previous owners aren't interested in that. They would rather see the boat rot than take less money which unfortunately they have the right to do. We're just moving on and keep looking for the right opportunity. If it takes 5 years then that's what it takes.
Demonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:03   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I disagree. Taking that Trapper 500 for example, if maintained I suspect Demonius could recoup much of the investment plus improvements, in 5 years time. The yacht looks in good condition, clean and tidy. If presented again like that perhaps with new sails, then unless the market tanks completely, it is likely to sell again. It's in a price range of second hand car and personal bank loan for a family on an average budget. The key will be keeping it spotless and presenting it that way.

What I do like to see is the cushions have been replaced. The stove looks recent as does the B&G plotter and Tactic wind instruments. Someone has invested time and money in that yacht over the years, always a good sign. There appears to be a tiller pilot and a wind generator on board. Finally standing rigging in 2016.

Though I agree with a more expensive yacht like your X-Yacht there will be a hit unfortunately.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:03   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe you should consider something like this in N Wales.. It needs very little work according to the write up, is well equiped and the bilge keels will save on maintenance costs and also for those times you get caught out by tides.
They have a good rep and sail well.. also being N Wales close enough for the owners to deliver over a weekend.
Could this be your 'Gem' ?
I have been looking at it seriously but theres an Everett 29 in Greece that looks tasty as well.. Temptation..

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/trapper-500/619173
What a lovely looking boat, thanks for the tip Boatman61.
TurquoiseTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:04   #110

Quote:
So, like any other hobby that is taken seriously, sailing also simply costs money. It is an investment in life, not a monetary one...
Yes I agree, its an investment in life. But I still want to be wise about how I spend my hard earned money.
TurquoiseTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, grass, hull, monohull