Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 18:16   #1

Expanding Forward Hatch

Proud new owner of a 1979 Ericson 27. Out of an abundance of caution I was thinking about expanding the forward hatch. Due to the current hatch's awkward location directly above the bulkhead separating the v-berth from the rest of the cabin, I doubt any regular size adult could use it as an escape hatch if ever needed. I was planning to either expand the current hatch so that more of the open area was actually in the v-berth and someone could get out if they had to, or I could just add another bigger hatch further up on the bow. Both options would involve cutting into the deck. Anyone done this before and have any product or installation recommendations? I don't want to do something gimmicky and I don't want to be chasing leaks.
Deep Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 22:26   #2

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Expanding Forward Hatch

I did this and used the Lewmar Ocean 60, one of the best things we did to the boat yet. Our boat is a Columbia 29, close to the same size you have. It adds so much light, ventilation and if you look at the Ocean Air screen cover you have a perfectly fit blackout shade and bug screen.

Overall construction of the Ocean 60 appears to be excellent. I have just received all new portlights for the entire boat that match the Ocean 60 from lewmar and will be putting them in over the next week or two Lord willing. I also have a Lewmar Ocean 30 hatch ready to add to the boat also for even more options.

I doubt you will have any leaks at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0363.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	196256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Too.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	196257  

Click image for larger version