Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 22:06   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Even mono sailors advise is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I can only tell you what he told me, and yes he did sail solo . Obviously it's also influenced by where you sail. I have no reason to believe he was lying or my memory has failed me , but who knows it may be. .lol.... he was one of the most interesting and philosophical guys I've met. You can Google him.
He's also raced large cats solo around the world, so he's not shy of speed.
Cheers Dale.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I know who he is, and I am sure that's what he said and did. I am just trying to internalize a boat capable of beating at 12kn and a fresh breeze, averaging 8.33kn over the course of a day.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 22:13   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

If you're serious about wanting to build one, but would think about a rebuild instead. I can give you info on a Chris White 39' Tri in Guatemala that can be purchased cheap. We were in the process of buying it, invested a ton of time, but the survey showed some serious issues, and I didn't want to get into that much work there.

Just looking at these photos again make me tear up. I'd love to see her fixed and sailing again.

Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04998.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	122071

Name:	DSC05001.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	122072

Name:	skyhook cabinB&W-XL.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	122073
Old 05-04-2016, 22:23   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
If you're serious about wanting to build one, but would think about a rebuild instead. I can give you info on a Chris White 39' Tri in Guatemala that can be purchased cheap. We were in the process of buying it, invested a ton of time, but the survey showed some serious issues, and I didn't want to get into that much work there.

Just looking at these photos again make me tear up. I'd love to see her fixed and sailing again.

Matt

Attachment 122071

Attachment 122072

Attachment 122073

Ive sailed SkyHook before and she is indeed an awesome boat, but she has been neglected for a long time. Way fast, but really spartan accomodations.

Would love to see her fixed up too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 22:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive sailed SkyHook before and she is indeed an awesome boat, but she has been neglected for a long time. Way fast, but really spartan accomodations.

Would love to see her fixed up too.
I'm extremely jealous you got to sail her. I fell in love the first day I saw her... spent the next year (even delayed departing for our Atlantic crossing) trying to purchase her from the absentee owner. Finally got Capt. John aboard to look her over while we were in Miami, only to find rot in the Western Red Cedar core.

Funny, I thought the interior was very roomy and liveable for a 39' fast tri. Comfy bed, decent galley, and wide and long settees.... what more could you ask for?

Name:	3894192_-1_20120411122157_7_0.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	122076

Name:	3894192_-1_20120411122157_6_0.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	122077

Here are the dirty bits:

Name:	SAM_0117.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	122074

Name:	SAM_0132.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	122075
Old 06-04-2016, 04:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn

This is how we think the interior can look like; we dream for 2 couples long distance cruising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.png
Views:	191
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	122081  
Old 06-04-2016, 05:31   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreavanduyn View Post
This is how we think the interior can look like; we dream for 2 couples long distance cruising.
Look at the photos of the trimaran above and compare to the layout in your drawing. Note that the photos show a high performance trimaran with cabins only in the main hull. The amas are very small and only large enough for storage.

You can certainly build a trimaran like your drawing but it will be much larger and much heavier than a performance trimaran and you will not see high speeds you mention.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:00   #22

Skipmac is right.

Your big, roomy layout will surely change the performance you thunk you'll get from a trimaran.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:28   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn

Appreciate that but read that the Neel 45 won the ARC with 5 and half hours lead on a 50' cat.

Also they calculated speeds 2 x that of mono hulls and faster than cats of similar length ......goes basically for all tri's compared with similar length other built.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29   #24

Good luck on that, but it's not going to happen with the design you're suggesting within 40'.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:53   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

I would start with a design you actually can touch and something you actually like. There are many tris around. Ex class 50 tri can be a fine starting point for your studies - you can sail one, you can look at a handful and then decide on what you like/dislike and how big to go with your project. Copy and paste.

If building my own, I would not even look towards things like Neel that are geared up to appeal to a mass market client. Alas, there may be some very fine interior design ideas there so you will likely want to visit one too and glean over what fine things this team has already addressed. Copy and paste.

Once you find the design that ticks most of your boxes (or having a naval architect design something you want and cannot be had off shelf) you will want to elect a very fine multihull yard. This will likely take you to France.

As noted above, talking to Paradox owner (she is on the market right now, I think) may give you plenty of ideas to implement in your own. I would, actually, look at Paradox very close up and personal and see if perhaps adjusting it to your wants is not the shortest, easiest way to go cruising fast, soon.

If you are going for a full monty project I can possibly lend you a hand at the early stages before you walk into the design office.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 16:20   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'm extremely jealous you got to sail her. I fell in love the first day I saw her... spent the next year (even delayed departing for our Atlantic crossing) trying to purchase her from the absentee owner. Finally got Capt. John aboard to look her over while we were in Miami, only to find rot in the Western Red Cedar core.

Funny, I thought the interior was very roomy and liveable for a 39' fast tri. Comfy bed, decent galley, and wide and long settees.... what more could you ask for?

Attachment 122076
Attachment 122077

Here are the dirty bits:
Attachment 122074
Attachment 122075
Well, its all relative, given that its a tri the accomodations are pretty good, but if I bought her...I would be cruising alone.

Bit of ugly rot there, how wide spread is it?

The Rio is a great and very cost effective place for a refit, you could always negotiate down due to survey issues and get her back in shape. Be happy to help with a test sail !

There is an old big beast of a tri (50'+?) thats been on the Rio for decades called "THAT". She is in horrendous condition, but I bet could fly too back in her day.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 16:37   #27

Having a boat built is a bit like building a house. A PITA. Can your marriage survive it? Do you have years to get it done? Building your own is much harder...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:01   #28

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I don't know anything about 'Tri' or 'Cats' for that matter. I've visited on one Tri, home built exceptionally well. It was a massive boat in outside size, compared to my 36 footer. But I was surprised to find it was quite cramped inside. Cat's are generally much roomer.

But just something you may need to research and that is 'insurance'. The Tri I visited on could not get insurance at all, or it was a case of he felt it was way too expensive to get. I tend to recall him saying insurance company's won't cover a TRI. But I may be wrong on that. Worth looking into though.

And secondly, Cat's and Tri's are much more expensive when it comes to visiting marina's. Something else you should consider.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

But just something you may need to research and that is 'insurance'. The Tri I visited on could not get insurance at all, or it was a case of he felt it was way too expensive to get. I tend to recall him saying insurance company's won't cover a TRI. But I may be wrong on that. Worth looking into though.

Bunk. Not true.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Well, its all relative, given that its a tri the accomodations are pretty good, but if I bought her...I would be cruising alone.

Bit of ugly rot there, how wide spread is it?

The Rio is a great and very cost effective place for a refit, you could always negotiate down due to survey issues and get her back in shape. Be happy to help with a test sail !

There is an old big beast of a tri (50'+?) thats been on the Rio for decades called "THAT". She is in horrendous condition, but I bet could fly too back in her day.

Is "That" the schooner or ketch tri over by Bruno's?

Unfortunately, the thought of a highly stressed boat with components not in perfect order, scared us away from the deal. I could have been ok with cosmetics both inside and out, but not with the possibility of a ama breaking off at 20kts.

I talked with the builder, and he said each strip of WRC was covered/encapsulated in epoxy before being applied to the frame and glassed inside and out. I was just surprised at how far the rot wicked along the hull. It still wouldn't be too bad to repair, but I'd always have worry in the back of my mind.

Matt

Tags
sail