Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 09:14   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Engine Flush

how many of you flush the engine after EVERY run. i know this is good procedure for keeping her running tip top, but an outboard on a sailboat in a slip makes it a little impractical in my eyes. also, how many of you sarve the engine of fuel vs just killing it ?
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:12   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Engine Flush

When I had my boat on a mooring ball and used the dinghy each time I went aboard, I used to close the fuel valve on the outboard before coming back ashore, to avoid gas fumes later in the car. When arriving home, I ran the engine for a few moments (the time to empty the carburettor again) in a drum full of fresh water.

Of course, I don't do all of this when cruising.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 14:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Flush it when you can but don't drive your self crazy worrying about it. You can probably rinse off the outside with the dock hose each time you come in and when you get the chance run some of those salt disolving chemicals like Salt Away through it. If you know it's going to be a long time before you use it again, then the effort to flush is probably worth while.

On the subject of starving the engine of fuel to empty the bowl, if you are going to run it again in less than a week, it's probably not useful. In fact it has some danger involved when you do it to a two cycle engine. On a two cycle you are not only starving it of fuel but also oil. An outboard mechanic once told me that if I wanted to shut off the fuel and run a 2 cycle dry, I should listen for the RPM to increase slightly, then turn the engine off. When you hear the increase in RPM you know the engine is running very lean and that can damage a two cycle.
Old 22-07-2011, 05:55   #4

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

We flush our once a month by removing the prop then run it in a bucket of 1% vinager in cold water and we havent had a problem since we bought it 8 years ago
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 11:19   #5

Thanks everyone, I always hose off the exterior the best I can then at the end of each season do the proper steps for winterization. Just cant imagine doing it EVERY time i reach the dock.
Old 26-07-2011, 12:10   #6

When I regularley use my outboard engine I don't bother flushing. What I try to prevent is salt crystals forming internally caused by non use when allowed to dry out. Salt water flushes these out regularly with frequent use. I usually run the carb dry of fuel when not used every day. Also its a good idea to raise the engine to save the zinc.
saben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 09:40   #7

I use it on regular basis, at least 3 times a week if not more and always tilt up out of the water and hose off.

Tags
engine, engine flushing