Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 08:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau
Engine control positioning.

I've noticed that many boat builders continue to put the engine controls at ankle height on many newer design boats. Having sailed one boat with this type control I can honestly say that it would be enough to sway me away from purchasing any boat with it in this position. I've sailed for a decade now and where I sail i rarely dock or moor in winds of less than ten knots and often times it will be twice that or more. The idea that bending down to reach the control and taking your eyes off your intended target for a second is enough in strong winds to result in a do over.

My experience tells me it's a silly idea where there are better designs that lead to better ergonomics and for better reasons than a sleek look.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:36   #2

Re: Engine control positioning.

Well, most I see now days are on a wheel pedestal. Are you talking real small boats with no wheel? A lot of smaller old boats did that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Engine control positioning.

No, my boat is like he describes, my biggest peeve is that I’ll often hit it with my foot accidentally.

However as I consider my boat to primarily be a sailboat, I gladly accept the less than optimum position of the engine control as it’s out of the way, it’s an auxiliary engine of course.

Now if it were a power boat, then I would say that it’s positioning was stupid.
However you do have to lean over to use the control, or use your foot. I lean over as my foot isn’t as precise.

Of course my engine instrument panel is off to the side too and not in front of me like on a power boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Engine control positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, most I see now days are on a wheel pedestal. Are you talking real small boats with no wheel? A lot of smaller old boats did that.
Oddly no. Some of the boats I've seen like this are above 50 feet but it does seem to involve the streamlining of the pedestal to the point where there isn't much room. The most recent example was a magazine I'd picked up with a feature on the Euphoria 54. The controller was position near deck height on the starboard side.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine