Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 11:30   #1

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Emergency Rudder Materials for Swan 36

I have had my boat for about 4 yeas now. I am nearing the point of work where I plan to leave the US and sail in the Caribbean for the next few years. Starting in the southern Bahamas and heading south.
I'm closing in on completing my checklist prior to departing. I will complete it soon.
One thing I have given thought to but have never been able to find is a reference for is making an emergency rudder or found a good thread describing how this can be done.
I know that the skeg hung rudder on my boat is a good design and mine is very solid and is in good condition. I do understand that it is always possible to have your rudder destroyed or damaged.
My boat has tiller steering and has a Monitor wind vane.
I am wondering if I have the needed materials on board to create an emergency rudder and how to install it and use it. Or can somebody point me to a resource that describes how this could be done.
Thanks
Old 16-11-2015, 12:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Emergency Rudder Materials for Swan 36

You might read:

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/emergencyrudder.pdf
http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Stee...a%20Rudder.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:28   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

What do you picture happening? With a tiller you have all those steering problems out of the way. Do you think the whole skeg could break off taking the rudder with? Maybe one thing that could happen is the rudder could come loose from the shaft and the tiller would not do anything. In that case, a set up to pull the rudder either direction with some lines would be nice. Drill a hole through the top aft corner of the rudder, maybe put a metal bushing in it so it won't wear out. As for a complete spare rudder, put a tether on the old one so you don't loose it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ Guy you need a bit more imagination . . . there are many ways that rudder type could (and has) 'failed'. There have been whale strikes that wiped out the whole rudder. The bearings have failed. The shaft has crevice corroded and broken off. The rudder/shaft has been bent and rudder jammed up against the hull so it will not turn. And the welds can fail inside the rudder so the shaft just spins (as you mention). Those are a few of the ways I have actually see in real life.

It is not super frequent - but it does happen.
Old 16-11-2015, 12:39   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Look at the monitor mrud for inspiration. I modified my old flemming so the servo rudder could be lashed in place. This had just enough steering to work. And it would be easy to bolt some larger ply or aluminium skins around the vane servo rudder to enlarge it for better steering. Add a good drogue led from the ends of your spinny pole lashed across the stern and it would work with reduced sail, and under motor.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-11-2015, 13:31   #6

esterzinger: Thank you very much these two papers they are excellent papers I will include in my onboard documentation. Exactly what I was looking for.
With a few small additions to my collection of spares I should have what I might need to get along. Since I have the drogue, the wind vane suervo rudder, some "starboard" I carry for various repairs. I have the basics. I'll get some extra large hose clamps, etc. Thanks

All other thanks for the input.

I feel I can be much more prepared now.
Old 16-11-2015, 13:32   #7

No way you can carry a spare "everything" better off with a good tool kit and lots of spare assorted hardware.
In an emergency anything onboard is suitable repair material, table, hanging locker door, spinnaker pole.........
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:47   #8

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
I have had my boat for about 4 yeas now. I am nearing the point of work where I plan to leave the US and sail in the Caribbean for the next few years. Starting in the southern Bahamas and heading south.
I'm closing in on completing my checklist prior to departing. I will complete it soon.
One thing I have given thought to but have never been able to find is a reference for is making an emergency rudder or found a good thread describing how this can be done.
I know that the skeg hung rudder on my boat is a good design and mine is very solid and is in good condition. I do understand that it is always possible to have your rudder destroyed or damaged.
My boat has tiller steering and has a Monitor wind vane.
I am wondering if I have the needed materials on board to create an emergency rudder and how to install it and use it. Or can somebody point me to a resource that describes how this could be done.
Thanks
Are you a member of the S&S Swan Owners group? Their forum is a great resource for older Swans.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:55   #9

Boat: Hylas 49

I had to build an emergency rudder for offshore races. i built an oak frame with large gudgeons that can be lashed to the transom and a rudder blade from a Laser daggerboard. The tiller is 1 x 3 oak that projects aft. Lines run from the end of it to snatch blocks to winches. It all breaks down and is stored in the lazarette (so no pics), and it works!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:09   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ Guy you need a bit more imagination . . . there are many ways that rudder type could (and has) 'failed'. There have been whale strikes that wiped out the whole rudder.
It is not super frequent - but it does happen.

You are so right, I never imagined being attacked by a whale in the Bahamas.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You are so right, I never imagined being attacked by a whale in the Bahamas.
Just for fun . . . .here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	humpback_range.gif
Views:	209
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	113190
Old 17-11-2015, 08:33   #12

I found that the only way to prepare for everything is tow an identical boat, that way, all spares are available. Otherwise Murphy will dominate.
It is impossible to be prepared for everything, but reasonable preparations are appropriate.
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebein View Post
I found that the only way to prepare for everything is tow an identical boat, that way, all spares are available. Otherwise Murphy will dominate.
It is impossible to be prepared for everything, but reasonable preparations are appropriate.
I have often had the same though. Seems a bit impractical though.

I feel I have come to a point where my preparations are reaching that reasonable point. I have even discarded several items I now consider not critical. I have read several times about people loosing a rudder and being a relatively new sailor I thought it would be useful to get a bit of advice.

Thanks for a good chuckle.
Old 17-11-2015, 10:39   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Most people's plans to make a replacement steering system like a spinnaker pole with a board attached have proven unworkable in real life. Whatever you come up with, test it in the real world before you have to use it in anger. Best thing would be a plywood rudder/tiller with pre installed gudgeons on the stern. Doesn't have to be huge but large enough to steer the boat under reduced, balanced canvas.

WindPilot makes a commercial emergency rudder if you don't want to fabricate one yourself. windpilot.com

Beautiful boat, btw.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 10:57   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

With a Monitor already solidly mounted, you should be able to clamp custom made emergency rudder gudgeons to its frame using simple U-bolt clamps. Or even weld/install permanent gudgeons, as long as they don't interfere with normal self steering operation.

The emergency rudder and tiller could be one of Scanmar's or a home built equivalent, designed to disassemble for stowage.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, rudder