Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 00:39   #1

Boat: boatless
Ellemaid 71 - curious about this boat

Saw these posts about the Ellemaid 71, now named Hooligan.

I’m curious about the significant price variation. What’s wrong with this boat? Seems like a great boat if one is interested is such a large vessel. Too big for us. But seems like a good learning experience for those of us in the market. Is it the small group of potential buyers that drags the price? Is it a strategy to attract buyers like listing a house way below market?

Hopefully it is proper etiquette to post a specific boat for sale. It’s a beautiful boat, IMHO. I know almost nothing about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Efficient trawlers such as the 71' Ellemaid have been offered for sale at $400k in recent times. Ellemaid71

One will have no problem circumnavigating on such a boat and could learn to handle it in less time than a "proper" sailing cat.

Take some of the money saved and self insure, hire a skipper for as long as needed. Its only money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Called Hooligan now and $270k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-71-2455144/

$245k here
https://www.dreamnautical.com/BOATS/BUEHLER-71

Not the best choice in engine IMHO
6.7 litre iveco N67 giving 150hp @ 2800rpm in steel could get a bit noisy

10.45 litre 6lxb Gardner giving 127hp @ 1500rpm would be far more pleasant to listen to.
Quote:
Wow, the price just keeps dropping. She was built in Turkey and I'm sure the choice of the Iveco engine was an economy measure, since they are a readily available engine in Europe. I think the engine speed is very comparable to a 6 cylinder Cummins, but the Gardner engines do have a great reputation.

The paint seems to have been freshened up in the latest pictures, it had been chalky on the exterior before. Also notice several different prices on the last listing from $500k to $245k.

Definitely seems a great boat for the price, wish I had that much to spend... A similar price to the trailerable tugs with their 75-125hp engines.
Old 20-02-2021, 00:49   #2

Re: Ellemaid 71 - curious about this boat

I think I’ve just fallen down the motor sailor hole. Again.
Old 20-02-2021, 06:00   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

A long boat with very little room inside and an interior with no windows as if it was a sailboat. It would be great to go to distant shores, but not so good to stay there. It is optimised for ocean crossing and the livability has suffered. If you can deal with the compromises inherent in this type of boat with a 12’ beam and close to or over 80’ of dock space needed then more power to you.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 08:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
A long boat with very little room inside and an interior with no windows as if it was a sailboat. It would be great to go to distant shores, but not so good to stay there. It is optimised for ocean crossing and the livability has suffered. If you can deal with the compromises inherent in this type of boat with a 12’ beam and close to or over 80’ of dock space needed then more power to you.
Thanks for your reply. Interesting your perspective is different than mine. Must be compared to your awesome motor yacht. I see plenty of windows. Especially in the Pilot House. I agree, it’s very long for just two cabins. But they’re huge cabins.

Like I said, it’s too big for us. But my question was about the price. This boat seems underpriced for what it is. I’m wondering what is wrong with it. Steel hull. Maybe rust? I dunno. The more I research it, the more I like it.
Old 20-02-2021, 19:31   #5

She was launched July 23 2009, so unless there was a major electrolysis problem, corrosion seems unlikely. I'm pretty sure she has been floating empty at a mooring most of the time and the paint had become somewhat weathered, but it looks like that had been addressed. Given how big the vessel is, she was rather spartanly fitted out and I'm sure that has turned off the usual trawler type owner who is accustomed to more glazing and better outside views.

Given the more recent radical price drop, I don't think she will be on the market a long time anymore. This style of vessel is more rugged that vessels with larger windows so it would suit an owner wanting to go to higher latitudes. For warm climates it looks like it needs optimizing to provide shaded outside living space.

Given the boats location in Indonesia, she already has at least 6000nm on her belt, assuming she passed through Suez. If she went the other way through the Atlantic, then who knows how many miles. The only catch is that the engine is a 6 cyl NA engine rated seemingly for 150hp. I have to wonder if that is a bit anemic when the weather is foul ?? No doubt fine for average conditions and rated so low I'm sure the engine would run forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming View Post
Thanks for your reply. Interesting your perspective is different than mine. Must be compared to your awesome motor yacht. I see plenty of windows. Especially in the Pilot House. I agree, it’s very long for just two cabins. But they’re huge cabins.

Like I said, it’s too big for us. But my question was about the price. This boat seems underpriced for what it is. I’m wondering what is wrong with it. Steel hull. Maybe rust? I dunno. The more I research it, the more I like it.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 00:03   #6

Westcliffe, thanks for your reply.

I’ve read the designers websites almost in full. Still working on it. Turns out I wrongly referred to Hooligan as a motorsailor. A pleasant way to spend a cold grey weekend. I love his philosophy behind troller yachts and sail assist backups. I am enamoured.
Old 21-02-2021, 00:21   #7

Quote:
The only catch is that the engine is a 6 cyl NA engine rated seemingly for 150hp. I have to wonder if that is a bit anemic when the weather is foul ?? No doubt fine for average conditions and rated so low I'm sure the engine would run forever.
I read a dispatch from the owner to the designer shortly after launch. The boat travelled to Greece in some heavy weather and performed as anticipated. At one point they even went under sail alone due to what they thought was engine troubles. Turns out they used half of the 1000 litres of fuel they took on (8000 litre capacity) and the tanks design was such that at 500 litres something happens to prevent sucking air in heavy seas. Can’t remember exactly. I’ll have to reread it.

Though such low engine hours on the listing. I wonder if it’s been replaced. No, the listing shows a 2009 engine.
Old 21-02-2021, 15:56   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

With Diesel engines you need to consider torque more then horsepower. Diesels produce gobs of torque. That is a lot of boat for the money, very nice. Dockage would be a killer though. I really like it, it would be a great expedition boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:13   #9

Boat: Beneteau

I'm thinking it would appeal to the workboat crowd. At that size the purchase price is only the nibble preceding the bite out of your bank account.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:24   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I'm thinking it would appeal to the workboat crowd. At that size the purchase price is only the nibble preceding the bite out of your bank account.
Workboat crowd ?? That is a beautiful boat, I’m wondering if you saw the interior photos.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:33   #11

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Workboat crowd ?? That is a beautiful boat, I’m wondering if you saw the interior photos.
Wasn't referring to the interior finish but rather the layout and construction details. It is well documented that Beuhler based his designs on workboats and it shows in this vessel. Coming from that background I'm seeing those details in spades. It is very atypical of the modern day pleasure boat.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat