Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23   #76

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Electronic Autohelm or Self Steering Wind Vane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
...Simply put, you never have constant vectors or windspeeds in coastal waters and you navigation goes to pot if you rely on a windpilot...Windpilot is quite useless in Med waters - wind shifts and traffic levels, make attempting to use it hazardous...
I'm not sure you intended to, but implicit in your statement (above) is the acknowledgement that you won't be sailing. Because, if sailing, you will have to react to the windshifts, non-constant vectors, etc whether or not you are using a wind vane, an electric autopilot, or even hand steering.

If you ae under sail in those changeable conditions your course will be changing. A wind vane or a wind controlled autopilot simply automates those changes.

Only under the assumption that you will be motoring can you depend on steering a straight line.
Old 08-12-2019, 20:55   #77

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I'm not sure you intended to, but implicit in your statement (above) is the acknowledgement that you won't be sailing. Because, if sailing, you will have to react to the windshifts, non-constant vectors, etc whether or not you are using a wind vane, an electric autopilot, or even hand steering.

If you ae under sail in those changeable conditions your course will be changing. A wind vane or a wind controlled autopilot simply automates those changes.

Only under the assumption that you will be motoring can you depend on steering a straight line.

I can throw in course deviations either with the knob on the control, or can get on the PC and move the way-point.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:53   #78

Ah but you are sailing . but you are like a man walking --- but he needs a Crutch because he once put his foot where it should not have gone.! So he sleeps while he should be adjusting to the wind shift Ahhh dangerous move but he has another crutch!
----- "the wind shifts' Wagner plays sombre threatening music " and the electric Com pas driven Genie tries to drive the boat towards the safe course and cannot as it reaches its limit of RUDDER MOOVEMENT Daaaa DUMMMM !!!! and the boat is not moving as the sails are "Aback" DAAAAA SCReetch. So like a good electronic Genie it sounds its alarm Beep Beep beep bep BEEP! THIS wakes the sailor and he struggles on deck swearing at the wind (bad thing to do) ---- adjusts -- the sails---
And like any good survivor SAILOR Urinates on the self steer mechanism --- "There that will teach you" and rushes back to his erotic dreams and warm sleeping bag!
" Survival of the Species" "Regardless of their Artistic Value" By Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:14   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pope View Post
Ah but you are sailing . but you are like a man walking --- but he needs a Crutch because he once put his foot where it should not have gone.! So he sleeps while he should be adjusting to the wind shift Ahhh dangerous move but he has another crutch!
----- "the wind shifts' Wagner plays sombre threatening music " and the electric Com pas driven Genie tries to drive the boat towards the safe course and cannot as it reaches its limit of RUDDER MOOVEMENT Daaaa DUMMMM !!!! and the boat is not moving as the sails are "Aback" DAAAAA SCReetch. So like a good electronic Genie it sounds its alarm Beep Beep beep bep BEEP! THIS wakes the sailor and he struggles on deck swearing at the wind (bad thing to do) ---- adjusts -- the sails---
And like any good survivor SAILOR Urinates on the self steer mechanism --- "There that will teach you" and rushes back to his erotic dreams and warm sleeping bag!
" Survival of the Species" "Regardless of their Artistic Value" By Pope
If you put furuno's windex on top of the mast the 711C will steer to the wind just like a vane.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:12   #80

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
If you put furuno's windex on top of the mast the 711C will steer to the wind just like a vane.
I'm sure the Furuno works very well in all modes, but all the brand name and several of the off-brand AP's will steer to a wind angle setting.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'm sure the Furuno works very well in all modes, but all the brand name and several of the off-brand AP's will steer to a wind angle setting.

I am sure they do, but I know that is a recent development, there are still a lot of folks running older autopilots out there that don't do much other than hold a heading.
Old 09-12-2019, 20:37   #82

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
I am sure they do, but I know that is a recent development, there are still a lot of folks running older autopilots out there that don't do much other than hold a heading.
My B&G AP was installed in year 2000 and it has steer-to-wind mode, along with course/waypoint, heading, and power modes.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, helm, self steering, steering, wind, wind vane