Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 17:26   #46
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: dyneema/specta lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I tried Spectra for running backstays a few years ago. Great for low weight and low stretch but not good at all unless you plan to replace it very often. It wears poorly. After a couple years the surface of it became very fuzzy and the whole line actually wore through in one place where it came into contact with my plastic covered lifeline when not being used (hence, not under tension). I can't see anyone trusting any kind of thin rope for lifelines.
I made some short strops from Marlow 5mm d12 sk99 and fitted them to the mooring lines so they were in contact with the fairleads and one of the springs ran over a piece of stainless angle, left in place over a particularly nasty UK winter with one storm after another so the boat was getting thrown about a lot.
Amazing stuff, a tiny bit of chaff but considering the vicious work they had to do hardly anything.

So my lifelines are now d12.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 21:00   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Old thread, but I am interested because I was told by my surveyer to replace my perfectly good wire lifelines. Yes it may be expensive, so why not use Dyneema?

I tried Spectra for running backstays a few years ago. Great for low weight and low stretch but not good at all unless you plan to replace it very often. It wears poorly. After a couple years the surface of it became very fuzzy and the whole line actually wore through in one place where it came into contact with my plastic covered lifeline when not being used (hence, not under tension). I can't see anyone trusting any kind of thin rope for lifelines.

Another point: You definitely want your lifelines to be bright white so they are easy to see at night. If you could find a bright white rope it would soon turn to gray.
This actually sounds a lot more like Kevlar than dyneema. The fuzzing is notorious for Kevlar, but pretty minimal for dyneema. At least without substantial abrasion.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 21:56   #48

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

This was a while back so my memory is probably incorrect about the chafe and type of line actually used. I'd like to try one of these new types of rope for lifelines. Any suggestions as to product name, what size and is it eyesplice-able by a mere mortal (me).

AD28 suggests New England Ropes type WR, thanks but I couldn't find any more information such as sizes or construction (number of strands, etc) in the website.

Pardon my ignorance, but why the need for a quick release of the lifeline - is it to aid in retrieving man overboard?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 06:04   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Most people use an uncovered sk-75 dyneema like amsteel. If you want to get fancy then adding a dyneema chaff sleave where it hits the stantions is a good idea but not necessary. What is necessary is to take a very fine metal file and smooth any metal burs in the ferrule that goes thru the tube.

If you are going to add chaff leaves then you will need to go one size smaller than the maximum size that can fit thru the ferrules. If not then go with the largest line that will fit. It's grotesquely over size, but it's a minimal cost increase and will add years to their lifespan. The minimum size that's acceptable is 3/16 but since there is little downside to going larger I always do.

As for splicing... I generally figure it takes two practice splice to make ones that are usable. But this stuff is the easiest line I am aware of too splice, so I wouldn't be suprized if the first practice one is usable really. Just look for a guide that uses lock stitches instead of brummels. They are actually easier, and stronger.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 06:25   #50
cruiser

this is a pic of my installation

Just do a search for 'Teufelberger WR2' or 'New England Ropes STS-WR2' somewhere there is technical data I'm sure
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines