Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 08:17   #1

Dufour 382 Propane locker

I was just out looking at a Dufour 382 and noticed the propane locker seemed incredibly small (looked like enough room four a 4lb bottle) as opposed to other boots which seem to be able to fit 2 large sized bottles.

Anyone with a similar Dufour who can comment?
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 01:00   #2

Boat: Dufour 382 38'
Re: Dufour 382 Propane locker

This is the "new standard" size on European boats, something with regulations I guess... Found about the same dimensions on Bavarias and - if I recall correctly - Jeanneaus. The "large gas compartment" is an option with the Bavarias, not sure about the Jeanneau and Dufour though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Csory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 04:28   #3

Boat: Comet 41s

Why is that a problem? On my boat I have also only space for one small bottle. I carry a spar one. One bottle of gas is enough for about 15 days, sometimes a bit more. That is about the same time that lasts my water tankage so anyway it is time to go to a marina or port for supplies.

If one lives aboard permanently or cruise in remote places that can be a problem but that is not what the boat was designed for. If that is the use you are going to give to the boat, some modifications will be needed.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 09:28   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Are plans are to live aboard for at least a year, maybe longer with some longer ocean crossing. Not really a fan of having a propane can bouncing around somewhere in the cabin (not sure where you store yours Polux?).

I was on a 2 year old Jeanneau 379 and there was room for 2 larger tanks (which I calculate would last for a few months)... maybe this changed on the 389?

i guess a modification could be done in one of the cockpit storage compartments?.?
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 09:42   #5

Boat: Dufour 382 38'

Well, as for propane tanks bouncing around - definitely not a good idea. I'd take a long look at the regulations (the propane tank holder must be vented outside at its lowest point with no connection to the interior of the boat etc). Then would either add a purpose-built locker or modify one of the cockpit lockers with vent, holding straps etc. Just my 2c's.
Csory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 10:08   #6

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

My Bavaria has a smaller diameter tank locker for the 10-11 lb propane canisters. Not many refill stations (hardware stores, equipment rentals, marinas, etc.) have these so be sure to plan accordingly. We cook quite a lot and are amazed how long they last (over 2 months for us). Rather than have a spare tank, which must be stored in an externally vented space, I've got a cheater adaptor to allow connection to a 1-lb disposable bottle (the kind we usually use for our grill). This was a better option for us (rather than outfitting the boat with a spare tank locker). We bought our tank from WestMarine but you can find them on Amazon. Below are links to the tanks and the handy adaptors. Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...nk%2Caps%2C182

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:33   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Are plans are to live aboard for at least a year, maybe longer with some longer ocean crossing. Not really a fan of having a propane can bouncing around somewhere in the cabin (not sure where you store yours Polux?).
I have several lockers on the cockpit. I keep it on the main locker (a huge one) under the cockpit floor. As you know bottles have a small handle attached to a screw that blocks the gas opening and I have it tied firmly on a corner (by the handle) in a way it cannot move. Next year probably I will join one more bottle to that storage, not really because it is needed but because the Greek and Italian bottles, even if compatible are from different brands and the Italians don't accept the Greek ones. Plenty of space on the lockers for many gas bottles I live on the boat for 4 months a year.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 23:19   #8

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

Gas locker
The gas locker on a Dufour 40 can hold 2 propane bottles, content each 2,7 kg (the high version). These 2 bottles will keep up for 4 months if you are not using the oven every day. But that’ s in any case to hot during summer in the Med.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, propane