Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 12:11   #1

Dufour 31

Hey all
Considering a 1975 dufour 31. Anyone have any advice on this boat?
Thanks
Rakoerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58   #2

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion
Re: dufour 31

I owned a 1973 Dufour Safari, and currently own a 1975 Dufour 34. They are great boats solidly built to high standards (when we bought the 34 we were actually looking for a 31).

Only common problem I know of on Dufours that vintage is soft decks, which are very easy to fix injecting epoxy. I never liked the original Volvo engines...

Alberto
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:03   #3

What was it that turned you off about the engine?
Old 08-01-2012, 17:30   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Our friend sailed one in the Pacific. He liked the boat a lot. There is also one at the next dock that may be the most sailed boat around. I would give it a chance if the sample is sound and the price right.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: dufour 31

I'd give it a punt...
They're strongly built and pretty decent sailers.. very popular in their day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:52   #6

Compared to newer engines they are noisy, vibrate a lot, do not burn clean, spare parts are VERY, VERY expensive and increasingly hard to find, and there are very few good mechanics available for things like calibrating injectors or major overhauls. I replaced the Safari's MD6B with a 1 cylinder Yanmar and the 34's MD2B with electric propulsion, and both were good decisions (both original engines were in bad shape).

Now, if the prospect boat has an engine with good compression, that starts easily in cold weather, and burns without smoke, most likely you'll have plenty of engine hours before needing an overhaul or replacement. They only require minimum care and if you are handy, the most common repairs are simple. And they are reliable when properly maintained. The hand cranking was a nice feature to have if the batteries were depleted.

If the engine has a hard time to cold-start in 50 degrees, have someone check its compression. This applies to Volvos and to any other brand, mostly considering that we are talking of 37 year old engines.

One more thing to consider is that when it is time to re-power, if you switch to a different brand you'll need a new propeller, as Volvos turn the opposite way than the others.

Despite the Volvo, I consider the Dufour 31 a fantastic boat, and I always recommend them to friends in the market.

My 2 cents...
Old 08-01-2012, 19:49   #7

Thanks for all of the input.

We gave it a test spin today. Sailed ok in about 8 knots. Slower than what I am used to with Catalina 30's that we race a lot. Anyone know the PHRF of these 31's?

The engine started ok it seemed and did not appear to run rough but I was concerned about the bit of smoke mixed with the exhaust as I have not been used to that with the Yanmars.

Some indicate that Volvos tend to smoke but I would rather be sure before spending some bucks.

Anyone have an idea what a 75 in fair to good condition would go for? I reviewed some from EU but their prices are rediculous high to me for a 31' boat of that age. This one is not too bad but of course has 37 years of wear and tear to deal with.

Thanks again for all input.
Old 08-01-2012, 19:50   #8

Oh, you also indicate the Volvos run opposite, so then the prop walk is to starboard on this boat?
Old 08-01-2012, 20:57   #9

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I have a Dufour 35 1984 vintage,

Tough strong ocean boat. Rigged to keep going when a catalina is tied to te dock. Displacement is almost 50% in the keel. Heavy yes but not slow.

I am Off to the South Pacific in 18 months. A D35 from the Seattle has just returned from a circumnavigation.

Volvo. Old beast, bloody things are a pain but they work well enough. I have problems with the gearbox; buy secondhand whenever I can. Iy you want to race around the boys you will find faster boats if you want to go past the windard mark try the defour.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakoerber View Post
Oh, you also indicate the Volvos run opposite, so then the prop walk is to starboard on this boat?
Yes, when in reverse your stern will turn to starboard.
Old 09-01-2012, 13:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakoerber View Post

The engine started ok it seemed and did not appear to run rough but I was concerned about the bit of smoke mixed with the exhaust as I have not been used to that with the Yanmars.

If the engine is cold it will smoke (white smoke is OK, blue smoke is bad). It takes a while to warm up. Also, as these are raw water cooled engines, when in salt water the thermostat rusts and stays open all the time, resulting in the engine not reaching proper operating temperature. Easy to fix.
Old 09-01-2012, 13:53   #12

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
If the engine is cold it will smoke (white smoke is OK, blue smoke is bad). It takes a while to warm up. Also, as these are raw water cooled engines, when in salt water the thermostat rusts and stays open all the time, resulting in the engine not reaching proper operating temperature. Easy to fix.
No they can be fresh water cooled as well. As mine is. Smoke they do. Mine needs an injector job. runs and runs but been told loose fitting.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 17:25   #13

Thanks all
I will look at it more closely.

Tags
Dufour