Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 12:25   #1

Dropping the Mast with an A Frame (Catalina 27)

I'm dropping the mast on my Catalina 27 with a wooden A-Frame I've made from an old diagram and a youtube video (see diagram and video link below). Has anyone done this and have any pointers? I made the A-frame exactly like the one in the diagram with no alterations, and I'm using the boom block to lower and raise the mast.

One thing I'm wondering is suggestions on the knot to tie. The diagram recommends a noose with a long tail, but there are a handful of noose knots.

I'm a little nervous about this operation, trying to save a 1000 bucks for not using a crane and I'll have about 4 guys helping me.

Video on dropping the mast:

Diagram:

[IMG][/IMG]
HawaiiSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 12:54   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Dropping the Mast with an A Frame (Catalina 27)

I've done it on a C25 hundreds of times. Here is a few videos I made about doing it it:

One question, how is the mast on a C27 connected to the cabin top? The C25 has a tabernacle. My a-frame was connected to the control line with a bowline.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:00   #3

I need to add that I had a CDI flexible furler, if you have something like a Harken or others, that will complicate the process.
Old 31-03-2020, 13:01   #4

Thanks for the videos, my Catalina 27 has an aluminium mast step, no tabernacle
HawaiiSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau

Don't be nervous man. Extra guys will make this easy. I used for drop the mast on my Mirage 27 myself and it's far less intimidating than you'd think. In fact it's the planning that is the stress. Once you start you'll see how easy it is to manhandle such a light stick especially with that much help.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:18   #6

Boat: KP 46

If you are in a marina and know the guy next to you, just ask if you can use a halyard, makes it simple and easy. Really easy if you can use a guy on either side of you.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:07   #7

Those guys did it according to Hoyle.

In the old days this kind of hoist was done with a knot called a "timber hitch". Look up the TH on line or in Ashley's Book of Knots to see how it is made. part of the trick is to set the round turn of the hitch just a little above the centre of gravity of the mast - which is gonna be about halfway up. That way the stick will hang up'n'down during the hoist, but it'll be dead easy to grab the heel of it and guide it into a horizontal position as you ease it down.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:48   #8

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Did it many times on a C25 without much problems. It has been many years but recall using the shrouds and boom with very long mainsheet. Much easier than my current Lagoon mast.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:36   #9

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

On my Macgregor 25 I use a halyard when raising and lowering the mast. Tie off the halyard to a cleat on the mast and then run the other end over your a frame. Then to a block that you attach to the bow. From there back to a winch. The biggest load comes as the mast is close to horizontal. I would make a wooden frame to hold the base of the mast as it goes horizontal because it will want to kick up forward. With four guys you should be good. I do my Macgregor with one other person all the time.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:41   #10

Boat: CSY 44

DaveyJ, I have a C-25 with a CDI Flexible Furler and need a mast raising and lowering system like yours. Do you have the particulars like materials used, dimensions, etc. of how you built it? Thanks in advance.
duetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 14:35   #11

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Easy peasey with 4 guys,,,,,trick is to keep the base of the mast on a short leash - in one place - and not allow the mast base to move, just enough slack for it to hinge. Also keep boat stable - you dont want it rocking from side to side. Make sure you have two guys, or one big guy, on the forestay, as you lower the mast. I prefer to drop the mast while on land, using a vehicle or trailer winch to slowly lower the mast. If still in the water, I use a heavy line attached to the forestay, along with the front halyard in my gloved hands while the others keep the mast aligned and supported with the center of the vessel.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 14:55   #12

Quote:
DaveyJ, I have a C-25 with a CDI Flexible Furler and need a mast raising and lowering system like yours. Do you have the particulars like materials used, dimensions, etc. of how you built it? Thanks in advance.
Go Here:
Association Forum

Use the search function, and you will find plenty of info. In a brief explanation, I used 3/4" EMT conduit to construct the a-frame. This device would be connected to the lower foward shrouds. I had a few modifications because I always did this while underway, but most of those just make the job easier. If you don't find the answers you are looking for on the C25 site, just ask.

Join the Association, you won't regret it.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:48   #13

Well I watched the videos. Looked pretty easy. In the end the A frame broke after the foot got away from me. Nearly bonked me on my noggin. It’s really not some thing to try alone. I have proceeded to plan “D”. I’m using a “gin pole” attached to the foot of the mast and fore stay to lever it up. Good luck be safe
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:05   #14

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

What a nice surprise to see a video I made over 12 years ago still out there on YouTube! Also shocking to see how much younger I was then!

It was so long ago I don't remember all the details, but I think I used a simple bowline to make the loop that supports the mast in the center. It needs to be big enough that it will slide up the mast without hanging up on anything, and the tail needs to be long enough so you can cleat it off on the mast cleat once the loop gets up to the center of balance below the spreaders.

If you have the loop positioned near the balance point at the center of the mast, it's fairly easy to handle the foot of the mast once you have raised it off the step. Just walk it forward as you lower the mast.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:28   #15

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

What's with the 2x4's ??? I put a couple eye loops on the side of the mast about 7' up and used 1/8" wire to the cabin top to stabilize the mast side to side. The ONLY trick is to get the cabin attachment points in line with the mast pivot point so the wires are snug from start to finish. (I have swept back spreaders that are slack until vertical)

A 7' gin pole at the base of the mast (pointing fwd) and a couple wires from same mast point to end of gin pole provides leverage to get mast moving from horizontal, for raising it.

The Sandpiper 565 rig is a bit smaller that yours so a tackle might be required, but I do mine solo by raising or lowering gin pole from in front of the mast. A highfield lever might be useful for forestay attachment, but I use a 5" pellican hook at the stem. Attachment at the mast and cabintop are with carribbeaner clips so the whole thing can be unclipped and stored below easily.

I put the rig up or down in 10 min. solo with NO drama with this setup.

D

Tags
catalina, mast