Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2014, 08:01   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Dripless shaft seals

I have a Beneteau 393 with a Volvo Dripless Sahft seal. It is leaking and I am wondering how to service it. Help appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seal[1].jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	81782  
iwindance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 08:07   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwindance View Post
I have a Beneteau 393 with a Volvo Dripless Sahft seal. It is leaking and I am wondering how to service it. Help appreciated!
Is the shaft well aligned? If so the only root causes I can think ( normal wear, damage due to lack of grease or damage due to lack of burping out air when launching) require a new seal. It is easy to change it out of the water. Some people can do it in the water but I am not in that league.

Just don't let people tell you that a seal for one inch shafts will work on a 25mm shaft..

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 08:17   #3

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Dripless shaft seals

Where does it leak?

O put a bead of 4200 calking around the front of the seal and shaft, just in case the O rings start to leak. Also put a hose clamp in front of the seal to help prevents from sliding.

Its common when the shaft is turning for the seal to leak which is normal as the water lubricates the seal.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:46   #4

Boat: Albin Nova 33

I disagree. I've had a shaft seal made by PSS and it hasn't leaked a drop in eight years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 12:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSteimel View Post
I disagree. I've had a shaft seal made by PSS and it hasn't leaked a drop in eight years
OP has a Volvo seal, which is a completely different animal than a Volvo seal. Neither of them normally leaks, but that is another story.

Charlie
Old 23-05-2014, 12:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post

Its common when the shaft is turning for the seal to leak which is normal as the water lubricates the seal.
That is not correct for a Volvo seal. A Volvo seal is lubricated by grease, cooled by water and will not leak for years, to the point in can be used in some boats without a proper bilge where evena small leak makes a mess. Ignore Volvo's instuctions at your own risk. The Swedes know their engineering!
Charlie
Old 23-05-2014, 15:51   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

It appears to be leaking out of the front of the black hard plastic tube. I haven't greased it, had the boat for two years. I have mixed information about greasing, seems there is a lot of confusion mostly due to talking about different DSS. The picture I included shows the shaft end is where the water comes out.
iwindance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 15:59   #8

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

It definitely needs grease.

10. The seal should be greased after every 200 hours of operation or once a year. Press in approximately I cu. cm at each lubrication (D).

see here:http://forum.katera.ru/index.php?app...tach_id=266246
Old 23-05-2014, 16:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwindance View Post
I have mixed information about greasing, seems there is a lot of confusion mostly due to talking about different DSS.
I am afraid I do not understand what is "mixed".

Have you read the instructions from Volvo? Do you have any serious document that says that a Volvo shaft seal (not any other type of seal that relies on a different design) should not be greased?

When I say "serious" I mean something from Volvo or from an engineer who has read the instructions from Volvo and can explain why he/she knows better than Volvo..

C

Tags
seals, shaft seal