Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 14:37   #1

Dripless is dripping

Any advice on which dripless box is this? I have a minor drip now coming in and I think itís from the hose that cools it from the top. Any advice is greatly appreciated. My last boat had the traditional stuffing box. After I replaced the wax rope inside to a GFO i never had any problems at all. ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624484245.074376.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	240909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624484262.029811.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	240910
downwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 15:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150 (Papeete), Beneteau First 35s5 (Vancouver)
Re: Dripless is dripping

This looks similar to our Volvo dripless seal. I could be wrong but its hard to tell from the photos.

We had a very bad experience as a result of simple problem. The plastic threaded barb that the water hose is attached to cracked and created a slow but steady drip. We were away from the boat for several months and the water eventually filled the bilge to the level of the bilge pump switch.
Old 23-06-2021, 16:23   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

I agree, looks like a Volvo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624490444.822665.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	240938

Where is it leaking from..?

Have you ever greased it per the instructions?

https://www.generalpropeller.com/pdf...structions.pdf
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 16:47   #4

I bought the sailboat 8 months ago. Previous owner passed away so I canít call him for info or advice. I found out it is dripping after a 2 week trip in the Caribbean. I am hoping it is from the rusty clamps that the small hose connects on top. I am guessing that small hose supplies water to keep the shaft cool. I will look into the volvo dripless info to see about the grease. Thanks for the info
Old 23-06-2021, 16:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
This looks similar to our Volvo dripless seal. I could be wrong but its hard to tell from the photos.

We had a very bad experience as a result of simple problem. The plastic threaded barb that the water hose is attached to cracked and created a slow but steady drip. We were away from the boat for several months and the water eventually filled the bilge to the level of the bilge pump switch.

How did you end up fixing the problem. Is it possible to fix the threaded barb? Thanks for any info.
Old 23-06-2021, 18:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

don't know if this will help....but I got a plastic straw, filled it with grease, flattened the end to get it under the front lip of the stuffing tube and squeezed the grease out. the grease is not really used as a lubricant, but as a seal....there is a rubber o-ring inside there that seals against the shaft....and this could get worn incrementally enuff to cause a leak....

that hose....as far as I know, serves two purposes, # 1, is to get the air out of the tube as when you haul the boat out, all the water will drain out of that tube and when you splash the boat again, there tends to be an air pocket in there, which is no good, as water is used to lubricate that seal. # 2, on high speed boats, and sailboats don't qualify here, that tube is to provide water to the inside as the fast speed may suck the water out.

hope this gives you some diretion...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote