Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 18:37   #1

Boat: looking
draft

Hey guys, still kinda new here. Our house has finally sold and we are now actually shopping for our first boat. For some reason I keep finding myself looking at a catalina 38, however the draft is 6.9 ft. Can anybody tell me how restricted I will be cruising in south florida where we now live.I was told that a draft of 6.9, we would have to wait for full moon and highest tide to get out of these inlets to open ocean, also finding a slip will be more difficult. Can anybody offer some good advice or share some experiences of having a 6.9 draft. ?
Capt. Tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 19:43   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: draft

You can go places a lot of people will say you can't.
However, if you are going to cruise south Florida with a 6'9" draft sooner or later you will regret it.
If you decide to visit the Bahamas you will regret it sooner.
I would definitely get a shallower draft vessel, but you need to decide for yourself.
Old 31-07-2013, 06:18   #3

Re: draft

Agreed. You can get around most places, but you will be limited. You will have to wait for high tide to get into some marinas. Some marinas you simply won't be able to get into at all. You will have to go out and around in places where boats with a shallower draft will go right on through.

Personally, living in Tampa and planning to sail around the Gulf, Florida, the Keys, and the Bahamas, I would not even consider a boat with that much draft. I would want absolutely no more than 6' and something around 5' or even less would be much better.

My guess would be that you're drawn to this boat because it is available for a really, really good price. You see amazingly low prices sometimes on deep-draft sailboats in Florida. There's a reason for that. The reason is that people who have experience with deep-draft boats in Florida know that they are a pain in the backside around here!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft