Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 14:14   #1

Boat: 1978 Venture 25
Downeast 32-38 - Good Boat ?

I recently spent the day on a Downeast 32 sailing off Waikiki Beach.
I was impressed by the boat. What really impressed me was the room down below. I am a tall person 6' 4" and there was ample room for me to stand straight up in the salon.
I do not know anything about these boats. I'm am looking to buy a cruising boat in the near future and would love some input from those's who have knowledge of this boat. I didn't like the cockpit that much because it didn't have anywhere to rest your back against (another problem for tall sailors). It seem to sail well but we were in 10 -15 knots of wind and occassionally gust to 20 kts.
I would enjoy all advise and comments for a smaller boat (32'-38') that is ocean capitable and room inside for a tall man .
Aloha and Thank you
seatravellerhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 17:35   #2

Boat: Downeast 38 - Scappare
I own a Downeast 38, have sailed her up from Singapore to Hong Kong and while I am far from an expert sailor - I always felt safe. Its a really sturdy boat. Try Erick's Wanderlust Blog - good blog about the Downeast 38. Happy to give you more details if you are interested.
JoSchmaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 14:08   #3

Boat: 1978 Venture 25
Aloha Jo,

Thank you for your reply.
There are a few questions I have. During your sail did you find the cockpit comfortable? I realize it is a very good cockpit for being at sea (small well) but could you get comfy while sailing. Does the lack of bilge concern you? I love the fact that the boat is huge inside. (I have been aboard a 38'er too, but have not sailed one.)
Anything you might want to add to your like/dislike list of your boat is welcome.

I have narrowed down my search to a Downeast 32-38, Fuji 32-40, and an Pacific Seacraft 32 -37(this one is probably out of my price range).
So really i'm looking at just the DE and the Fuji.

Anything you could tell me would be outstanding.

Aloha and Mahalo,
John
seatravellerhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 17:41   #4

Boat: Downeast 38 - Scappare
John,
I found the boat quite comfortable - the cockpit but, even more so, the boat as a whole. She seems to be very stable in the water and we have sailed her in heavy weather. Obviously she is not a racer.... As you say she's huge inside and there is plenty of space on deck. The cockpit is small, yes - but thst didnt bother me.
Not sure what you mean by small bilge - I thought its pretty big as well! (I had the bilge pump running for a long time last time I went out - and found a leaking stuffing box had filled up the bilge completely...
One (!) of the problems I have with mine are deck leaks - I have had it looked at a few times and spend some money repaitring it (due to the lack of time I have myself), but ....no success. So the inside is humid and wet all the time (This is Hong Kong) - which again makes the huge inside pretty useless.
But she's a great boat and we really enjoy taking her out.
Jo
JoSchmaltz is offline   Reply With Quote