Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 16:17   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Shrouds go where ?
Does it have a Running Back Stay/s ?
2 lateral chainplates on each side of the boat

one chain plate at the bow, one chainplate 4 feet in front of the mast

at the rear the mast is cliped on each side of the stern railing

so the mast is fixed at 6 point altogether

all seems preaty solide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bateau a papa 014.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	17780   Click image for larger version

Name:	bateau a papa 009.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	17781  

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 17:48   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would guess that either this is one of the build variations mentioned on some web pages, or that boat was custom(ized) by the builder, or most likely, that sometime in the last 40 years, someone replaced the original mast with something "about this long" and the new mast was set up with double spreaders.

The builders *might* still have some information, if it was originally built that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 18:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
one chainplate 4 feet in front of the mast
at the rear the mast is cliped on each side of the stern railing
Not so sure about the "back stays being clipped to each side of the stern railing" To repeat the question are these running backstays?
If they are not connected to chainplates, then how is the stern railing fixed to the boat???
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:44   #19

I am not completely sure if you're asking why this particular boat has double spreaders or if you asking why any boat would have double spreaders. If you're asking the latter. The reason is that double spreader make the rig (mast) stiffer. You could make it more complex than that, but that's it at the most basic level. The mast take bending moments and a large compression load. The rigging is designed to be tension members. Things are strong when built using tension. It's a good way to maximize the strength of materials.

Did that help?
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:46   #20

I can see I need to proof read my replies a couple of times before hitting the return key. Boy that's difficult to read. Sorry about that.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 23:40   #21

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Aspect ratio

Two vs. single spreders alows the shrouds to be closer inboard, and so, closer sheeting angles on the genoa. The taller the rig (aka bigger the boat), the more this becomes important. As said earlier, on a boat in the size range to be able to carry single spreaders, doubles alow for lighter section mast section. As the boat and rig get bigger, you eventually must go to double or tripple to keep the shroud to mast angle at 12 deg. or more for stress conciderations. On smaller yachts, doubles give the advantage of lighter mast and tighter sheet angles at the expense of more complexity and parts to fail/replace/worry about.
Old 17-07-2010, 07:18   #22

Quote:
Not so sure about the "back stays being clipped to each side of the stern railing" To repeat the question are these running backstays?
If they are not connected to chainplates, then how is the stern railing fixed to the boat???
yes running backstays!! sorry not only am I french but also new to sailboats, I didnt know what running backstays where.

heres a photo of Ting a Ling from sailboatdata, shes a similar boat to mine exept for the spreaders and wood cabine. I wanted to post a link but did not know how? hope this is ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thompson_24_UK_photo.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	17785  
Old 17-07-2010, 08:25   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The designer of a boat sometimes makes options available for "utility" use of the boat or "Racing" use. A taller or thinner rig as mentioned above makes for a more flexible racing boat. To keep the thinner and/or taller "mast in column," especially if racing sails are being used, more spreaders are needed. The designer put them there - assuming that the mast is original equipment.

"one chain plate at the bow, one chainplate 4 feet in front of the mast"
That chainplate 4 feet in front of the mast / between the bow chainplate and the mast means the boat was rigged as a "cutter" with a staysail. That is why you have two spreaders versus the normal sloop version with only one set of spreaders. You many not have the inner stay rigged - look at the leading edge of the mast in the vicinity of the upper spreaders and you may an attachment point for the inner forestay.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 18:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
yes running backstays!! sorry not only am I french but also new to sailboats, I didn't know what running backstays were.

here's a photo of Ting a Ling from sailboatdata, shes a similar boat to mine except for the spreaders and wood cabin. I wanted to post a link but did not know how? hope this is ok.
Understand that you new to sail boats - there are so many nautical terms which are difficult to absorb in any language.

However, the importance of these 2 stays cannot be over emphasized.
Still we do not know how they are attached - suspect that they are NOT attached to the "stern rail" which by the way is usually constructed from thin walled stainless steel tubing similar the "Pulpit" at the front of the boat. The stern railing (sometimes called the "Pushpit") is not designed to terminate the stays that hold the mast up. Backstays would be attached to substantial chain plates in the hull of the boat. Running backstays are not designed to hold the mast up - but to tension the mast according to wind strength and direction.

The chain plate which is said to be only 4ft (1.2m) in front of the mast, is too close to the mast for it to be a staysail stay, if it's cutter rigged. This is a "babystay" Which is attached to the mast, at the front of the mast at the lower spreader, it is there to stiffen the lower part of the mast, by preventing it from flexing backwards, not a staysail stay.
This type of stay on a double spreader mast is to be found on the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37.

If you can take a picture of the "backstay" where it terminates on the hull we can understand if it is safe or not.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:19   #25

sorry I have no better photos, will take some this week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat 015.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	17794   Click image for larger version

Name:	bateau a papa 018.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	17795  

Old 18-07-2010, 13:03   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
The chain plate which is said to be only 4ft (1.2m) in front of the mast, is too close to the mast for it to be a staysail stay, if it's cutter rigged. This is a "babystay" Which is attached to the mast, at the front of the mast at the lower spreader, it is there to stiffen the lower part of the mast, by preventing it from flexing backwards, not a staysail stay. This type of stay on a double spreader mast is to be found on the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37.
We have a baby stay for this very reason.

Quote:
If you can take a picture of the "backstay" where it terminates on the hull we can understand if it is safe or not.
I would have thought if they are running backstays the pushpit connection is to hold them out of the way, but also running backstays are normally adjustable aren't they?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Babystay.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	17796  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 17:54   #27

Hello Pete,
Exactly - thanks for your picture of an actual babystay, on a Moody 31.
-------------
The boat with 2 """Aft Stays""" what ever they are ? should have standing type backstays to hold the mast up - from one of the pictures there is no provision for a central chainplate on the transom. Therefore if there are no standing backstays and these are running backstays which are merely "clipped" on to aft corners of the transom/cockpit -- yes they would be adjustable. However, what happens if the windward stay under tension lets go? or comes unclipped ? There is a very good chance that the mast will come down.
Normally in an arrangement with only adjustable backstays - the stay is fixed to a substantial chainplate, while the adjustment section/component is above that part. Could be a simple block & tackle or a complex hydraulic pump unit.
Hopefully we will see.
Old 16-08-2010, 13:45   #28

The T24 came with several rig variants, one of which was a double spreader rig (I have one) giving a narrower sheeting angle - some rigs set a larger sail area than others too.
The aft shrouds do indeed connect to chain plates on the stern quarters which are mountings for the stern rails or "pushpit" -quite normal on the T24.
The deck and superstructure are marine ply and need to be kept under cover during the winter to prevent water penetration. Correctly set up, they are good to sail.
brizard is offline   Reply With Quote