Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 08:23   #1

Boat: O'Day 302
Double luff slot- furler....how important?

I recently got a quote for a ProFurl c290 to replace my aging furler on my O'day 302. However, it only has a single luff groove instead of a double groove. While everything else seems to be great about this furler, I wonder if I would miss the agility to put two sails up at one time (wing and wing). Having not done this, it isn't a big deal right now. But I would hate to be sitting on the boat one day wishing that I bought the option.

Opinions?
Mackaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Double luff slot- furler....how important?

Haven't found a use for the second luff extrusion track in my ProFurl in the 10 years have had our boat. Suppose it could make it easier to do a sail change behind a hoisted sail or to run twin headsails for DDW sailing but wouldn't lose sleep over it. Really wouldn't ever want to actually change a headsail in high winds. Will rely on the Gale Sail, and running wing and wing in those conditions.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 12:33   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Makaroni,

The only time you'd want to fly two at once is well off the wind. If you're going to be hours and hours that way, you can set the luff grooved one to windward with the pole, and your light air jib to leeward, flying (not hanked on or in a groove).

When you want to take the second sail down, you gybe so that it lies along the inside of the furler sail, and, on the foredeck, with the halyard in one hand to ease it, ease it down while using your other hand to flake the head of it. When it's down, secure the halyard, untie the sheet (and secure it), finish flaking the sail, roll it forward, and tie with the gaskets (sail ties) in your pocket and bag it. Not hard to do when you are not rushed, and have thought it through.

With the main a bit over trimmed, for roll dampening, it can be a pleasant way to travel.

Ann
Old 28-12-2014, 06:44   #4

Ann,

I had never considered that. Would this be preferable to hanking or having a second groove? It doesn't sound that hard, and as long as its effective, I may consider it.

Roverhi,

I have seen mixed reviews about the gale sail.....would be really interested to hear your experiences with it!

Thanks for the responses!
Old 28-12-2014, 06:51   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a double slotted furler. I bought an extra sheet for my 100% jib this passed summer and tested it at the dock when the wind was right. It worked great, but I never did get a chance to use it sailing.

Hopefully, this year I can do a long downwind run with the two headsails. My boat came with the double slotted furler btw.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 07:01   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

The only time I've ever used both slots is when racing and doing a jib peel. I know that some do in fact fly two jibs from a single foil when going DDW or close it it but that strikes me as a cumbersome solution to a relatively easy situation...with several other sail configurations that are easier to manage and keep properly trimmed.

If you insist on flying two jibs I think Anne's solution is the sensible one. Yes you're letting pressure escape between them, but you have a more manageable set.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 07:15   #7

Your Oday is a wonderful choice for local sailing and coastal cruising. If you plan on racing the boat then it is better to buy a furler that you can quickly remove the drum as well as a double foil. If you plan on sailing offshore it is nice to have the option of flying 2 sails on the same foil however if you have neither of these in mind forget it and buy the one with a single foil, its cheaper and you will never use the second grove and it has no effect on resale.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 07:30   #8

I'll go with the single slot furler then. I have no desire to race, and most of my sailing will be coastal. My hope is to sail to Maine one of these days, but that is not happening this summer. Not a blue water boat, so I don't see taking it out in the middle of the drink.

I just wanted to make sure I had some good downwind sail setups should I need it.

Thanks so much
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41   #9

We had a double-slot fuller on the boat (original) for years and NEVER used the second slot. I would not let the single slot affect the purchase decision.
NYCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, import