Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24   #16

Re: Doing The Unthinkable.

It depends on the hull shape. Most sailboat hulls are not very good for that, but if it was a motorsailor etc it may be OK. Sailboats without a mast roll terribly, so your boat not having a keel is likely a good thing. You may want some kind of short stub keel down there though. Does the boat have wide flat aft sections like a Cabin Cruiser? If so it may work. If not it will be terrible. Buy an old powerboat cheap and put that Yanmar in it!

Later:OK, I found it online... that will be a very rolly boat ... it looks to be a pinched stern IOR design to start with... which was more rolly even when sailed! I suppose you could motor it around, but would be a bit concerned how stable it is with no ballast at all.... hard to say...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 00:25   #17

Boat: Miller- Whitworth 32FT
Re: Doing The Unthinkable

Thanks again everyone, for your thoughts and advice, which helped me see that my yachts shape does not lend its self to motoring without a mast and keel. So I looked around and lo and behold have found a second hand mast with a set of sails that I can afford and still retain my kidneys. Can you tell me where or how do I get hold of a collar for the through roof hole to seal the mast from water ingress and also the foot or shoe arrangement at the bottom of the mast to hold it in place. Do I have to have them made by an engineering firm or are these general things that can be bought of the shelf. I also know nothing about sheaves but will leave that to when mast arrives. Now necessity is the mother of invention, so they say....the keel.....well I am just going to have to make it myself out of steel. What I need to know is, are there set formula's for yachts sizes and weight. I guess I can find out the weight of the keels in other M&W 32s, but can any shape be applied to a keels design, as I want a shoal draft as compared to a fin keel. I am sure I could make a winged keel to bring the draft up. Any thoughts, guys and gals.
Fullblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Doing The Unthinkable

Mast collars:

Deck Collars / Mast Collars

Marine Mast Boots / Wedges on Sale

Mast Step And Deck Collar | The Rigging Company

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote